Time for a redo
  • 68 posts
  • Page 2 of 5
marcoxa wrote:
ok i made those fixes. i think its finished. if not please let me know what i need to do quickly. i'd like to get this out of the way :)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x2/123william123_2007/JungleOfDespair7_zps92a28c92.png
[image]
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I just can say I like it marcoxa ;-)

I guess somebody will say something about the lake; it doesn't fit with the rest, I don't know why (I am too bad with textures and these kind of things).
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Vexer wrote:
This is a considerable improvement. Everything looks good except for the lake. I'm going to try a few things and see if I can make it better. Go ahead and see what you can do too. I can't quite say how to change it cause I don't yet know so just try things until it looks better.

I have just small things to nitpick now. I think your name is too big. It doesn't need to be that big to be noticeable and readable so it shouldn't be that big. Every element on the map should only be as big as it needs to be so that it doesn't distract from the artwork. We put a lot on these maps with labels and circles and mini maps and it gets messy real quick, which is why we need to minimize those things. The exception is the title because if done right then it's art too.
On the same note the numbers in the mini map are one or two sizes too big and too bright. Try a cream color similar to what you did for the title.

Also, try adjusting the hue of the forest slightly (1 or 2) toward red.

Now that the mountains are gone you should move everything up and shorten the map as much as possible. I don't mind having to move all the territory circle locations in the database. I'm guessing that if you moving the title down, shrink it a bit, maybe put it on two lines and then move the mini map down, all you'll have to do is edit the canvas size and tell it to keep the bottom.
marcoxa wrote:
so do you want the color of the lake or the texture of the lake to change?
Matty wrote:
The lake from Marcoxa has the problem that it draws all attention - a shiney clear blue lake amidst all that green.
The lake from Vexer still has that problem (though less), but has a new problem, as it has too little texture compared to all the roughness around it.
Maybe you could add a bit brownish tint to Vexers lake, and take some of the textures you used for your old lake.

Another problem I have is that sometimes borders dissappear completely. Crossing them with bushes is really awesome, but covering them completely is a bit overkill.

The title is too blocky and yes, you don't really need the space up there anymore.

But overall this already is a really awesome map!
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
How about putting the outline layer on top with a faded look or the trees more transparent so the lines show more?
As for the lake, fade the lines or do away with them all together...I think that will make it blend with the rest of the look of the map or make it like a beach.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
Nice thinking thorpe. I had the same idea about putting the outline layer on top of the trees but make it semi transparent. It's just an idea and might not work out but I think it's worth a try.
marcoxa wrote:
i did everything you guys suggested. i did try thorpes suggestion but it did not look good and it kinda ruined the inside the forest feel. so i did not do that.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x2/123william123_2007/JungleOfDespair9_zps1e175ecf.png
[image]
elysium5 wrote:
you did not do everything suggested...where are my sharks?  ;)
"Bad Deadpool... Good Deadpool!"
Matty wrote:
I thought sharks lived in the ocean, not in a small lake in the middle of a jungle.

Piranha's now are a different story altogether.
And if you're busy anyway, why not add a Marsupilami?

On a more serious note, I like the lake, but I think it can use a little bit more beach.

And I would like to know from other people: what is better, to have the text fit inside the territory, but far away from the territory circle, or to have it close to the territory circle, but half outside the territory...
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
ronalchn wrote:
Matty
And I would like to know from other people: what is better, to have the text fit inside the territory, but far away from the territory circle, or to have it close to the territory circle, but half outside the territory...

It depends on each specific case. It is most important that the text is clearly associated with its territory, after which you try to make it look as neat as possible. The exact location depends on the territory shape, whether the text can fit somewhere, adjacent territories and where that text will be placed.

On this map, I think labels such as Baboon, and Electric Eel might look better placed close to their circles, since they don't fit completely anywhere, and there is room in the bushes so that they do not have to overlap into other territories.
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I guess the closer the circle the best; but in same cases like Cockatoo you won't have any problem in identifying name and number of troops. In my opinion the most confusion situation it's Bamboo/Baboon but paying some attention should't be any misunderstanding.
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra