What they are for, how they are calculated, and a discussion about the reputation system
  • 104 posts
  • Page 2 of 7
Vexer wrote:
About using the reputation scores to block players from joining games, I think this could work for attendance scores but we don't know yet what the accuracy of reporting will be for Fair Play scores. Fair Play is mostly opinion even though we did define it pretty clearly.

A lot of the bad reports are automatically dismissed though because a second report is needed for it to count. But if you play two new players who don't understand that you aren't teaming, you are just playing smart by not attacking then they could both report you. These reports can be deleted by an Admin. If you have a score lower than you think you should have then I can audit all the reports against you.

Since the fair play score is mostly opinion based it's not really meant to be used for discipline. It's simply tells us and you what the site thinks of your play style. It's only effective if people check the profiles of the players in a game they want to join and decide not join if too many of the players have low reputation scores. Low being relative. I think 90 is a low score.
Vexer wrote:
@Clarke

1) To be determined. Like I said above, we don't know yet how accurate these reports are going to be so we will hold off on using the Fair Play score for other limitation.

2) Tell an Admin if you suspect a couple of players are following you around and reporting you in every game because they don't like you instead of judging each game independently. They can be banned from sending reports.

3) The system looks at your last 100 games which means it looks at games played before the system was in place. But players are not allowed to send reports for those games because they only have 3 days after the game ends to send the report. This doesn't stop an Admin from reviewing your old games and reporting you though I doubt anyone will take the time to do that so I think you'll be fine.

4) Yes players will be banned from reporting if their reports are so off that no one ever confirms them, however, it may be difficult to determine if that is that case because it could also be the case that the other players were too lazy to report even though they complained about the player in the chat.
Vexer wrote:
@ joca, a manual chat ban does not get lifted by the reputation system. Only an automatic chat ban gets automatically lifted. You still have to convince whichever admin chat banned you to lift it. And whoever lifts it I would suggest reviewing Joca's last 100 games and sending reports so that the reputation system can regulate his chat ban properly from the start.
UltrasPlot wrote:
#UnbanJoca2014

Regardless, I like this new system, but perhaps it should be made so that whenever a player makes a report everyone has to decide to concur or not... also this system doesn't really work in fog, as most people leave immediately post-game except the victim.

#UnbanJoca2014

Just my 2 cents.
Vexer wrote:
The victim can ask a moderator to provide the 2nd confirmation report in a message and the moderator can send that report at any time.
Joca wrote:
I have spent more then last 45 min, re-reading this thread, analyzing it and putting on paper your statements. And i gave up... gonna do it some other day.

Long story short

Vex i can't rationally describe you my worries about this new thing, but i know it's wrong. I'm an active member of some others forums/ sites also( geekish mostly=like this one) and i know what happen when you give freedom to people who are in p****** RL (am sorry). They tend to abuse it. Site stuff is going to overwhelmed with reports. Players are now just 2 clicks away from reporting someone. It's a big jump from sending a PM to an admin. You send a PM to an admin when you are really p***** off.

Q: Am I going be able to see who have reported me and on what basis or that's going to be anonymous ? ( as we assume someone has reported me day/ two after we have ended the game and I cant remember in which one i had problems)

-if it's not going to be, then what would stop me from reporting him back. Maybe even i spread few bad words about him, to my buddies who are playing with me every evening and then they also report him. ( oh, wait is that teaming up on higher level?).

EDIT: Sorry i haven't read post's from 16 to 20. But think my statement is clear.

point: think "filters" are not going to help site's stuff. It only gonna make their job harder.
Vexer wrote:
No need to be worried Joca, I will be monitoring how the reports are used and will make changes as necessary. For example, I can limit how many reports a player can send in a certain time period and/or how many times they can report the same player. I can change the requirement to 3 reports for the same thing in the same game or make it so that a mod has to confirm the report before their score is affected. Rather than dealing in what ifs, let it play out a while and then make adjustments. If the system fails completely then it will be disabled although the staff will probably still find use for it among ourselves for tracking problem players. None of this is set in stone so relax.

We are still figuring out the details about when and how you can review reports. I need to think on it for awhile.
Joca wrote:
Oh, ok. So it's gonna be constantly updated. Glad to here that.
UltrasPlot wrote:
Ok so I'm currently playing a guy with an attendance score of FORTY-EIGHT.

I'm wondering... in the future will there be punishments added onto the attendance score as well?
bluebird005vis wrote:
In response to Clarke's comments ( and correct me if I'm wrong Vexer ).
Past games won't be included in the score ( lucky you !).
The reason for this is very simple: yes you can make your case to an admin or moderator if you think you don't deserve to be "tagged" for something others claim you did ( like suiciding ).
If the moderators and admin's had to potentially check all players last 100 games they'd need to quit their dayjobs.
Besides the chat-ban there is no other intended effect of this system other than to make it easy for players to know what they are getting when they enter a game with a certain player.
The fact that you instantly proclaim that you'll behave more would suggest that the new system works because that is the only thing we wanted to accomplish in the 1st place.
Namely that players follow the rules and behave with a minimum of civility.
As for the bogus reporting of players because they don't like you, if you make a claim you still need to be able to show that you have a claim.
But why would 2 players that dislike you make a bogus report?
They still would have to defend their claim and if you cry wolf to many times you will get a reputation with the admin's and moderators that will make you future claims less believable.
That seems like a lose-lose to me.
Besides there are far easier ways to get even with a player they dislike.
And the chances of players teaming up to "teach you a lesson" rise dramatically if you repeat-offend.
There is no rule that says you can't single out a certain player to attack.
Sometimes I'll select a player to attack on the basis of his or her strategic strength, sometimes on the basis of their untrustworthy behavior and sometimes because they annoy me.
When you've decide to go for a certain armybonus, how do you decide wich territory you'll attack 1st?
There are many considerations and past behavior is 1 of them.
I'd rather tolerate a player next to me that I know makes good strategic decisions and isn't afraid to use some armies for the " greater good" when 1 player is getting too dominant rather than a player who will probably default when the going gets though or who suicides if you put 1 foot wrong.
When choosing wich player to attack I allways take in consideration not only the potential strategic rewards of that attack but also the potential the effect of my attack on that players potential for expansion/aggression.
You will find that if you act like an **sh*le players in general will be more inclined to remove you from areas near to them.
This serves 2 purposes, you can't weaken them and 2nd they force you to relocate next to their other competitors thereby given them the neighbour from hell.
I often use this technique, I call it "putting your mother in law on the train".
You are rid of the nagging and headache and someone else gets to enjoy here charming company and awful cooking.
There are few moves more rewarding in a game then forcing an bad player to relocate just before he or she's about to turn in their cards and forcing them to put them next to your main rival.
If you are lucky they'll kill each other and save you the trouble of wasting your own armies.
A predictably "bad player" can be used as Troyan horse and can be more deadly effective than any normal attack.
As for True-detective's comments regarding fog of war, well unfortunately there is very little you can do about teaming in a fog game.
But teaming is also rather ineffective in a fog game because of the fog, it's hard to team up when in a fog game when there are a lot of players because you seldom can see the effects of your attacks (weakening 1 player might cause another player to get way too strong very fast because the player you weakened has no armies left to stop the other player from expanding).
Teaming in a fog game is most effective when there are 6 player or less (and it gets more effective if there are less players) so if you are fearfull of teaming avoid fog games with less than 6 players.
A tab for reporting players that don't speak/write English is a bridge to far for me, there are quite few decent and very dangerous players that don't speak/write English.
Sure it's annoying sometimes but then it pays to remember that the most spoken language in the world is Mandarin followed by Spanish and English.
So when you are screaming at your screen because that player from China doesn't reply to your truce-proposal take a deep breath and relax.
I'll get of my soapbox now.
Vexer wrote:
bluebird005vis
"putting your mother in law on the train"

lol
Sygmassacre wrote:
Can we at least have some transparency with regards to who reported you and why? E.g I have been docked a point from my fair play total and have no idea why. I dont intentionally murder/suicide and im pretty sure i haven't insulted anyone. If there is something im doing wrong i would like the opportunity to rectify my behaviour but without knowing what, it is hard to do so
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
Alrogna-Arc wrote:
Is it bad to make an alliance and no one else knows except for the 2 people in the alliance?
bluebird005vis wrote:
#Alrogna-Arc
Yes, all alliances should be made in the chat so the other players are aware of the alliance.
Making a hidden alliance is teaming wich is forbiden by the rules.
Alliances should also be temporary, long term alliances ( 2 players who decide to leave each other be until all other opponents are defeated is also against the rules ).
Temporary alliances are allowed if the goal is ballancing the game, as long as there is a clearly dominant player alliances between "weaker players" is allowed.
Every player should play to win, in some cases this would easily be confused with suiciding.
If there is a clearly dominant player who is close to winning then using most of your troops to weaken this dominant player is not a suicide but your only way of trying to stay alive.
There is a clear distinction between using all or the majority of your armies to harm an opponent and using your remaining armies to survive.
I do NOT agree with some players who feel players who have "little or no chance of winning" should resign or default, there is ALLWAYS a chance you can still win as long as you have armies left and sometimes using ALL your available armies is your only reasonable course of action against an opponent who has an overwhelming advantage in army numbers.
Resigning or defaulting is NOT playing to win.
How many of the veteran players have won games where at 1 point they where reduced to a minuscule army and had no "realistic" chance of winning?
Should all of those players have resigned or defaulted?
Playing to win = trying to survive.