Fendi's memorial
  • 94 posts
  • Page 6 of 7
The_Bishop wrote:
No sorry, it can't be bcoz @mxDev has game restrictions.

Anyone else wants to substitute @dark_star?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
Okay then

Team $:
@IrisPostTempestates substitutes @dark_star
The_Bishop wrote:
Current standings:

Team 1 (a.t.) ... 7
Team 8 (R.R.) ... 6
Peri's bonnet ... 5
Team 7 (I.R.) ... 5
Team 4 (M.A.) ... 4
Team 5 (c.G.) ... 3
Team 2 (+b.j.) ... 2
Team 6 (D.g.) ... 2
Team 9 (t.b.) ... 2
Team € (+T.K.) ... 2
Team $ (Y.d.) ... 1
Team 3 (B.u.) ... 0
anuorre wrote:
I don't want to throw labels here but it's another example of poor play and unsportsmanlike conduct , and coming from a top player at it too.

Game 1420717

For context this is team assassination (2 player/ team). The targets are Team A > Team D > Team C > Team B > Team A

• Team D has managed to reduced Team C to 1 player
  • Round 7 starts
  • Fortunately, Player C1 (Team D has eliminated player C2) has a set and decided, instead of neutralizing Team B (2 players active and 8 cards between them), to go on a rampage and neutralize Team D (2 players but 3 cards between them)
  • Player C1 cashed in 40 troops, rampaged through Team D without even once attacking their target Team B
  • Thereby eliminating any chance Team D has of winning
  • Team B's growth has gone unchecked the entire game. Both players in Team B have the highest troop count individually and the most number of cards amongst all the players
  • Team C have cumulatively killed 5 troops of their target, Team B
  • 5 total troops killed of their target. 2 players in a team. 7 rounds
  • When asked - "Why did you attack team D so ruthlessly?" ----- "It's a legit move to keep your assassins in check for balance"
  • The game ended in Round 8

I am disappointed
The_Bishop wrote:
It's hard to establish if "play to win" applies to the single game or to the tournament as a whole.
Anu, your team is the favourite to win this tournament, so you can expect someone playing against you!

Anyway it is legit to attack your assassin rather than your target, unless you weaken him so much that you make him killable by his own assassin, which doesn't seem the case here because team A - your supposed assassin - is still too weak to be able to kill you! It is not only legit but recommended to attack who's winning the game, even if he is not your target nor your assassin. In other words I tend to think that if team B is hyper strong is everybody's fault and not just his assassin's fault.
Rcomer727 wrote:
The_Bishop
It's hard to establish if "play to win" applies to the single game or to the tournament as a whole.
Anu, your team is the favourite to win this tournament, so you can expect someone playing against you!

Anyway it is legit to attack your assassin rather than your target, unless you weaken him so much that you make him killable by his own assassin, which doesn't seem the case here because team A - your supposed assassin - is still too weak to be able to kill you! It is not only legit but recommended to attack who's winning the game, even if he is not your target nor your assassin. In other words I tend to think that if team B is hyper strong is everybody's fault and not just his assassin's fault.

Correction, there are co-favorites now thanks to that move :)
anuorre wrote:
I understand that that is a legit strategy. But if the game is now in Round 7, and the winner is likely, isn't it just a bad sport to destroy another person's chance of winning even if slim?

in that game, roughly at the end of round 7 (due to cards, placement and target):
team B: 65%
team D: 25%
team A and C (both, 1 player left): less than 5% each

With that being said, team C went on a rampage on another team to effectively make team B's odds - 90% and team D's - 0% . Worst part, Team D isn't even Team C's target.

Anyway, just disappointed with the play especially coming from a top ranked player. I am learning that even at that level there are players that can be rather sore when not winning. 
clarkenfeld wrote:
I almost never comment on other people's games but just a simple one here:

If someone plays in a way that is NOT legit, complain.

If it is legit, why complain? We all lose games we'd rather win. If said 'top player' was trying to win, all is fair. I know for a fact that said player is never sore about not winning. Never. So whatever their strategy was, it was not to vent their frustration.
periwinkle wrote:
Bishop thanks for hosting the tournament. Tournaments are a great way to try a new map or setting for fun and something out of your comfort zone. Blueb and I are very familiar with the assassin setting (we played hundreds of assassin games but at our old digs). As for anuorre, this is your 10th assassin game and let me explain how there is more than one legitimate strategy to win in an assassin game.

1. You can kill your target (in this case you were trying to do...but unfortunately the dice gods were not in your favour).
2. Run the board like deathmatch. This will also get you the win.
3. Change up your target so that you can get an easier kill without having to kill everyone.

ok...in your situation you successfully killed my partner BUT did not kill me. my target was the strongest team on the board. I had two options since sets were not high enough. You were going to win the game but because I survived and my partner was dead, the only chance I had to keep myself in the game was to kill one of my assassins so I only had to worry about 1 assassin...not the both of you. As a result, I left the board so that my assassin's assassin had the option of killing my assassin to help me stay in the game or they can kill someone else off who isn't their target to switch to an easier target.

Playing team games is not as straightforward as singles game. There is an added complexity of turn order extra sets that can be deployed on teammates etc. And of course, you had the element of switching targets....you can legitimately set up someone to switch targets in your favour as well....something to think about.

The crux of your complaint is you had awful dice trying to kill me. You certainly didn't expect me to fight back in a traditional way and that's what bothers you. You have never seen that type of strategy before. It's legit and really all you can blame is that you had poor dice when you had a chance to kill me off.

I'm a fighter and play to win...everyone who has teamed with me knows that I do not throw the game away and I give quite a bit of thought in my moves. I'm not going to roll over and die. That would be ruining the game and the win for you would not be as sweet or legitimate.
anuorre wrote:
If someone plays in a way that is NOT legit, complain.

That is the point. The line between legit and non legit is a very fine line - it's why we have admins to pass judgement on whether a move can be considered murder-suicide. In fact the line is not really a line but a large a gray zone and many a time a move that was considered "legit" could be passed of as M/S by the admin. It's a very subjective assessment.

In this instance, this play falls in that gray zone.
The_Bishop wrote:
@anuorre, I can't get your point: your target preventing you from winning, isn't this just normal?
I think your team has lost that game because you were not in a clear winning position, although your target was so weak. So imo nobody has stolen you anything. You said your chance was only 5%, so you were already lost (very likely). Perhaps a bit of diplomacy was required to balance the game out (in the early), but didn't happen...

Let's suppose you are right: the other team made a move that reduced from 5% to 0% your chance of winning. So we might guess they did that, not just to stay alive, but also to be sure your team couldn't get a lucky win. As a single game perhaps I would say that it was not fair, but being part of a tournament it sounds acceptable, isn't it so?

Finally, why all this complain about one move that you know has changed almost nothing? What they could have done better your opponents? Perhaps a move that grows your chance up to 10%? It wouldn't be fair either.
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, so finally the tournament is over.

Congratulations to the winners: (Team 1) @anuorre and @tcjohans!
The 'double R' runners up as well: (Team 8) @Rcomer727 and @Ryomer!
The three teams in third place to follow, and thanks everyone for participating!

Final standings:

Team 1 (a.t.) ... 8
Team 8 (R.R.) ... 7
Peri's Bonnet ... 6
Team 4 (M.A.) ... 6
Team 7 (I.R.) ... 6
Team 5 (c.G.) ... 5
Team € (+T.K.) ... 4
Team 2 (+b.j.) ... 3
Team 6 (D.g.) ... 2
Team 9 (t.b.) ... 2
Team $ (Y.+I.) ... 2
Team 3 (B.u.) ... 1

Some games was really fun to see and it was nice to experience something new by playing (or just watching) Team Domination and Team Assassination.

I have to split the prices now, wait a second please...
The_Bishop wrote:
Nothing established in advance so I will apply my usual split: 50% - 33.3% -16.7%.
This makes a hilarious price of 111 tks for those in third place;
a diabolical price of 666 tokens each to the seconds;
and 1000 battle tokens each to the winners!