It's a lot easier to start a tournament now!
  • 13 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Matty wrote:
We have a tournament page now, which should make organising tournaments and setting up the games a lot easier. Hoodlum and Kyla have been experimenting with the beta version of it already, and it's public now.
You should see it in the top row next to the forum link, but just in case, it's https://dominating12.com/tournaments.

If you want to organise a tournament, ask one of the admins to add you as tournament organiser and you are ready to go! Just make sure there aren't 5 other tournaments already :P

Also, we have three new maps:
  • Ancient Greece, thanks to Hoodlum
  • Timor Islands (currently in beta), thanks to -NoXoN- and Hoodlum.
  • ASIA, thanks to Hoodlum. This one is not yet beta, but since I think it'll be in beta very soon, I'm mentioning it anyway :tomwithhood:
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
JeopardyTempest wrote:
Having not been involved in tournaments before, some instruction about tournaments in the Information... perhaps the FAQ... might be useful.

Are they only for premium members? If not, is it standard token cost... and how does it work with game slots??
Are the games long term games? Any preset format in terms of amount of time per turn?
What happens if players miss too many turns or drop out?

Looked quite a bit, didn't see anything on any of the main page information links, unless I missed something. Basically, where does one start when it comes to information about how tournaments work?

Thanks a lot,
Shane
elysium5 wrote:
All tournaments are custom designed by the tournament organiser. They come in many shapes and sizes. You can see ongoing/upcoming tournaments via the link provided above but generally, they are also announced in the forum section when they are first set up complete with the details you are looking for.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
JeopardyTempest wrote:
Right, I'd gathered that from the post, that the tournament setups vary.

But are there not fairly standard policies on the questions I asked (besides perhaps time per turn)? I believe I've played some tournaments on a 
similar sites years ago... but if I were a brand new user, I'd want a basic idea of how tournaments work (rounds composed of a set of games against your group of opponents [automatically created or up to the organizer or user to setup!?!?!], then some criteria [set by the organizer] decides who moves on to the next rounds, until the winner is declared and prizes awarded). A little blurb like that... with the other questions answered, would help those completely/partially new to tournaments figure out how they work.
elysium5 wrote:
There would be an infinite number of possibilities to post. Every tournament is a custom creation of the organiser.
-Number of players who can sign up
-Rounds played
-Single or multiple knockouts
-Maps played
-Style of play (deathmatch/domination,assassination,etc.)
-Free for all or team play/players per team
-Open to all or Premium only
-Cost to join or free to join
-What the cost might be if there is one
-If prizes are involved they vary
-Possible special criteria to join such as minimum chat/attendance/fair play scores

etc.

As I said, there are so many possible variations and rules and the fact that they differ from tourny to tourny, a FAQ page wouldn't be very feasible.

Here is where the tournament sign-ups are generally posted in the forums: https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion

Here are some examples of recent tournaments threads that were set up so you can see how the rules and set up are outlined for each specific tournament and also you can see that you can ask questions in the threads themselves if you need and/or want a further explanation as to how each one works:
https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion/2825/1v1-deathmatch-tournament
https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion/2859/realm-of-d12-world-inverted-tournament
https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion/2308/pairs-tournaments
https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion/2857/triads-tournaments
https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion/2764/token-battle-games

Tournaments on this site have only ever been organised or hosted by the actual players on the site and not by the site itself and also not in any particular regimen or structure. They are solely designed according to the whims of the designer.

The recently set up "tournament page" was created as an easier way for tournament organisers to set up their tournaments and create the special parameters they want to incorporate into each one.

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for but as there is no standard format or set up there can't really be a standard format or set up information guide.

Remember, though, all people who set up tournaments are more than happy to discuss with anyone or further explain to anyone any questions they may have about any specific tournament you may want to sign up for.

We are also more than happy to help guide or coach anyone along the way as well.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
JeopardyTempest wrote:
So based upon how I read your answers, and guessing to fill in holes... a quick rough look at what an FAQ could perhaps say

*What are tournaments?
In a tournament you and the others that are signed up play a collection of matches to determine a champion by various criteria selected by the organizer. Tournaments are not run by Dominating12, but instead directly by users who opt to organize them. The tournament page (https://dominating12.com/tournaments) is a one-stop shop allowing competitors and organizers easier options to enter/facilitate tournaments. 

*Can non-Premium members play in tournaments?
Yes, if the tournament organizer allows it in the tournament setup

*What are the costs to play in a tournament?
In addition to the standard token cost and match slots needed for free users to play each game in the tournament, the creators may impose additional entry costs

*What game formats can be used in tournament setup?
The sky is the limit! Whatever the organizer wishes; short term or long term, any settings, whatever maps they wish.

*Are tournament games automatically created?
No, at this time game initiation is not automated. However, the tournament organizer can create the games, add password protection, and then invite the selected users to play, ensuring that only the correct users enter the tournament games.

*What is the policy on missed turns in tournaments?
There is no official rule at this time, but tournament organizer can add policies for each tournament. Too many missed turns over time may result in a permanent ban from all tournaments.

Just guesses on a few things. Feel free to correct.
Tournaments are varied and complex, but a little friendly introduction might encourage users unfamiliar with tournaments to give them a try. But certainly up to you guys, just throwing the thought out there. No interest in beating a dead horse if no one sees this useful, just seemed that way to me :-)

Thanks all :-)
Cireon wrote:
I like the idea of a FAQ. We can add it to the help section and link it from the tournaments page.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
JeopardyTempest
So based upon how I read your answers, and guessing to fill in holes... a quick rough look at what an FAQ could perhaps say
I'll add some comments, but most guesses were correct.

*Can non-Premium members play in tournaments?
Yes, they'll almost always be open premium members and non-premium members alike (I think there's been a premium player only tournament once).

*What are the costs to play in a tournament?
A creator can add you to a game. If he does that, it's free to join, even if it's a premium map, or you are already over your limit.
A creator can asks for a token gamble or something of course ;)

*What game formats can be used in tournament setup?
The sky is the limit! Whatever the organizer wishes; short term or long term, any settings, whatever maps they wish.
Correct, though usually long term.

*Are tournament games automatically created?
Sort of. The organiser can really easily create all the games and add the players to the games.

*What is the policy on missed turns in tournaments?
There is no official rule at this time, but tournament organizer can add policies for each tournament. Too many missed turns over time may result in a permanent ban from all tournaments.
(well, it actually may in the future, but as of now we don't have plans for this :))

Now something to add: keep an eye on the forums, that's where the signups will be :)

Hope this helps.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
elysium5 wrote:
Thanks, Matty!
Matty wrote:
If you create a new tournament game, it should now preset the settings from last tournament game on the create a game page. This should make small adjustments to previous games (like a different map) easier.

If you create a normal game, and then select "When done, go to: Create new", it also remembers the last settings.
If you want to, you can bookmark that url then and use that to always start with your favourite create a game settings.