• 22 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
periwinkle wrote:
Hello D12! 
If you haven't noticed already, I am a team game player. I do play the occasional singles game, but I much prefer team games. I would like to make some suggestions that would help more people appreciate that team games involve some pretty cool and different strategies, and outside of the box thinking. With that said, I find the current setup to playing a team game not very supportive to subsequent teams that join. (refer to my other post https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion/3607/team-game-invitation)

Here are my suggestions (keep in mind, I am not a programmer and I really have no idea if this is possible to do in the current code)

1. When a player joins a team game, a pop-up window could appear and give players a CHOICE of which team to join instead of join order. For example like this:
[image]
Why is this important? My teammates are from different time zones and it is difficult to join a game within seconds of each other to ensure we are on the same team... which makes it difficult to challenge other teams unless it's a private game. Even better a reservation system...which I'm sure requires even more challenging coding. This set up can also help players realize that they are in fact joining a team game.

2. A "Team Turn" similar to a "My Turn" in the active list game. It promotes the idea that communication and an overall team strategy is key to winning a game and not just individuals who happen to play on the same team.

3. Changing the shape of the troop counts...ok...this one is really a far stretch....but hey, maybe one day?
Currently, the troops are in a circle. Perhaps just for pairs, each team has the same colour BUT different shapes, like circles and squares?
[image]
Teammate 1 would pick the team colour and teammate 2 will just follow suit. This way it is VERY obvious that you are in a pairs game and that you ARE able to reinforce and fortify your teammate. It would make planning and overall team strategy easier for everyone! It also may prevent/reduce accidental friendly fire, which has definitely happen to me! If this is feasible...maybe pick triangles for triads and diamonds for quads? Just a thought

This would be my wish list. It would definitely make team games more enjoyable for everyone. One advantage of playing with other players is it actually improves your gameplay as a single player. The more people you play with as a team, the more you get to know your teammate's style of play, their thinking, their logic....so when you are faced against them in a singles game....you are in a better position to predict their moves or motives. Risk is very much of a game of pyschology and strategy with a bit of luck. More importantly, you get to know other players in a different level and some good camaraderie can develop.

The_Bishop wrote:
Well, I think there are many important suggestions for improvements in Periwinkle's post.

Thanks first of all and I'll give my short comments below:

1. Yes, I think it is how Team games have to be set up. Reservations can be made by a team password.
Some limitations should apply, like let's say if one fails to form their team in 1 week then s/he gets kicked off; or something so.
2. Yes, I'd love it. We use the second person actually, example:
Your team's turn -- Your team is next -- 2 teams before yours ... It would be very helpful for me!
3. Nyes, I would prefer that each player keeps his own unique colour and players in the same team share the same counter shape. This would match finely with our team icons [you can actually use icons instead of letters in the ingame 'Players' tab] so like: A=airplanes (triangles), B=bombs (circles), C=cups (squares), D=diamonds ( " ). Either way I think we would encounter several graphic issues with shaped (non-circular) markers, so basically I think it's No, but the idea is nice.

The most important thing for me is to make Team games more recognizable and I'm glad to see that all Periwinkle's suggestions work for that result. In practice almost everybody of us has joined a team game once or twice by mistake, and especially newcomers for which that mistake is really common. Winning games, against people who don't know they are playing a team game, is so easy and trivial that I wonder what is the sense of it. However this last sentence is a different topic not strictly related with the improvements suggested.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
In practice I have to send a message to my teammates every time just to tell them 'Hey guys it's our turn, come to team chat please'.
kwikool wrote:
i still would like to see team game available to play exactly like non team play (meaning only fortifying your own troops)....  except for the team win  and the labels for teams..

this shouldnt be super hard...
Cireon wrote:
kwikool
i still would like to see team game available to play exactly like non team play (meaning only fortifying your own troops)....  except for the team win  and the labels for teams..

this shouldnt be super hard...
You already suggested that in this thread. Let's keep this thread on topic with periwinkle's suggestion.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
kwikool wrote:
@cireon   im sorry  the heading was " improvements to team game" ....so  I didnt know the subject was closed to only what peris ideas........   and noone ever gave a determination.... As a premium player i would think someone would give a serious consideration to the request even though it is clear, it isn't the way that a few in admin prefer to play. 
Cireon wrote:
kwikool
@cireon   im sorry  the heading was " improvements to team game" ....so  I didnt know the subject was closed to only what peris ideas........   and noone ever gave a determination.... As a premium player i would think someone would give a serious consideration to the request even though it is clear, it isn't the way that a few in admin prefer to play. 
All the ideas posted here are seriously considered, premium member or not. What you don't see though is that behind the scenes we have a todo list that is 100s, if not more than 1000 items long at this point. We just can't afford the luxury of considering and implementing every idea that each member comes up with.

But again, let's not make this thread go off topic. If you disagree with how the staff responds to suggestions, then maybe write some feedback about that?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
KittyCatManiac wrote:
I don't know if this is possible, but when you join a game, instead of clicking the "join game" button, could it be "join team game" text on the button instead? I feel like that would be a super easy fix. For me, when I joined a team game once unknowingly, I felt bad because I knew it was my fault my team member lost since I didn't know how to play. I feel like I would have noticed if the button I clicked was labeled "join team game" instead.
bluebonnet wrote:
Just wanted to chime in. Periwinkle is a spectacular teams player and I support her thoughts 100%. While new here, I do have over 5,000 games played on another risk site. Probably half are team games with the other half being 1v1, A few individual multi player singles thrown in.

With only 39 games here, I am by no means an expert on D12. This place does have some definite advantages over my old digs, team play is not one though.

1. Ability to choose teams is very important. Who wants to play with a random stranger when the other team may be working well together. Nothing worse than playing on a team when someone isn't passing the troops. Or listening to chat for the eventual card sweep. Or taking a key tert at a important time.

2. Color designation. Being able to chose from multiple colors or symbols is great for designating teams. Even better if each player gets to chose the colors/symbols they want to view. So player 1 can chose all the colors for the opposition and home team. Player 2 gets to chose their own. Player 3 etc, So color /symbols would be different for everyone based on their personal preferences.

3. Peri didn't list this one. But in the game, the players list column. Have a predefined color for each team. Can be done several ways I suppose. But just have something that easily identifies who is playing together as a team. 9 person triples gets a bit bothersome to count and keep reminding yourself who is on each team. I rarely bother here and it is important.

While D12 has a great culture from what I have seen so far, it could expand on catering to team games as a improvement if they desire.
The_Bishop wrote:
Hey @kwikool, your intervention here is fine for me, but you should just add a link to where your proposal is actually discussed or I'll do it for you: https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/3593/team-game
So to avoid discussing the same subject in different forum threads.

@KittyCatManiac, one word can save the world! :)
Yeah, it's an easy fix what you propose, not optimal perhaps, but also not harming, so why not.

@bluebonnet, welcome to DominatingTwelve!
I totally agree with you on #1 and partially on #2 but probably is a bit complex to do*.
Perhaps I don't understand exactly #3. I mean, teams are already marked with letters: A,B,C,D (or icons: airplane, bomb, cup, diamond; if you change it in your profile settings). Isn't that enough to avoid counting?

*The ability to change colours on your end is interesting but if implemented I think it should be generally allowed and not only in team games, therefore I consider it like a different topic.
Matty wrote:
@Peri's suggestions:
1. Good suggestion. It's on our todo list (and has been for quite a while). But I don't do much programming at d12 anymore, and neither does Ciroen, so it'll probably take a while before we get it. We will though eventually.
2. Good suggestion, didn't hear that one before. I added it to the list.
3. I personally don't like it. Better IMO to have a button to switch between team colours and player colours like dough_boy suggested somewhere (I think).

KittyCatManiac
... instead of clicking the "join game" button, could it be "join team game" text on the button instead? ...
Thoughts on this?
Part of me hates to now have to make an exception for every single case in the join game button text (hint: it won't work anymore then). It's already marked red in the game info list. If you join without reading that, why would you read what's on the button instead of just mindlessly clicking it?
The other part of me, well, we are making exceptions for team games in other places. :S
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
periwinkle wrote:
Matty
@Peri's suggestions:
1. Good suggestion. It's on our todo list (and has been for quite a while). But I don't do much programming at d12 anymore, and neither does Ciroen, so it'll probably take a while before we get it. We will though eventually.
2. Good suggestion, didn't hear that one before. I added it to the list.
3. I personally don't like it. Better IMO to have a button to switch between team colours and player colours like dough_boy suggested somewhere (I think).

KittyCatManiac
... instead of clicking the "join game" button, could it be "join team game" text on the button instead? ...
Thoughts on this?
Part of me hates to now have to make an exception for every single case in the join game button text (hint: it won't work anymore then). It's already marked red in the game info list. If you join without reading that, why would you read what's on the button instead of just mindlessly clicking it?
The other part of me, well, we are making exceptions for team games in other places. :S

if you implement suggestion 1...there wouldn't need to be a warning ...since you are forced to choose a team  :)  and if you haven't figured it out that it's a team game then....i dunno....lol

thanks for listening! :)
dough_boy wrote:
For me I have a script that if it is a team game it applies the “target” class to everyone not my partner…regardless of color.
bluebonnet wrote:
oops. my bad. had to go look. the a/b/c/d thing didn't pop out. looked at a couple of maps before i caught on. it works for me. thanks.

as for number 2. changing the colors yourself. it is a great feature. i gave up multiplayer singles a long time ago. not into the drama at the last place i played. but think of a 100 tert map and you are going for a takeout and way too many colors going on. black out/whiteout (change everyone else to same color) all other players except you and target. makes it very easy to visualize the shortest paths to make the kill

The_Bishop

@bluebonnet, welcome to DominatingTwelve!
I totally agree with you on #1 and partially on #2 but probably is a bit complex to do*.
Perhaps I don't understand exactly #3. I mean, teams are already marked with letters: A,B,C,D (or icons: airplane, bomb, cup, diamond; if you change it in your profile settings). Isn't that enough to avoid counting?

*The ability to change colours on your end is interesting but if implemented I think it should be generally allowed and not only in team games, therefore I consider it like a different topic.