Because it’s in the way
  • 87 posts
  • Page 4 of 6
Cireon wrote:
I know that this thread is mainly about the clock, but this wider discussion is incredibly interesting for me, so please feel free to keep discussing it. It'll help us improve the navigation and make the dashboard more widely useful (which I'd like).
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
dough_boy wrote:
The_Bishop
But here the main topic is: WHERE TO PUT THE CLOCK.
What I see is that Cireon's idea of putting the clock next to the notification bell is generally accepted. However, Matty raised the question that on some devices the width of the black bar may not be sufficient to contain all the elements. If removing one link can solve the problem and I have to choose whether to delete "Dashboard" link or "Game history" link then I would prefer the latter for the reasons explained above. I also suggest that "You are logged in as: User_name" could be shortened as "Logged in as User_name" (if necessary).
Conversely, why is it even needed at all? Are people confused if they are logged in and see their username and don't understand what it means?

If the problem is really on mobile, then for mobile use css to hide that helper text and now you have space.
dough_boy is online.
Cireon wrote:
I've been working on rewriting a large part of our nav bar code (it's old, so it needed some love). Hopefully that'll be done soon and we can start making some changes to it.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
jr502 wrote:
New member here. A couple of thoughts about the server time as a new user.
- I noticed very early that the server time in the game chat seemed clunky and annoying, so I really like the idea of it being on the top bar. Plus, it makes sense to be able to see it from any game page, especially any page that displays things that happened at a certain past time.
- isn't the whole point of a dashboard to be a "one-stop" place for all your top things you want to see/check administratively? I use that link in the top bar, and I think the dashboard itself probably could be improved to make it more useful, though I have not thought about how. I just know that a bunch of "old" news takes up a lot of space there. Is there a game history link there? 
- another idea regarding horizontal space in the top bar: I am not sure but would it be okay to remove "logged in as" leaving only "You are"

this is a great game site and I appreciate all the hard work everyone does to make it great. I like it a lot!
jr502 wrote:
sorry I didn't see that Bishop already suggested shortening the 'logged in' text. also, the presence of the "logout" link implies "you are logged in."
another short possibility:  User: jr502 or Username: jr502

off topic (is that a really bad thing to do??) -- does anybody here know if there has been a forum discussion about email notifications of invites? Is there such a notification? I did try searching for it.
Cireon wrote:
Just FYI:

• I am currently working on improving the account dashboard. This will allow us to remove the "Game history" link from the top bar and make some extra space.
  • I am going to make some changes to make it easier to find the shop from the places where it actually matters. This means we can remove that link as well. To do this, I need to clean up some other code, so this might take a tiny bit of time (but it will give us some more flexibility for messaging things in the future).
  • The server time is currently shown in several places, so that code has to be changed so it shows it in the nav bar instead.

So this is very much on our radar, but we want to make sure we do it right, and take the opportunity to do some cleanup along the way, so bear with me :)
Cireon wrote:
You can now give the updated dashboard a try.
Blagoje_Jovovic wrote:

yes, it looks much more functional now
“Vital lives are about action. You can't feel warmth unless you create it, can't feel delight until you play, can't know serendipity unless you risk.”
dough_boy wrote:
Any chance we can show the battle tokens on the dashboard page? I don't have anything to spend mine on, but like to see them for donating purposes.
dough_boy is online.
Cireon wrote:
Matty added it quickly just now :)
dough_boy wrote:
Cool...last suggestion for me is could the custom game name be added to the turns module? 23456 (team game)
dough_boy is online.
Cireon wrote:
It already should show you the custom name.