Because it’s in the way
  • 87 posts
  • Page 2 of 6
dough_boy wrote:
I do say. And you can do it yourself. Or since I provided the code the programmers can add it (@Matty you can add this in the inspector to see what it does).

But it is their call on how/when things are changed and complaining doesn't make it go faster.
Cireon wrote:
vikingo1337
You don’t say?
Can we please drop this negative tone and try to keep this as a constructive conversation?

I don't like putting the time in the tab bar, because the tab bar should be reserved for just that: tabs. I also worry that if the width of the tab bar changes, the server time will overlap with the tab buttons.

Personally, I think the server time could be moved away from the chat box altogether, and we can just move it into the header so it's always visible, but the header is already quite crowded. What about showing it in the header like this though:

[image]
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
The problem is so tiny that I wouldn't give it any priority.
Anyway thanks Dough_boy, I made the change you suggested and it works very well. :)
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Bearskin wrote:
I agree with @Cireon. The header seems a more natural place for server time.
The_Bishop wrote:
Argh.. Sorry, once again I missed one postI

I agree with everything said by Cireon.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
dough_boy wrote:
Maybe we could also reconsider what is at the top of the game?

[image]

The top is my modified screen, the bottom is stock. Some of the stuff in the top is just not worth it after the game is live. For instance number of players. I wanted to see the cards and fortification type. Not sure how the timer is there, but it is the turn countdown timer that I moved there. Even in your case, why do you need prominent real estate for the Game #? Just put the server time there.
vikingo1337 wrote:
Noone is being negative, Cireon. The whole thread is full of constructive criticism, including my own.

That being said, I doubt that all players on D12 know how to code... So a more permanent solution that solves the problem once and for all, for everyone, is the best way to go.

Placing the server time in the header could work. I see you applied one of my recent suggestions, a symbol without any words, and that looks good I think. It’s easy to decipher that way, and the clock is visible wherever you go on the site.

"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
ProblemChild96 wrote:
I like it by the notification bell as cireon suggested
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
aeronautic wrote:
dough_boy
why do you need prominent real estate for the Game #?
This is important for staff who are jumping to the game from a help request. I don't think it has to be huge, but it has to be noticeable.

@Cireon, I like the suggestion for the server time placement.
[image]
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
dough_boy wrote:
So since staff have to help a fraction of the time, then there could be a staff bar with necessary information. But since the vast majority are normal games it should be made more friendly for the 95% that are not staff. Maybe make this bar appear when the request pops up and you click on the link via a URL parameter.
aeronautic wrote:
Cireon has found a solution that works on standard Browsers, so my feedback is;
"I've heard a stack of suggestions for where to put it, but this one seems the most obvious, non-obstructive and aesthetic"

If the Game Number is no longer relevant to the Server Time relocation and you would like to suggest it's size & position, I think there's an Interface Suggestions thread somewhere??
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
This thread is good for interface suggestions. It has been a bit hijacked by my work on the new attack interface though.

If it helps, I can make a new thread some time this week focussing purely on quick interface suggestions with some instructions on how to make it the most likely that a programmer will implement it :)

Let's keep this thread as focussing on the server time. I am happy to move the server time. My only question is whether there is somebody who actually likes where it is. I know @Matty put it there in the first place, so it'd be good to understand if there's a use case having it where it is.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I think one of the reasons it was put in the first line of the game chat was so that players could easily see if their system clock was out of sync with the server clock (important in live games).

I definitely prefer it at the top of the page as suggested. It makes sense to be able to see it on any page. I also don't really like collapsing the server clock to read the first line of chat in games. If the change is made, there would have to be a way to see the full time with seconds included (so people can see if their clock is unsynced). Maybe by clicking on the time?
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Cireon wrote:
Ah good point. We can maybe show a yellow warning icon in the clock in the top of your clock is out of sync or something along this lines.

I think this may need a bit of experimentation and trial and error to get it right.