Because it’s in the way
  • 87 posts
  • Page 3 of 6
Matty wrote:
Yes, the reason I put it in the chat in the first place is because that way it's close to where it's most needed.

I do agree with MR Viking o 1337 that it's a bit awkward this way.

I want to move the server time to the top bar longer already. The main reason why I haven't yet is because on the smallest screen width there isn't that much space left...
So I've been thinking about making it an option (but I hate too many options), about putting it in the top right (so off-screen), not super happy about either.

The clock icon may be the compromise we're looking for (with a hover text that explains this is the server time, in UTC).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
I agree the top bar is getting really full. I would love to think about whether we can remove some of the options that are there right now. How many people click "Shop" for example? But sadly we don't track these clicks in anyway, so it's hard to make actual decisions about it.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
<Game history> and <Turns (#)> are almost the same thing, maybe they can be marged as <My games (#)> ?
Just an opinion..
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
The shop link probably will have the least clicks, but it's also important for that thing to be findable. Plenty of new players already asking about how to play a capitals game or something.

The Game History is something I definitely use, but if I go to both the dashboard and the Turns (x) it's in one click from there, so not that necessary.
Also, the game history never really needs a quick lookup by itself. It's not attention demanding.

We may want to make sure your last 3 games or so are always visible in the dashboard's recent game list. As for me it's usually filled with 'Hoodlum finished a game'.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
What about splitting that into "My recent activity" and "My friends' recent activity"?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
slackbatter wrote:
I never go to the dashboard and only just now noticed it on the top bar. I click on Game History all the time, but could just as easily click on Finished on the left menu of the Active Games page. So personally I'd say dashboard could be removed (since I don't know why it exists) but Game History could go too; either would probably be worth it to get the clock up there.
slackbatter is online.
Matty wrote:
We also may want a list of pending and active games there (maybe only the first x).

Cireon
What about splitting that into "My recent activity" and "My friends' recent activity"?
That would also work.

slackbatter
...since I don't know why it exists...
I suppose to make ppl that don't look at the forums see newsposts?
maafi wrote:
I don’t use dashboard either. I do use game history frequently.
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
dough_boy wrote:
Why not when logged in clicking on your username takes you to the dashboard. Then on the dashboard page put a link that says my profile, or my stats, or something that takes you to your what is now profile/stats page.
Hoodlum wrote:
maybe for my dashboard, it could be used for more room for my standings statistics :) whoops
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
elysium5 wrote:
Hoodlum
maybe for my dashboard, it could be used for more room for my standings statistics :) whoops
We might need a whole separate server for that;)
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
elysium5 is online.
Matty wrote:
elysium5
We might need a whole separate server for that;)
Nah, we should just cache the standings and not recalculate it every time you look at it. It's just a lot of effort to do that properly :P
dough_boy wrote:
I use a template system and would have the game stat area as a template. Generate it if it doesn't exist. Invalidate it if a game has ended, etc. That would also improve performance/capacity on the server. I believe you are using Laravel and it has caching built in.
The_Bishop wrote:
maafi
I don’t use dashboard either. I do use game history frequently.
Same for me, but still I think that "Dashboard" needs to be a one-click link, while "Game history" doesn't.

There's a well explained reason for that:
Matty
The Game History is something I definitely use, but if I go to both the dashboard and the Turns (x) it's in one click from there, so not that necessary.
Also, the game history never really needs a quick lookup by itself. It's not attention demanding.

The dashboard probably needs to be improved and updated more often. Most of articles are 2 or 3 year old and this explains why nobody read it daily! The only interesting thing in the dashboard seems to be "Latest activity", at least for those who are curious to know what their friends are doing (really not me though).

But here the main topic is: WHERE TO PUT THE CLOCK.
What I see is that Cireon's idea of putting the clock next to the notification bell is generally accepted. However, Matty raised the question that on some devices the width of the black bar may not be sufficient to contain all the elements. If removing one link can solve the problem and I have to choose whether to delete "Dashboard" link or "Game history" link then I would prefer the latter for the reasons explained above. I also suggest that "You are logged in as: User_name" could be shortened as "Logged in as User_name" (if necessary).
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein