(Edit: More about colors than about 15 player cap or whatever).
  • 93 posts
  • Page 5 of 7
cbt711 wrote:
You won't be able to tell in the forum, but green and maroon have white shadows now, which should make them show on darker maps.

[image]

EDIT:

For example:
[image]
Matty wrote:
I never ever have been a fan of white shadows. Because it is no longer a shadow, but a glow.
It gives things a neon-like feeling, whichs is completely different from a shadow.

I doubt it fits in with the rest of the page.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
I don't like the glow. I don't know if it fits with the site, but don't think that fits with the rest of the colors. It makes them stand by the white and not by the colour itself.

Am I the only one that can tell light blue from turquoise with a lot of ease? Sorry if I'm being insistant, but... they are very different to me.
[image]
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
PsymonStark wrote:
Lol. The one that is not pink or orange.

Spoiler (click to show)

I had another idea: modify purple and get purple and magenta as two different colours.

[image]
The_Bishop wrote:
Basically light blue and turquoise are the same thing for my eye (and for my mouth too). Did you think turquoise will create less problem with the colours of the maps? Anyway, I cannot see a great problem with that, yes sometimes happens to have similar colours (circles and maps) but still I can clearly see the circles. Or give all of them a minimal glow, much lesser than Cbt's example.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
Ah, I had missed your edit Psymoon. I'm unsure about having a double purple colour.

I think we are missing a very common colour that is called brown.
Do you have any prejudice against brown?

Many possible shades: coffee, chocolate, caramel, hazelnut...
They all are good things to eat!! :P

Spoiler (click to show)
PsymonStark wrote:
I always thought that the purple we have is not actually a purple, but something like a fuchsia. The good thing it's there is quite a lot of difference between these two colours (the one having much more blue than the other).

I think that a brown colour that can be mostly suitable would be either tawny or tortilla, in terms of standing out on maps at least. Or gingerbread.
The_Bishop wrote:
Psymon you have to think how you see things when you are in the live action. Discernible is good but it is not enough, they must be very quickly discernible. You are in the game, you have few seconds and you have to make a move, you want to know in a single sight how many troops light-purple has there and how many there and how many dark-purple...

I agree with purple being almost fuchsia, in fact it is already similar to pink. I don't like when pink and purple are in the same game because I have to pay a bit more of attention. I'm not the only because I saw one other saying the same thing. I agree to make the purple a bit more purple but not having a second one.

Also, that maroon it's too dark. If I give a bit of tilt to my screen immediately is almost black. You should make it a bit more red and still will be easy discernible from red because is less brighter. For human eye it's normally easy to discern 'pure' colours from 'dirty' colours, you immediately see the difference in brightness, especially with red.

I think you should go for a 'dark red' and a 'dirty yellow-brown'. I don't mind if the colour is beautiful or ugly, just discernible, in case no body will pick it, but anyway if I join last in a 9p game I would have 4 colours to pick, they won't be all ugly.
PsymonStark wrote:
That's why the test will be useful. We're choosing candidate colours, then will try them in game to see if they actually work fine or don't. But if we ditch all proposals before giving them a try, at the end of the day we'll find nothing.

Also, if we have to put 12 colours, some they will be necessarily closer than if we have 9, just because there are more. But that's something that will happen whichever colours we use.

In addition, I think that my magenta is more different from pink than the actual purple because of the increased saturation.

Edit: added augmented color file for testing with the dirty yellow-brown suggested by Bishop (let's just call it Ochre :D).
Spoiler (click to show)
Virtuosity98 wrote:
In my opinion the Lavender and the Ochre are the best 2 proposals, as in my eyes they contrast the other colours clearly. Also, Lavender doesn't seem to fade into the background on any maps. There may be problems with Ochre, however. Psymon's purple proposal isn't bad, but not ideal (I can see many people confusing the Magenta with Pink and the Purple with Blue at a quick glance and depending on their screen angle).

To summarise, I think the 3 new colours should be:
Lavender, Ochre, and (a new) Purple...

...but I still feel that the perfect solution has not yet been found!
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

The_Bishop wrote:
My fav's are Dark-Green, Dark-Red and Gold!

Ehm... I mean Ochre, but it seems a bit the colour of the spray gold paint, you know? Whatever the name, it's a perfect colour for me.
PsymonStark wrote:
I'm with V98 but we have to see how they work on real maps yet. Maybe what seems good now it's not so good and viceversa.

BTW if accepted, I'd call Ochre just Brown. Gold? You mean that ugly pseudo-gold spray paint? Yeah, it looks like it :D
cbt711 wrote:
So no on the glow - other option: slightly more intense shadow:
[image]

Gold Brown or any shade in between run right into orange, yellow, red. I've been at this for hours and hours. And they either are too close to another color, or they are too close to a background. But that's not new. Black is lost a lot of places, but it's really not as noticeable as you think. I think dark green, maroon, lavender are the easiest to implement as far as not being confusing for player vs. player. Psymon, the light blue and turquoise still look almost identical to me. The Lavender and gray neutral are the closest of these three. Maybe the barely heavier shadow works? Maybe we split green into two new greens that both show up?

Anyone made a decent gold? (ochre) If so throw it between orange and yellow. Very hard to tell. :\ So this isn't easy. But it's pretty awesome if pulled off. I mean the site is called D12, there should be 12 possible colors right? :D

Even with the darker shadow buying off the above colors, neutral's grey (gray) will have to be darkened to contrast on a map with light purple (lavender).