(Edit: More about colors than about 15 player cap or whatever).
  • 93 posts
  • Page 3 of 7
Matty wrote:
I see I never replied to this post.

The problem with colours is that they need to be visible on all maps, which is going to be a hard thing to do.

Chat colours are fine, we can do whatever we want there, but the map circles are going to be hard.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
Well they can be tested. I could even do the boring job. With luck we'll just have to change a couple of hues :D

But 15 is a bit too much, don't you think? I'd stay with 12 as the site says.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Matty wrote:
This is the normal circle spriteset used on the new site: http://beta.dominating12.com/assets/img/territories/normal-large.png

It's different on the current site, so not going to change it here anymore, but we can test it on the new site (you already have access to the map panels there).

We might even get Cireon as far as to upload more maps to test then :)

If they turn out alright, the others are:
normal-small, caps-large, caps-small.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
I would have taken all maps and paste the new circles on it on a graphics program, so Cireon doesn't have to upload all 4X maps.
Matty wrote:
That's also possible.
cbt711 wrote:
Yeah layer each map then throw circles everywhere and hide the layers of the maps to flip through them to test this out fast :D

I think a highlight / shadow that already exists in those circle png files lets every color show up on every map. Black is the hardest to see already and no one really complains - from the testing I did on this last year.
PsymonStark wrote:
I already got one and a half. Not telling what it is until everything works :D

By the way, what do you think about white as a colour?
cbt711 wrote:
White works as a color REALLY well as far as showing up. The only issue is cap circles are white - so Cap circles would have to be changed to gold / silver or something creative I'm not thinking of right now. But white would be the easiest color to add because it shows up extremely well.
PsymonStark wrote:
Not necessarily. Cap circle is different to color circle. Indeed it doesn't work that well, at least in the white region of Westeros Map :D
cbt711 wrote:
Ahhh there was no Westeros white region when I tested this last year. Can just make a heavier shadow on the white circle - I am pretty confident, any combination of shadow, highlight will make any color show on all map regions between the shadow, color, or highlight, one of the three aspects will show up.
The_Bishop wrote:
I like the idea of having more color choice:
http://www.dominating12.com/forum/index.php?cmd=topic&act=view&id=1688&page=2#post-22793

Olive and maroon seems okay, not sure white will work, for example in the chat box, and also territories hidden by fog are almost white, it makes confusion. What about dark green?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Not a fan of white either. It's used for too much things already.
PsymonStark wrote:
Maroon is tough because it blends well in red or purple regions unless it's too red or too orange. Also looks in a different way depending if it's a red, orange or purple region. Olive it's a thing to try but would say something similar will happen.

I got a Turquoise working pretty well. Flashy colours work better than dark (like olive or maroon) because of the darkish backgrounds overall. I will try things like a lime colour or similar too.
cbt711 wrote:
[image]
Lavender?

Every turquoise I tried is too close to light blue or green - would like to see the one you used.

Again, not too worried about them showing up on the maps as much as distinguishing them from each other. You can make them show up on a map with shadow / highlight effect
PsymonStark wrote:
Probably too similar to neutrals but will try. In general, light colours are to similar to others and dark colours blend with background.

Turquoise in the worst region I could find:
[image]
It's closer to LB but much more flashy. I want to do something similar between green and yellow, but not that flashy, to get better contrast.