(Edit: More about colors than about 15 player cap or whatever).
  • 93 posts
  • Page 2 of 7
Sygmassacre wrote:
Is it possible to change the map colours with permission from the makers to colours that will allow it?
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
Fendi wrote:
That would require a lot of work so I'm not sure it is even worth it. Besides, personally, I think it would look very ugly if the maps all had the same shades of colour. We would also have to track down the original files in order to change the colours..
cbt711 wrote:
Well white would absolutely show up. Would just have to program the chat to gray for that player. I just threw a white circle up on about 5 maps, and it looks pretty cool actually. Anyway, if you have been trying since day 1, then obviously there's some merit there to the idea. I know you guys are busy and prioritize what needs to be prioritized, so just as long as I put it out there white would work, you do what you do.

In any case, thanks for all the work you put in.
tramadol wrote:
Sorry I don't know where the thread is for this suggestion, but putting aside JB's 15 player game.
I have been wondering for a while why there are only 9 colours.
Wouldn't the simple redesign of 9 existing colour circles plus whichever new colours you wish to make, be solvable with a white mist behind each circle, with the circle centres and shadows already being semi transparent, that would make no difference to the colour/tone of the map behind and would make every colour distinguished from its background, i.e. the map?
The only problem then, is the chat box player colours, but again if you make each name appear with a very thin black outline, this will separate it from the white background making them all readable? If a coded outline can not be achieved, use the players colour as a background behind their name which will be written in Black or White above it, changeable to which ever one works best, within the code, automatically when the colour is chosen?

I am not at all sure if any of this is achievable, it's just an idea I had when this topic came up.

LOL cbt711 got a reply in while I was writing this!
cbt711 wrote:
The white haze background would be hard. Right now they have perfect circles programmed which is pretty straight forward. The glow and haze and shadow effects are all drawn directly on the maps themselves. So they would have to program a pretty intense opaque graphic that floats over the maps, or each map would have to have the circles drawn in. So yes it would work (as long as one of the colors isn't white like I suggested) but not sure how they would implement it.

As for chat, you wouldn't even need an outline. Other than white, every color would easily show up in chat as shown by the mod / admin / vexer variations - all clearly distinctive from regular player colors.

If yellow shows up, and bright green shows up, then any color would be easily visible without the need for an outline, or background color so I think the issue is distinction from other colors and form the map colors. 

Map creators are asked to use non primary colors in their backgrounds and textures for that reason. So making an off color is hard since the backgrounds were made off colors on purpose. I think a different green would be the best bet, but I imagine green was made SO bright because darker green blended with some maps.
tramadol wrote:
cbt711
The glow and haze and shadow effects are all drawn directly on the maps themselves.
I didn't know this, it always looked like it was part of the circle not the map. I just checked the Map forum and there's a link there that shows the circle (neutral in this case) and it has the shadow on it (semi-transparent). http://www.dominating12.com//image/site/large_circles/6.png
Perhaps this changes things for you?
tramadol wrote:
PsymonStark wrote:
Maybe it's me, but I'd say that the circles have the slightest of all the black hazes behind them. I think that's why every colour stands out but black. But there is never (or almost) a black region, so it's fine.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
tramadol wrote:
cbt711
If yellow shows up, and bright green shows up, then any color would be easily visible without the need for an outline
I'm sure they use a darker version of the colour in the chat area.
Yellow is not pure yellow in the chat, but more of a gold (darkened yellow) and on the circle, it is pure Yellow.
Therefore, in order to have all colours exact and a new series of colours, you'd have to either outline the player names, change the background colour or keep them all as black text and have an oulined colour Spot next to the name.
cbt711 wrote:
Ok, I think I could draw 3 new circles, with slight haze as required to show up on all maps. New colors: White (shadow haze), Dark Green (white haze), and Maroon (white haze). For chat purposes:
[image]
(see no need for background color Tram)
First 9 are as is, bottom 3 would be the new ones.

I'll make up the circles as transparent png image files later tonight.
If I do this, and it actually looks good, will it ever be used?
cbt711 wrote:
Will also make banners like this guy
[image]
[image]
etc.
tramadol wrote:
Sorry cbt711, I was still talking about a whole new series of colours for the site not 12 players for a game, wires were crossed. See Post #19
Yes I agree that 12 colours are not a problem.
cbt711 wrote:
I can't imagine playing with more than 12 players personally, and even that would only be playable on a handful of maps. And the site is named dominating 12 after all! So I just stopped at 12 haha.
hosernaut wrote:
Just because I was curious as to how it would look, I just quickly made two different White circles.

[image] [image]

I think it could work, but some inexperienced people may get confused in capitols games.

Also, has a color blind option been considered? I used to play on another site with this function, and it can be helpful to distinguish between players. How it worked was pretty simple. If you had it active, then it put a letter corresponding with you color next to your troop number. So for example, if White had 6 troops stack together, it would be a the white circle, with w6 inside of it, instead of just the normal 6.
cbt711 wrote:
There is a color blind option. Search the forums for details. I'm not that familiar with it.