4 train riddle. maybe others too
  • 381 posts
  • Page 4 of 26
PsymonStark wrote:
cbt711 - Jul 2, 08:20 PM
That was quick. Psymon got it. Thought for sure the everyone would guess
Spoiler (click to show)

Edit: Brithday and birthdate are actually distinct entities, so Maafi is correct, not Psymon, still kinda shocked it was answered so fast.
Lol, even if I modified my post (noticed that 1900 wasn't a leap year) didn't see maafi's answer till I already did. We maybe were too fast, at least I was :P
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
cbt711 wrote:
The whole point was to get people to say February 29th, 1900.

Which never happened.
Matty wrote:
@Beta and ac-something: in order to be able to ALWAYS lie, or ALWAYS tell the truth, it follows that you need to know everything :).

For one, if you say "I don't know" and you really don't know, you are not lying.
If you ask the question as: "Is he Tom, yes or no", than "I don't know" is not a proper answer, truth or not.

So really, they have to know everything :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
ac084c wrote:
Matty, I don't draw that conclusion. If you truly don't know the answer to a question, "I don't know" is not a lie. 

Conversely, if you do know the answer, "I don't know" is a lie.

Asking for a yes/no response would solve the problem, however that violates the 3-word rule of the riddle.
Matty wrote:
Yes, but regardless of whether or not you actually ask it: if asking a yes or no question WOULD break their ability to always tell the truth or lie, than they either cannot have that ability (which is given that they do) or they should know everything.

From that I can conclude that they must know everything (or am I forgetting something stupid now?)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
ac084c wrote:
I guess I just don't view the three word question:
Spoiler (click to show)
As having only a yes or no answer to be true or false.

They could answer:
Yes
No
I don't know.
Who is Tom?

And probably other things I'm not considering if they aren't assumed to be omniscient. 
cbt711 wrote:
I posed this to a facebook group, and added "Robots John and Tom are fully briefed on the situation." That way you know they know each others names and they know which ones lie
BETA wrote:
@AC and @Matty,
After reading your posts, some deep thinking and 'nitty gritty' analysis, I must add and make clear a point in the riddle. Both the truth sayer and the liar give responses - either true, or false - to your question. They present it as a solution to your question. It is either the true solution for what you inquired, or it is a false solution to your inquiry.
So 'I don't know,' whether said truthfully (he really doesn't know), or said falsely (he knows and is lying), are impossible answers. because they do not present a resolution to your question.
Now, this being the case, they must know the correct answer to your Q.
Logic - why I am forced to say this -
Spoiler (click to show)
So in the riddle when they lie and tell the truth, its as the correct answer to your question. one will present the correct answer. and one will present the incorrect answer as the correct answer.
ac084c wrote:
I guess I just can't agree that 'Yes' or 'No' are the only valid answers to your question if that question is:
Spoiler (click to show)

"to your question" doesn't imply that the answer has to resolve the question you posed - it just has to answer it. "i don't know" does that, without violating the truth/lie components. 

If you added "with certainty" behind "to your question" then I think you're covered.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
NEW RIDDLE:

Riddle: 500 is at my end and my start, yet 5 is at my heart.
The first letter and the first number make me complete.
My name is that of a city.

What am I?

This is not my riddle, I stole it, and couldn't get it without cheating! :P I'm not sure how hard it will be for you guys, though - I'm not very good at riddles!

P.S. For the robot riddle, for three words, would this work?

Spoiler (click to show)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Virtuosity98 wrote:
Psymon is correct!!
Spoiler (click to show)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:

BETA wrote:
@Virtuosity,
I suppose your answer is good!!!
I like the other solution better, because it's a complete sentence, and for it's unique logic. But there was no requirement for that, so.... Congratulations!!
(I now know two solutions :) )

To your riddle, I am totally stumped! Can you give me a hint?
Spoiler (click to show)
Virtuosity98 wrote:
@BETA:

The only hint I can think of is a complete give-away. If you want a less obvious hint, wait a while and don't look at the following hint.

Spoiler (click to show)

EDIT:

Here's a very poor hint:

Spoiler (click to show)

That's all I can give without a give-away, sorry!
Day Actions: