Have a cool idea? Suggest it here!
  • 870 posts
  • Page 50 of 58
dough_boy wrote:
aeronautic
It appears that you some moral support for your map idea.

Or a bunch of friends in Philly. :)

I think it might work (once the creative is tweaked). There already is that wonky Europe game with horses, cannons and troops that dictate movement. So I am not concerned about that in the example. I do think the attack and damage, but not occupy wouldn't be possible, but attack any "port" could be.
aeronautic wrote:
dough_boy
I was being diplomatic, you have to read between the lines i.e. "moral support" :D

I agree with what you said, there is of course always the possibility of making the whole map "One Way" as in the Europe 1814 map, although this kind of game-play has proved unpopular, but when requested to have just 2 territories via a bridge as One Way, as I said, paraphrasing, this would require extra instructions in the key and can be off-putting to players, causing them to avoid using the map.
This is why I suggested to omit that idea and for the attack & damage, but not occupy, I suggested exactly that... make the waterfront territories into ports that can be attacked from the airports & sea port.

BTW guys, please do not spam this thread with your support for this map. It will only get sanctioned if it shows real potential & interest and if the creator is willing and able to undergo the arduous task of building it and developing it under the scrutiny of our many map critics & helpers to the standard required by D12.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
YesThereIsAnS wrote:
Polynesia. New Zealand Samoa Hawaii.... Easter Island?

Antarctica. Ok chill out...

Dune?

Seconding the Middle Earth idea...

Guilder / Florin (Princess Bride)
aeronautic wrote:
Are these all suggestions?

Do you have any examples of any of the maps & game-play to show us?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
farspaceplace wrote:
New zealand already been done (in two "versions" even) - one with only NZ, but also one with Australia. Ok the last one doesnt really count as a NZ map i guess, but still.
Hawaii also been done - in a dual version. There used to be a single hawaii version if i recall, but got scrapped for some reason?
farspaceplace wrote:
New zealand already been done (in two "versions" even) - one with only NZ, but also one with Australia. Ok the last one doesnt really count as a NZ map i guess, but still.
Hawaii also been done - in a dual version. There used to be a single hawaii version if i recall, but got scrapped for some reason?
patroclus wrote:
aeronautic
dough_boy
I was being diplomatic, you have to read between the lines i.e. "moral support" :D

I agree with what you said, there is of course always the possibility of making the whole map "One Way" as in the Europe 1814 map, although this kind of game-play has proved unpopular, but when requested to have just 2 territories via a bridge as One Way, as I said, paraphrasing, this would require extra instructions in the key and can be off-putting to players, causing them to avoid using the map.
This is why I suggested to omit that idea and for the attack & damage, but not occupy, I suggested exactly that... make the waterfront territories into ports that can be attacked from the airports & sea port.

BTW guys, please do not spam this thread with your support for this map. It will only get sanctioned if it shows real potential & interest and if the creator is willing and able to undergo the arduous task of building it and developing it under the scrutiny of our many map critics & helpers to the standard required by D12.

What is the next step for the Philly map then? How do we determine if it has real potential and interest? Is there something the map creator should be doing right now?
dough_boy wrote:
You need someone to create the map. If you don't have anyone, you need someone with the skills willing to create it.
aeronautic wrote:
@Tim69
I have been reviewing your suggested map and the first thing that is apparent is, there is too much information and too many conditions.
You can make the map more suitable to D12 by changing a few things:
  • List all impassables alongside each other, using tiny snapshots of them from the map. Only one of each type is required.
  • Make the map the whole size of the maximum 1024 pixels wide
  • Make everything two way. Not essential, but may make the map confusing & unpopular and adds more information to the key.
  • Remove any special attack conditions not supported by our current program, such as the Sea Port attack conditions.
  • Add or leave a space for; a Mini-Map to show Region bonuses.
  • Make sure that all territories are big enough to have a game Circle and a name Label.

Look at all the other map keys on the site, to get an idea of how to list them and still keep them within the map image. You'll see that Italia has a key outside the map area, but is still inside the map image, with a little trick of rotating the map image, as if it was a game-board on a table.

Once simplified / made more intuitive, the game-play guys and players will be able to see how it will play and may show interest or advise you on what needs changing etc. to make it viable.
Nothing has to be in detail at the moment, just rough images and text, but the layout has to be right, so that people can envisage it.

Have a good read of the DXII Guide to Map Making for detailed conditions and helpful advice.

One last thing:
patroclus
How do we determine if it has real potential and interest?
Is this a team effort?
Hoodlum wrote:
benmarcp
There should be a way to select a random map

that'd be good for tournament games

and the random map selections could randomise (standard maps - no special gameplay) according to the amount of players selected.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
mpesa wrote:

I like a lot of these ideas: Polynesia, Antarctica, Middle Earth, Dune.

YesThereIsAnS
Polynesia. New Zealand Samoa Hawaii.... Easter Island?

Antarctica. Ok chill out...

Dune?

Seconding the Middle Earth idea...

Guilder / Florin (Princess Bride)
mpesa wrote:
Apologies if any of these have already been suggested:

-Viking kingdoms/North Atlantic
-Feudal Japan (Warring States period)
-Paris Commune
-French Revolution
-Mongol Empire
-Roman Empire
-Ottoman Empire
-The America's 1491 (Aztecs, Incas and tribal territories from South America to Canada--very large map)
-Close-up of a city neighborhood (block by block)
-USSR
-Star Wars or Star Trek (planets as territories)
-Indian subcontinent (ancient times)
-Mars or the moon
-California
-Feudal manors (perfect for Capitals--The castle at the center of the manor can be the capitsl)
-Seige of Constantinople (or really any urban siege)
-Vietnam
-Mount Everest (divide the mountain into different territories)
-Forbidden City (Beijing)
mpesa wrote:
Washington DC or entre Chesapeake Bay region would be good too.