Have a cool idea? Suggest it here!
  • 870 posts
  • Page 44 of 58
ProblemChild96 wrote:
i like your mars map idea seth, i think adding Antarctica on world expand would cause to much connectivity between SA and Aus tho
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
SethHrab wrote:
Got a little bored so decided to fine tune to an extent and present a better picture of my thoughts on a mars map. Colors / Territory Names / Gameplay can be evaluated and changed easily, no worries there. I have of course in mind a reddish hue idea for the overall colors of this map anyway, but figured that some better detail might be helpful to have a better visual of the map itself.

Changes:
- color, obviously
- borders (something weird happened here.. I can recreate the whole thing if necessary, but I had an option on in PS that made sections darker if my mouse hovered, so these were redone)
- cut territories down to 72 for optimal neutrals in all player configurations
- added names for ease of suggestions
- removed some territories that didn't fit well and either placed elsewhere or scrapped entirely

Spoiler (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
It's fine if you were just killing time, but if the map doesn't show any interest, I don't want to see you waste your personal time.
Also, some of the enhancements / changes may be going in the wrong direction or are too specific at this early stage.

I understand that you are eager to start a map and develop your map skills, I would be too.
You are way ahead of a lot of first time map makers in ability so I'm sure you'll be able to develop and enhance your skills & knowledge with the help of the map community.
My one concern is that PDN is limited and although Hood uses it, he knows the limitations it has compared to Photoshop.
I think I posted a link to a free download of Photoshop CS2 (the full program, which I use) on one of your threads somewhere?
If not, PM me and I'll send the link and info again.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
SethHrab wrote:
aeronautic
It's fine if you were just killing time, but if the map doesn't show any interest, I don't want to see you waste your personal time.
Also, some of the enhancements / changes may be going in the wrong direction or are too specific at this early stage.

I understand that you are eager to start a map and develop your map skills, I would be too.
You are way ahead of a lot of first time map makers in ability so I'm sure you'll be able to develop and enhance your skills & knowledge with the help of the map community.
My one concern is that PDN is limited and although Hood uses it, he knows the limitations it has compared to Photoshop.
I think I posted a link to a free download of Photoshop CS2 (the full program, which I use) on one of your threads somewhere?
If not, PM me and I'll send the link and info again.

Yep, I got the link and downloaded the program - this map was actually done with that download. Thank you. I really am killing time honestly. Several maps at once gives me an opportunity to learn what works / doesn't. No worries, I have the original outline still saved as well. Just did some fine-tuning changes to what I could see obviously didn't work (which are mostly cosmetic and wanted to present a view of that rather than just a bare outline.
Hoodlum wrote:
Mars is a popular concept on other risk sites, they all seem to have one, so if we have one, it should be the best!:)
so i would check some of those maps out as references, be better, and of course different.
i think you should continue developing/learning this idea in your thread with the carto team feedback. Later on, it
could become at the least a good learning experience, and at the most, a d12 map.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum wrote:
now that Atlantis is done. what can we suggest for the talented aeronautic. what haven't we got?

Spoiler (click to show)

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Cireon wrote:
Do we really need more locations in maps? I wonder if we get more value out of reworking some older, popular maps.

Also, I'm a big fan of fantasy maps myself :3
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
A city in europe. For example: Rome.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Dima wrote:
Alexander the great empire, from ancient greece, over agypt, till india

Or just an ancient world map with babylon, phoenicians and such...
"vorple: the real strategy comes when you cant just win cuz you got lucky and got the big card stack"
SethHrab wrote:
EvilSinner666
Alexander the great empire, from ancient greece, over agypt, till india

Or just an ancient world map with babylon, phoenicians and such...

Here's what I rough sketched for an Alexander the Great Empire map. Obvious color issues, and no seas or surrounding lands drawn in yet. I did include all the major city states(?) I could find as regions, with Babylonia being the super-region of the map. Included the major rivers as well. This as it stands ends up being a 56 territory map. Kind of neat.

Spoiler (click to show)
ProblemChild96 wrote:
I think a canada map would be good if done right
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
Dima wrote:
why new Maps, when People Play on classic map 24/7 a week
"vorple: the real strategy comes when you cant just win cuz you got lucky and got the big card stack"
ProblemChild96 wrote:
New York map is good, maby there's another city that could be done?
aeronautic wrote:
why new Maps, when People Play on classic map 24/7 a week

This is just habit, convenience and familiarity.
What players don't realise is that they can make a lot of points out of studying other maps game-play. Every map has it's own bonuses.... be it, easiest bonus regions, super regions, maximum attack points, ease of travel, most defensible regions.
There are also maps that have limited travel / attack paths and it's best to learn where these are, so as not to make these your bonus region.
There are also hide-and-recuperate territories and many more things that make a map your best friend to gain maximum points.
Almost everyone knows every possible exploitation of the World Classic map, so your chances of winning are greatly decreased.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
knightour wrote:
Map of the island of Hispaniola.A map with only the Dominican Republic and no Haiti seems odd to me.