Graphical Update, gameplay is the same
  • 68 posts
  • Page 1 of 5
Glanru wrote:
Original: http://www.dominating12.com/image/map/10.large.jpg

I mentioned at some point that I had an intent to remake this map. Below is a link to how far along I am in that process. Please post your comments on what you think.

http://home.comcast.net/~bob.battle.scar/Images/Eld_World_Update.jpg
Paddlin wrote:
It makes your previous version look like it was constructed with color crayons.
Thorpe wrote:
Not a big fan of those little grey dots or straight connections lines...maybe curve them?
This map does not look like the same map...but nice.
I think though the background and land just blend together to much...the land does not catch my eye. Lower the saturation down on the background and the grey on the island might need something but I just do not know what, Is it to close to the blue color or brightness?

Even if you do not change nothing, this map works for me.

Nice job!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Cireon wrote:
Wow, it looks incredible. So much better than the original! I agree that the land should become brighter, so it stands out more. The whole map now has a "greyish" look over it.

Also, isn't this map too wide? Because maps usually are 1024 pixels wide and this one is clearly wider than the previous one...
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Vexer wrote:
this update will make the map an HD map. 1366 pixels wide.
Matty wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOOO

Now everytime I play this awesome map ill have to press the smaller button.

Yeah, looks nice.
But the land is way to saturated, and the background could (maybe, depends on the land) use a little bit more.

The connection lines look awefull as well, those circles on the end, looks like you put a screenshot out of some weird map editor, as if all the lines are selected.

Your font is called Segoe print isnt it? I love it, use it alot :P

Also this map looks a bit stretched. Maybe its because I know the old eld world, not sure.

But for the overal feeling its a really nice map, looks awesome to see such an eld world in a cave's wall.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
marcoxa wrote:
not to be rude, but its really boring. i mean really boring. the font looks to much like comic sans to me. the map dos not have alot of texture. the colors are bland. and it just looks like alot of the other maps on here rather than the different style it had before. i'm not liking any of the changes. sorry :(
Cireon wrote:
I don't think this map just copies the style of a lot of other maps. Give me three maps it looks like?

Now I look at it again, you could maybe lower the visibility of the texture on the sea area.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Glanru wrote:
The school term starts tomorrow. This may be a factor in the length of time before this update is finalized. Below are responses to your comments, and I still welcome more.

@Paddlin: Yes, yes it does. I had very little experience when I made the first version.

@Thorpe: Curving the lines would ruin the effect that I'm going for. I'm not sure what you mean by the background blends in too much with the land. The texture of the paper is similar to small wrinkles on a paper or paper-like material and would likely be more prominent than they are since I about halved the effect on the land. The background color is vastly different from any of the land, so again I'm not sure what you mean.

@Thorpe and Cireon: I will look into the background some.

@Cireon: Increasing the brightness of the land results in a lowered effect of the texture and a more bland map. I may be able to work a little with changing the texture, but most likely it'll look worse. As Vexer mentioned, it will be an HD map. Due to being spherical in nature a world that is not lopsided is represented exactly as twice as long as it is tall when flattened for a map. If you remove non-inhabitable or barely inhabitable areas such as the polar areas (this is assuming a tilt, rotation, and orbit around the a star similar to Earth that results in polar ice caps) than you have a map that is more than twice as wide as it is tall. However, such a map would not have good visual proportion for a world and thus I limited it to twice as wide and scrunched a little. Not nearly as much as is done on the various other world maps on the site.

@Matty: We are in the 2010's, I just expect everyone to have a 1920 x 1080 monitor. Even my three year old laptop had 1600 x 900 resolution. Well either way, that is what the smaller button is for. What you are saying sounds like the opposite of what the others are saying as far as land compared to background and more inline with what I see on my screen. Makes me wonder about people's monitor settings of brightness, contrast, and gamma. For example, I don't view maps on my TV due to the colorization being set ideally for me to view Netflix. Yes, that is the font I used.

@Marcoxa: Other than your mention not to be rude, I disagree with everything you stated. Though, I only partially disagree with the difference between it and different maps compared to the difference between the old version and different maps.
Cireon wrote:
My monitor is only 1440 pixels wide, which is a completely normal size I think, so it fits barely and I am afraid it won't fit if there will be a lot of buttons at the sides, but we will see.
Matty wrote:
Well, my laptop is little over two years old now, and it has a resolution of 1366x768, meaning that if the map has the size as the europe 1814, than it will cover most of the smaller button :)

I never play that map, but if you make this map this size (I will play this map cause I like the gameplay alot), than Ill probably make an option somewhere to have a default size for maps, and Ill be happy, so dont worry :P
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
Glanru...Matty and Cireon re-stated what I was talking about contrast between the background and the land...that is what I mean as blended to much.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
After reading that you thought the map looked like paper I had to relook at it.
It doesnt, it really doesnt.
Its a map in a prehistoric cave wall, skillfully carved in solid rock.
Which is better than paper, cause youre theme is Eld world.

Just one thing, maybe you should get deers and mammoths as decoration, instead of ships. That would be awesome!
Cireon wrote:
I have no idea how you see a cave wall in that, definitely paper. You are losing your sharp sight!