Graphical Update, gameplay is the same
  • 68 posts
  • Page 4 of 5
Matty wrote:
Maybe it only confuses you now I say this - I like this version - but I think its too bright.
I like the darkish look you gave your map, I just dont like the 'grayish' look.

They really are different things - the one is the Saturation, the other is the Value (or Lightness, depends)

I created a picture:
[image]

The left half has the problem that it looks to grayish, the right half suggests a solution.
I'd say, pick the top one for the land, and leave the sea like it was in the old version.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
I like the new placing of the ships better, I also like how the minimap is a little bit bigger.

But for the background I like this version best untill now:
http://home.comcast.net/~bob.battle.scar/Images/Eld_World_Update_4.jpg
I think that one just needs a little bit more saturation on the land and its perfect.

I will be happy with it if you decide to keep it that way though.

Also, i just want to say that your new one looks very good, but the old one is just a little bit better.

Oh, and other people, tell us what you think.
Am I the only one thinking it needs a bit more saturation, cause in that case I should just shut up :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
marcoxa wrote:
i have not been commenting on this cuz i just don't like it. and i just don't want to be mr crabby pants on the thread. there is no big focal point here. the background is distracting and is taking away from the land. the land needs a more impressive texture and the ocean or paper background whatever one your going with needs to be more tame. the colors are technically right but they just seem blah to me. and i really don't like the font, sorry but i cant stand it. i don't think you need to "*"s either. i think its pretty obvious given that they are different colors. sorry i don't have much positive things to say about this map but i just don't like it.
Matty wrote:
I defenitely think the *'s are a good addition, cause I've seen enough players having problems with it on the old map - and there its pretty obvious as well :)
Thorpe wrote:
I am done commenting on this map cause my comments go unanswered and I have said the land needs no greyness to it ...but as you can see...and I have said what marcoxa has said before...till this things get addressed why comment?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Fendi wrote:
The reason why I havent said much is because I havent had many problems with the new map and I couldnt agree less with marcoxa. I think the new version looks at least 100 times better than the active one.

Glanru, the blue ocean looks good and its well executed. It was hard choosing from the two updates but I think I have to agree with Matty and go with the brown background since I personally am more drawn to the warmth of the map.

Matty, I have increased the saturation a bit and darkened it just so that it wouldnt be too bright. I have used Glanrus #5 update since I like it the best. (Hope that was ok Glanru)

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/4123/eldworldupdate5fendi.jpg

Does this solve the 'greyish tone' or is it still there?
Thorpe wrote:
some but it is like I have been drinking...hazy.
If this is what we want then ok...his other new map has the same haziness to it.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Fendi wrote:
Well I increased the saturation on both the background and land, maybe the haziness will disappear if only the land was increased, just like Matty mentioned. I used the jpeg and not the real file.

I personally like the look and feel of his other map, Trails and Routes, I even tried to get the same style when the World Expanded was created, but as you can see, I failed miserably. hehe
But Vexer did an awesome job with the texture.
Cireon wrote:
Colours of the land look good on Fendi's version I think, but it is hard to comment on it without the original sea. Glanru, could you try doing the same as Fendi did but only to the land, I would like to see how that looks :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
I quote some things from marcoxa:
"the background is distracting and is taking away from the land"
"the colors are technically right but they just seem blah to me"
Something from Thorpe:
"some but it is like I have been drinking...hazy"
Or, as we all said:
" the 'greyish tone'"

So I think we all have the same problems with this map. I love the look, I love the feel, I love the warmth, but the background looks the same as the land. And both look a bit undersaturated.

I have a question for Marcoxa, about the font.
You said you disliked it - is that for the title, for the description, for the territory-labels? Or for all of them.

Cause I like the font, but I can understand its simple for a title.

Oh, and Fendi, it does remove the grayish tone, but is still not very good, cause the land and the background still look the same, both draw alot of attantion, and thus nothing does.
Thorpe wrote:
The vote is in ...

Out with GREY!
marcoxa wrote:
i don't like any of the fonts. they all look cheap/childish to me.
Glanru wrote:
More colorful, improved fonts, and considered best concept for rocket warfare!* Here's the update you've all been looking forward to.

http://home.comcast.net/~bob.battle.scar/Images/Eld_World_Update_7.jpg

*Opinion of my nephew of course, I swear I didn't coach him to say that...
Matty wrote:
Sorry, the land is really a great improvement, but the background looks pooish, and that ruines the whole map.
I think that if you use the old background from 4 or 5 it will look perfect!

On the font, on a first glance I didnt like the white, but now I like it, and I think it works well for drawing attention.
I do not really like the yellow (region names). It's a bit hard to read, and looks dirty on this background, but who knows how it will look on an older background.
I like what you do with the title, but the not-first-letters (as in, the not capital letters) could be a bit bolder.