Graphical Update, gameplay is the same
  • 68 posts
  • Page 2 of 5
Vexer wrote:
Matty, can we make the default size for all HD maps to use the smaller version on load?

I think the majority of players are not on 1080p monitors because many of them use laptops. So we could set it up so that if you have the extra space then you can choose the larger version. It would be nice if this preference was sticky across sessions.
Glanru wrote:
@Matty: There are many different types of paper. I've seen pads of all colors from yellow to blue! But, in this case, it's similar to a brown paper bag. If I were to go with the cave wall idea, I'd have to rework the text, land texture, colorization or more for the background texture, and definitely the lines. I'll consider it, but don't get hopeful.
Cireon wrote:
It should be possible to get the resolution using javascript or something, but I don't think it would work using non-fullscreen browsers. I don't think there is something like "browser width" you could check for that, but we could look into that. Would be nice if we could dynamically change the size of the map.

Also, yes, I see it looks a bit like that cave wall maybe, but I still see paper in the texture. Having a map based on a cave wall texture would be awesome though, but I think this would require to have all elements a bit prehistoric, so maybe not a good idea to do this now for this map.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Well, considering the theme, this would be the best map ever on a prehistoric wall :)

But we'll see howmuch time Glanru has left
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Dsds7292 wrote:
Sorry, I agree with pretty much everything Marcoxa said. It's a little better, but I think it is more of a change than an improvement.
-NoXoN- wrote:
 Amazing map, cleaner and and better than original.
 Thorpe give him one reason why to curve lines. I think they are good maybe glanru can try to make them like grunge by using eraser tool with brush mode and special brush with low opacity and erase them in some parts.
 I dont know why gray islands have thinner outline but it looks cool.
Maybe you can have some more text, try to write some names of fantasy sea or oceans with special font of course. And i would write region names in mini map if i can all it so.
Thorpe wrote:
That would work for the lines, Glanru.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Glanru wrote:
I used the windows color calibration tool in the control panel and realized my gamma settings were off. Things in general look better on my monitor now, I highly suggest people calibrate their monitors. I'll probably have an update in a week or two depending on homework.
The_Bishop wrote:
The sentence on the right of the title. I would write the "+2" bigger than the other words, maybe as big as the minimap bonuses are. It would make this spacial feature more notable bcoz every player is attracted when he reads "+2". Just if you like it.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Im not sure if this is an improvement.

The background attracks less attention, which is really good.
But as Cireon said, the old map looks a bit "grayish". This map looks even more grayish.

Your land doesnt have very much colour in them, would be nice to give it some more colour, instead of removing too much colour from the background.

Also the brown text looked a little bit better I think than just black text. And readability wasnt a problem.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Glanru wrote:
I really don't know what you guys are saying about the greyish look. What I see is a map that's very colorful, especially the land. The islands are the only thing grey, and they are meant to be. I have class today and my team all has laptops. I'll see if they can spare a minute to open up this image so I can view it on another screen. While I'm at it, I'll make sure to run color calibration on my laptop and check it there as well.
Matty wrote:
What I mean is that the colours have a quiet low saturation, giving it a sort of grayish, opaque look to it.
It gives a feeling of having 'little colour' in it.

See this for an example:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/fireworks/cs/using/images/bi_saturation.png

If you want an example of something having alot (too much) colour in it, check the old eld world map.

I guess screen quality decides alot, but my laptop isnt that bad.
Fendi wrote:
I actually think the new update looks good now that its been desaturated a bit, but the land may need to stand out a bit more, although I am not sure how that can be achieved.

I also agree with matty about the title, it looked better when it was brown..