Redone- Please comment.
  • 53 posts
  • Page 4 of 4
The_Bishop wrote:
I'm unsure about the capital placements for 7 and 8 players.
One cap in the Australian fringe creates too much problem for me.

I suggest to study possible changes. Perhaps like these:
7 caps (click to show)
8 caps (click to show)
(The same is for World Modified)
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
The_Bishop - Apr 7, 10:09 PM
One cap in the Australian fringe creates too much problem for me.
^ This, this this.
These caps are soooo overpoweredly good.
I haven' checked the new caps (others are better at caps than me), but basically any cap placements that doesn't have a cap in Australia is better.

It's a bit less unfair for world modified, but still unfair.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks Matty for your enthusiastic approval, unfortunately you're the only expressing some thoughts here! :(

I don't mean to propose exactly these caps as in my last post, but something similar, or even different, but not in Australia. A simple scheme can be for 7 players to take the capitals of 8 eliminating the Australian one.

I can find some agreements from my past games, for example:
Game 61836 (8P Capitals) - Here the speech:

1 Nov, 18:26 nikeboix69: [...] he also had a great setup having one of his countries in Australia along with his capital and he had great rolls,

2 Nov, 02:09 1771: yeah this set up is retarded
2 Nov, 02:10 1771: i think there should be two caps in europe rather than one in austie

2 Nov, 14:06 nikeboix69: Just wondering, if it was a 7 player instead, would be all the same caps minus Western Australia?

Yes for World Modified the problem is lesser, maybe caps can stay as they are there, but for World Classic I'd love a change.
Matty wrote:
Not that I will play much caps, but I'd still want them to change on world modified too.
Come one guys, you know bisshop is right, then tell him ;)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I'm trying to stay impartial as I don't want to influence what the other advisers and players think.

General Info:
This map has been around for a very long time and is the default map (therefore the most played). We had a lot of call for 4p Cap changes in Caribbean with absolute certainty from the players asking for it and the staff agreeing that the changes would be fairer and then some of the players who play it all the time did nothing but complain about it (for a while), they simply hate change from what they are used to. There are some players that play 7p / 8p Capitals on World Classic in the hope of getting the Oz Cap, it's like a magnet to them... but unfair to the game.
The reason it's unfair in World Classic, is that Oz has only 1 exit and you can move your Cap troops off-cap, still defending the Bonus Region & the Cap, but this is not the case in World Modified.

I reluctantly remark on this, but feel compelled to agree that in World Classic only, The_Bishop's new 7p & 8p Cap positions are better.

One other thing to note: Although it is unfair, it doesn't guarantee a win, even The_Bishop's linked game 61836 shows that he won from the Central America Capital and in most cases, you will have to spend more troops taking the Oz region, sometimes weakening yourself too much or playing catch up using the bonus.
Another alternative I have seen suggested is to make a connection to Oz from S.Am or Africa (I can't remember exactly), although this will probably change the bonuses.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
I don't think there is an advantage on getting the Australisn cap. I just think it's weird the effect of that cap on the game. There is no concrete advantage on conquering the region, but it's a concrete disadvantage to stay inside the bottle with 1 exit only.

If I get the Australian cap then I play like every other, just taking cards and reinforcing cap; at some point rather then spend troops elsewhere to take a card I prefer to take some 1's territory around my cap, then the second one together with Indonesia. It doesn't cost me so many troops to conquer the region, I only take cards like every other, and once all my forces will be in Indonesia then I will push one hop more to Siam so gaining a greater mobility. It's just what every player does, from beginner to expert, when he gets a cap in a dead-end.

The result then is that we have got 2 adjacent caps, India and Siam, that's highly weird, really I would never set a cap in a dead-end, but if we are forced then distances should be measured from the "neck of the bottle", India and Siam are adjacent! In World Modified the bottleneck is Indonesia rather than Siam, not adjacent to India then, but still 2 caps are closer compared to the others. But okay let's say in World Modified it can stay, but for World Classic we need a change.

@Aeronautic: I am the one who proposed the Aussy-Africa connection in a map that I have called World Reformed (look here) and I have excellent caps for that map, specially 4 and 7 players.