Map in process
  • 113 posts
  • Page 1 of 8
Glessesboy wrote:
the map of the netherlands (click to show)

I would like to here your ideas and input on what I have created.
Matty wrote:
Gameplay wise:
- Not sure how this fits territorially, but can you connect Hoorn to Dokkum instead of to Sneek? (maybe give Dokkum a bit more territory).
- A bonus of 5 for Gelderland (Arnhem's region) is way to much. Same for N Holland (Amsterdam's region).
The normal formula for region bonusses is "the Number of territories /3 + Number of territories to defend /2.5." - round as you want.
While you can deviate from this formula (I think), it's pretty much always better not to. (source).
- All regions are pretty small. Maybe you like that, and I didn't do the territory count, but you could easily add Eindhoven, Apeldoorn or Alkmaar. Depends on what kind of map you want to make.

Graphics wise:
- (territory-) lines usually look nicer when they're thin, these are quite broad.
- The background (Belgium/Germany) has the same intensity as the foreground (NL). Maybe make the background a bit darker and the territories lighter? Or the other way around? Maybe the background a bit more saturated?
- Utrecht and Amsterdam have similar looking colours, maybe a bit more contrast? Same for Venlo and Oss. And a bit for Roosendaal and Rotterdam as well.
- White text with a black shadow is well readable. White text with a very light grey shadow is less easy to read.
- It feels very weird that there's no border line between the background (Belgium/Germany) and the sea.
- Would be cool if there was a tiny line to separate Belgium from Germany, so that you can see where the tripoint is.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
Also note there are a couple of places where you have 4 territories meet. This is not allowed on D12 maps, since it's ambiguous whether diagonals connect.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Glessesboy wrote:
new desing (click to show)

How a bout this one?
Matty wrote:
That could work. Still a lot of borders though, maybe you can add some rivers to make some regions better defensible.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Glessesboy wrote:
Yes planning on doing that,!
I'm thinking about how to keep it as accurate as possible with those rivers.

Any idea's or tips for the map, gameplay wise?
The_Bishop wrote:
Looking cool start! ;)

I can't help much on geography because I don't know much of Netherlands geography, sorry.
I've anyway heard about canals and rivers, so Yes @ what Matty said, And I think there are also some long bridges over the sea, if I am not wrong.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Glessesboy wrote:
@The_Bishop No, no bridges.
The small lines on the top, there is nothing just sea.
The long one is a Dyke with a road on top of it.

So i'm testing some ideas
Glessesboy wrote:
How about this? (click to show)

Is this playable or?
i'f not, i'm gladly to hear all tips and trics
Matty wrote:
I see a few good first try regions, a few good combinations, some chokepoints, some regions to hide in, some territories to protect trap other people.
Looks like a good map to me.
Cireon wrote:
My big concern is that there seem to be just 2 territories (tip of Overijssel and the northmost territory in South Holland) connecting the north and south of the map, which is going to lead to a lot of problems in capitals, and will make the regions they are in very undesirable. The south is also very detached with only 2 territories giving access to all of the southern 3 regions.

Edit: oh wait, I think there is a third route from the north to the south through Flevoland.

Could you add numbers/names to the territories so we can discuss the map more easily?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Glessesboy wrote:
new with numbers (click to show)

Here the numbers.
I will work some more on the desing later, i have some good ideas.
dough_boy wrote:
I think he was saying number each territory so that people can say the connection between 2 and 3 should be addressed, etc.
Glessesboy wrote:
Upload the wrong link (click to show)

Names of the citys. or are numbers easier?
dough_boy wrote:
This is fine, he just wanted it for reference when discussing areas of concern. It will be changed later most likely.