Hoodlum map
  • 97 posts
  • Page 1 of 7
Hoodlum wrote:
Developed in map dabble thread. paused continuation. but feel free to comment, ideas, feedback etc

WORLD WAR 2 - AXIS & ALLIES

Currently 68 territories + 12 regions

Theme. World War 2.

100% view
ww2 (click to show)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Jimi wrote:
is Japan Connected to W.USA? because it's not very clear

“While you were so busy forcing me into a boner, you forgot you were committing one yourself.”

Batman
Matty wrote:
Because Aeronautic had some ideas on this map, I'm not going to comment on it as of yet.

Except maybe to repeat what I'd said before: the map layout looks very much like the map that -NoXoN- made, but retracted later on.
His looked way cooler btw :dealwithit: :P
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
-NoXoN- wrote:
Jimi
is Japan Connected to W.USA? because it's not very clear
No, Japan is connected to Hawaii. Territory name is missing.

I like your comment Matty. I spend countless hours on a map :( making nice map is not a trip over the night so i think we will see better image in next update.

Would like to hear something from Vexer about this map, he always have good ideas.
Hoodlum wrote:
oh yeah. i had made the font a bit smaller and musta forgot to put hawaii label on there. (image edited)
nox suggested for me to give this theme a go, and i like the initial attempt i made. I think there is interest for the theme. I had been looking at axis and allies game maps prior.
aero may take over and that would be cool. he's got ideas he seems enthused about.
comments on the gameplay could be useful while we wait for aero,
dough_boy wrote:
man...if only we could actually make it seem like AxA with different types instead of just infantry. E.g. planes, tanks, etc. Planes can attack say 3 territories over, tanks 2, infantry 1. You can battle for the ocean too, etc. Each territory could have multiple of each item.
Hoodlum wrote:
lost the source file of other one,. so a re-do
Pacific centred world map - 75 territories (large) no scroll dimensions = 1024 x 635

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
dough_boy wrote:
Nice...only comment is on the neutral shading. Too similar to the oceans and Europe. Could you add some subtle stripes/lines or something to those?
Cireon wrote:
I like the neutral territories and the fact that the Allies covers both sides of the map, though not sure if the latter may end up being confusing.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Cireon wrote:
Also, is it just me, or is this map really generous with region bonuses?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
i tried changing the background a few times so the neutrals wouldn't hide, but also trying not to make them stand out too much, but nothing was working.
aero wants to tackle this, so it's mainly another reference to work with.

I like that allies observation Cireon 'Allies covers both sides of the map'
I also like that it has Japan & Hawaii centred. Timeline is before US join the war.

neutral texture edit (click to show)

100% view

I calculated the bonuses of vexers formula, but my math isn't the best

----------------------------------------------------------
Number of territories / 3
          +
Number of territories to defend / 2.5

----------------------------------------------------------

Matty wrote:
The lines seperating territories look quite sharp, (similar to the timor map, but more metallic). Especially for this theme, I really like that choice.
However, the borders with the sea look very different. Almost blurry. Well, not blurry, but less sharp. It feels wrong.

Apart from that:
- I don't really like the current neutral texture - it's too different from the map's style.
- A quick count showed me 7 territories that are not borders. That's very little. Are you sure this theme will make for a good map?
- I feel you can do more with colors. For example, Russia, being soviet, could be red. While the USA, being capitalistic, could not be red.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
was going for the red white and blue for americas initially.

colour change to make ussr red.

neutrals with a bit more colour contrast.

outline redrawn. I noticed that it was blurred too, i think it happens with resizing things.

I think the limited border defence suits the chaos of the theme. world war

it's been input in the test map panel. play is fun so far

feedback edits (click to show)

100% view
dough_boy wrote:
Looks good. Only thing I notice is that unless I am missing something I believe Africa should be a bonus of 4 instead of 5.

Region Territories Defend Raw Reco Actual Difference
AXIS 11 9 7.266666667 7 7 0
Allies 8 6 5.066666667 5 5 0
USSR 6 5 4 4 4 0
Africa 6 6 4.4 4 5 1
SE Asia 4 4 2.933333333 3 3 0
China 2 2 1.466666667 1 1 0
Japan 11 5 5.666666667 6 6 0
ANZAC 6 3 3.2 3 3 0
USA 4 3 2.533333333 3 3 0
Latin America 3 3 2.2 2 2 0
Andies 4 4 2.933333333 3 3 0