Hoodlum map
  • 97 posts
  • Page 5 of 7
Hoodlum wrote:
dough_boy
I like it. The only remaining comment is what are the icons over France and Italy?

https://imgur.com/a/0Cma4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_warfare_of_World_War_II

just smaller ones..they looks similar but are different coloured dots in the middle. smaller because there's not much space.

i thought i'd add those countries in particular, i'm not really a ww2 buff, but i think i remember doing some research and felt those countries in particular needed some of those icons

airforce roundels - i believe they are called.

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

game 979439 - game view
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
It's beautiful!
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
dough_boy wrote:
I don't think they are needed for France and Italy...just look out of place. Others go with other major powers like Japan, etc.

My last comment which I left in the test game is I would swap the US and the Canada/UK colors. When the circles are on the map the UK colors are too similar to Axis.
Hoodlum wrote:
doughs suggestions

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

game 979415 - game view
aeronautic wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

I'm glad that you changed the insignia sizes to unify them, they would have spoiled the map.
The change of colour for UK & Canada is also a good choice, the earlier blue was too conflicting with the grey/blue of German conquered territories.

The suggestion to remove the small insignia for France & Italy was also a good one for unity and aesthetics.

The main suggestion I have right now is to replace the diagonal connection between Africa & S. America and use the same method as Greenland to Iceland.
I would also suggest removing the small USA insignia from Hawaii, but I fear that the island group is so small at this scale, it won't be easily recognised as part of the USA by colour.
The same goes for the small insignia on the Solomon Islands off New Guinea and the Polynesian Islands.
Therefore, I ask for other people's thoughts on this?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
africa - south america line change.

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

three small insignias - pacific theatre
the hawaii one was added first because i thought it would make it clearer that hawaii belonged to USA. plus because it is a big action area for world war 2.
the japanese one down by guinea displays the extension of the Empire of Japan.
Polynesia because it is small and the islands might be confused to belong to south america. from a polynesian cultural perspective, i like how it connects from NZ and to Hawaii. Hawaii is considered polynesia down these ways.

overall i think the smaller insignias help tell a story and are suited to a pacific centered map
Hoodlum wrote:
but after having said that. i think it's fine without the small insignias after taking them off.

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

AlexCheckMate wrote:
I prefer to keep the small insignia - I see no reason for how it can be disturbing (in an aesthetic way)? They don't bother me the slightest
Whereas on the up side, it does provide clarity that they belong to those regions for the bonus - I'm a fan of clarity.

Two more remarks; 1) are the boni meant to be like they are for Aus region and West South America region? (both +3, but 1 of 6 territories, the other 4 - yes, the first has only 2 border territories and the latter 4; yet with WSA, you can also conquer ESA to have 6 territories with +4 then (ok... 1 more border...)) - all fine by me.
2) I think the insignia should be removed from the minimap for the UK part
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Fendi wrote:
Just a small remark.
Would it be possible to reduce the size of the number on the mini-map a bit?

Nicely done Hoodlum. When can we conquer it? :D
Hoodlum wrote:
Fendi
Just a small remark.
Would it be possible to reduce the size of the number on the mini-map a bit?

Nicely done Hoodlum. When can we conquer it? :D

smaller number sizes
Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

@fendi - do you even play anymore? :)

@alex - i thought that the insignia in the allies value would help clarify that europe and north america were part of the same bonus. since britain is small on the minimap. also on different sides of the actual map.

also using the bonus calculator http://tournament.x10host.com/bonuscalculator.html for the values or whatever feedback i had adjusted it to from previous posts.

Game view = game 979415

capitals tests were done during gameplay edit

2 players Game 981179
3 players Game 981189
4 players Game 981188
5 players Game 981190
6 players Game 981191
7 players Game 981192
8 players Game 981193
9 players Game 981194
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Hoodlum
@alex - i thought that the insignia in the allies value would help clarify that europe and north america were part of the same bonus. since britain is small on the minimap. also on different sides of the actual map.

I figured as much, but I see no other insignia used. If you add the one for Canada, it would make sense/consistency in my eyes, but just UK feels of - possibly make UK a tad bigger?

It's funny that months ago I already felt the map was completely done (and I still kinda feel so), however, we're all still finding things which we might prefer to see slightly different, for all kinds of justifiable reasons - what an optimisation process :roll:
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
dough_boy wrote:
One final suggestion. What about swapping the "green" of the 1 bonus region in middle asia for the brownish color of iran/india. That Iran/India region is very similar to Egypt...
Hoodlum wrote:
iran/india colour swap

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view