The Black Sea and surrounding areas
  • 97 posts
  • Page 3 of 7
The_Bishop wrote:
Moai
Spoiler (click to show)

Moai, it's cool! This is a well designed map. I can't wait to play it, like most of people I guess. But I have some remarks.

- The title is missing. I suppose will be in the middle, just where Black Sea is.

- Colour scheme I think needs to be adjusted. Those 2 regions with identical colour are not good in my opinion. I like colours as they are in the West part (Greece, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Romania) not much the rest: they are mostly too strong and probably Middle East is too pale, at least in comparison with the blue of Eastern Turkey!

- The link (dashed line) between Ankara and North Cyprus should be probably moved a bit to the left so making it more intuitive and avoid confusion.
- I would like Constantinople and Troy to stay connected. Probably it is a bit hard to make it graphically, but I think 1-dash-only dashed line can solve the issue.

- Game-play is good but there is a great "But": 51 territory maps are unfortunately forbidden per the DXII Guide to Map Making (section: Game Play / Strategy) and this is for wise reasons.
So 1 territory should be added somewhere, or either 7 territories should be removed, but I recommend to just add one. :) (Obviously!)

P.S. I have just noticed a small flaw: between Northern Caucasus and Azerbaijan, a small portion of the first has got the colour of the latter.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
naathim wrote:
Well, I think that we should just assume there's going to have to be a lot of graphics fixes. Really the whole thing just needs polished up. Bishop's hit the main ones on the head. I will add that it's too bright. Don't forget to grey out the boot on Italy. Looks purplish now.

As for adding a territory, Kurdistan to northern Iraq should do the trick. Keeps the region fair, geographically accurate, not squishing of titles. Or add Kosovo to Serbia.

As for title, well he already has the other seas labeled, so just pop it in the Black Sea, make it bigger, and voila!

The connection lines would look good with a little curve to them. Especially Cyprus/Ankara and Crete/Achaia.

Troy is probably not an appropriate territory label. Balikesir or Cannakale would fit. Guney Marmara would probably be best? With Marmara renamed Catalca Kokaeli. Aegean should be Ege, Diyarbakir should probably be Guneydogu Anadola, Hopa should probably be Dogu Karadeniz and Samsun should be Orta Karadeniz. Really I think Turkey needs reworked to fit the actual region borders a little better. They're a bit arbitrary right now. As is the line dividing Bulgaria in half.

While it's not always possible, there does need to be more consistency on labels. Currently there are nations, regions, territories, and cities all represented. If it could be narrowed down to just nations and regions, it would be better.

That's really just tidying up. The overall map and gameplay are solid. Good work, hopefully we'll be getting to play it soon!
aeronautic wrote:
@Moai,

It is customary to completely finish the set-up & game-play before refining the graphics for obvious reasons.
Stick with The_Bishop & naathim for this, they will get the map to it's best potential.
Later on when they are happy, you'll get some feedback and assistance from Myself & PsymonStark to refine the graphics.

Can I say though, I see this becoming a beautiful & popular map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yep, I can offer my help / assistance for that. I think Naathim really suggested many things. They all are wise but they are many, I hope Moai doesn't get discouraged if there is some rework to do. Also I think I have a different idea about where to add that one territory.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Axobongo wrote:
looking real good,,,  (and gives me the urge to do some sand fishing) , i really think the name 'Troy' is fine, there is something nice about the names in this being easier to grasp and remember , which helps when referencing in chat , or locating etc. And there is something nice about the classical names chosen.  Some artistic license is fine in name selection as i see it , maps come from various eras, various cultures, and every nation has more than one name in reality.

Moai wrote:
I'm not discouraged rather I get really busy, lol. Where can we add another territory, that really threw everything amok. And if I connect Troy to Constantinople it makes West turkey rather hard to defend, no?
-NoXoN- wrote:
Not a bad star. If this is Black Sea map then you must focus more in black sea. No need to include so many regions that are far from Black sea and is not wrong to have dead area in map. To be clear, you dont need to include regions like Levant.
Maybe you can use some ships in sea, if you need for better gameplay.
momagajic wrote:
Serbia territory not good at all,it's going left togheter with Croatia and there is a line
Dima wrote:
Maybe make the names of territories fit to each other. Some are ancient names like cobstatinople or troy and some are modern like bosnia or iraq. So decide in which time period the map is set and makes the names fit. I also dont like the colors, too bright, maybe the style of japan korea map would be nice. A more ancient and used looking style.

I like ecerything else, cant wait to play
"vorple: the real strategy comes when you cant just win cuz you got lucky and got the big card stack"
Hoodlum wrote:
almost 2 years since Moai has been active, and this map had some good interest and still getting them, so i had a play with it incase he doesn't come back.

from the feedback, I added a required territory, and since Italy is doing nothing why not make it one? maybe the same bonus?

connected Constantinople and Troy as Bishop sugested, and I reshaped Serbia as moma suggested.

*still gotta rename territories to nathaam's and others suggestions

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
dough_boy wrote:
Per the "rule":

Bosnia/Serbia/Montenegro should be +2
Wester(n?) Ukraine/Klev/Odessa/Luhansk should be +3
Rostov/Krasnodar/Kalmykia/Northern Caucasus should be +3

Will there be attacks on the Black Sea? Maybe Samsun, Varna, Odessa and Krasnodar? I applogize if this has all been mentioned before.
Matty wrote:
My guess now would be that Italy part is of the greece region, but it's not very clear.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
edits.
-some territory name changes suggested by Naathim.
-some extra texturing
-bonus edit according to vexer formula.

I was just thinking Italy just be 1 territory no bonus land.

Moai initially intended for the map to have ports connections in the black sea which would of justified the title/theme, but the map developed without them. I added '& surrounding areas' in the title, since it's not really much gameplay focused in the black sea other than the Crimea bonus.

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
Maybe add a 0 as bonus for italy or something?
It's not very clear that italy is regionless.

Not really sure what to do here, as the 0 is ugly :pirate:
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
dough_boy wrote:
Does it have to be anything at all? Just don't label it?

Or make it like Crimea where it is +1 if you hold it and an adjacent?