81 territories
  • 210 posts
  • Page 3 of 14
The_Bishop wrote:
Aeronautic I think you are going to provide a good elegant style and also very precis! But...

I do think that that font is too smaller and even the territories 'dividers' are too thin, they require a bit of effort by my eye to check what territory borders with which. Sorry for not having said it before, I just realized it now.

As for references I suggest you to look at the World Expanded map, look how big the font is and still things are clear even if in many places tags cover the 'dividers'. You don't need to perfectly fit tags inside the territories...
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
Yes I know it's not required, but you mentioned that at this resolution there would be a lot of tags overlapping dividers and so I put this up as a test of a font size to show that they could be put inside the territories using the most cramped Region as an example.
I can easily make them bigger!
With regard to the Dividers, they are 1 pixel thick, with anti-alias, just as most maps here are... if I made them 2, they would be the same as the Region Borders? The map would have no distinction then... shall I just try it across 2 or 3 Regions so they can be compared to each other for distinction?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
lifeinpixels wrote:
I'm a fan of how you were able to fit the map in players' screens by tilting the map (on a table!) The map is looking nice too. Good work guys.
aeronautic wrote:
Here is draught 2 with larger tags and thicker / bolder Territory Dividers.
Corsica has been redone with more detail, colour, dividers & circles, as it is no longer a neutral.
All 81 Territories are now present.
I don't think there will be a problem with divider overlapping as the brain fills in the gaps of continuation, as long as the tags don't overlap any crucial points of reference.
Italia Draught 2 (click to show)
I also sorted out a bit of thickening of Region borders due to the rescaling process with separate layers.

I also put more coastal detail into the Balkan region.

Any feedback on the Mountain Ranges (green embossed with grey outline)?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
The changes are nice. I have to say that I have just re-read the thread and noticed that Matty's suggestion was not only to remove the ports but also to reduce the connectivity. I will think about it, but let me say that it is absolutely not a map that you can reach every territory in 4 hops, that wouldn't be great for deathmatch games in my opinion, but still I need to have regions not too much apart in order to have fair capital games... A middle way. I will provide an accurate game-play description as soon as the first basic version will be ready.

@Aeronautic - Changes are nice but I fear there is not enough place for texts and circles. For examples where the tag 'Mantova' is, a bridge should be there, also I think Bergamo will be probably a capital so with a white ring around that would cover the tag... I think we need to work on 1200 size as a HD map. I guess circles are always the same size in a HD map, only the map is bigger, so that it can grant us to have more place. (I guess but I'm not sure, because if the map is bigger and the circles too, so doesn't change anything, it would be just a matter of resolution and nothing else). Or if you want to fit it in a 1024 size I think the work will be hard to do.

@Urgul - I have a hunch why you wouldn't want to do it like a board on a table. But consider the map you wanted to do, it was almost upside-down. This is only a little rotation, plus with a table background giving the idea of a perspective image.
lifeinpixels wrote:
Don't worry Bishop, I think that most players here would not be opposed to your design. It's definitely preferable to lots of scrolling!
aeronautic wrote:
I have resized it to 1200 resolution.
I had a whole lot of trouble with border thicknesses due to the resizing of all layers. I think I've fixed that now!
Here is an alternative HD version... see if it makes a difference, if not, the other one is still exactly the same as it was and we can go back to it and I'll ask the almighty for that couple of hours of my life back... LOL
Italia Draught 3 (click to show)
Matty wrote:
Personally I like the idea of rotating the map on a table.

Also I think both resolutions are fine - I'd prefer the 1024 one, as I'm playing from a small laptop, but you should choose it :)

Apart from that I don't really care about thick or thinner lines, but the thicker ones look less blurry, so I'd go for them.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I can sort out the crisp look of the Dividers.
I have just seen in the light of day that the resizing caused a lot more thickening of Region Borders than I corrected last night.
I will see which size is preferred first and if the 1200 then I will give the Regions and overhaul!

So far we are getting what I expected, older monitors and perhaps mobile phone screens to contend with, so my choice would be the 1024 size to be more suitable to more players.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes I agree with 1024, sorry for having been confusing. I mean, it doesn't make sense to rotate the map to reduce the scrolling and then enlarge it to 1200 augmenting it again. So I vote 1024, but still I am worried about fitting every element. Aeronautic if you want I can care about it but I think you are faster than me and you know better how to organize layers.

Just please, could you show me what happens with territory tags in this area:
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q700/Photo_Bishop/Italia_2_circle_zps5308a704.png?t=1390831803
?
The_Bishop wrote:
I forgot to answer Thorpe...

No, it is not a worm, it is my country, we usually call it 'Lo Stivale' (= the boot)
or also 'Il Bel Paese' (= the beautiful country)!

LOL... just FYI
aeronautic wrote:
I'm sure he was being sarcastic about your brown mountain range in the early draughts Bishop.

I prefer 1024, we will fit things in honest.
The_Bishop wrote:
Aaahh got it, they were so similar to worms, that's true!

@Aeronautic - We Americans like better to write 'draft' instead of 'draught'... ;)
just because it's shorter!
aeronautic wrote:
But I'm not American, I'm British and therefore, make allowances for way they 'dumb down' our English language & grammar!
Don't worry, I can still understand it, so carry on writing it the way you all feel comfortable.

We British created our English language from our original 'Q' Celtic (Still spoken in Wales, Scotland & Ireland), mixed with Roman & Saxon. Even our Norman Kings & Queens had to learn it!
There has been talk of restructering the language, but eveyone else seems to be trying to do it for us including our own youth!

Talk 2 u L8r dude, dont axe me 2 change tho OMG!

I will show you the tags in that area tonight mate!