81 territories
  • 210 posts
  • Page 10 of 14
Matty wrote:
@Aeronautic: You are probably completely right in what you say.
The only thing I do is giving my opinion on things - sometimes ppl like me for doing that because generally they do give something to make things better. You are however completely free to ignore me - and at some point you will have to ignore either me or someone else.
Please note that I only comment on maps that I love one way or another and thus really want to become super good.

I personally prefer to look at mountains from the side instead of top.
For example Thorpe's Middengeard or Realm of Honoured Players have mountains that I like.
Not important: I think ROHP mountains could be even prettier if every mountain had one colour, like in the middengeard one.
The USA map also has some pretty ones and that link from naathim above has some nice ones as well.
But tastes differ, so if you like this one best, than keep it. They are already pretty good as they are right now, I just think that for me they can be better. But maybe that's just me.

@Naathim: I really like this site for not having a standard mountain. Maps would become pretty boring if we got standard mountains, bridges, shorelines, or whatever other things that make maps cool :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Thank you Matty & naathim for inspiring words and helpful images.

I have tried another method of grey stone mountains at an angle rather than from above.

I have not changed the Key Card nor the Mini Map and won't until the mountains are set in stone, pardon the pun!

Calibria changed to Calabria region, I hope this is correct, I will need The_Bishop to confirm this?

Italia 14 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
UltrasPlot wrote:
I checked for you instead of Bishop. It is indeed Calabria.
Also nice work. Can't wait, although easily defendable bonuses are more of my thing. :)
Vexer wrote:
@aeronautic Thanks for using my suggestions. I'm pretty happy with what you did. I think the mountains are an improvement but a bit smooth. A quick fix would be to put some monochrome noise over them. I tested this, it only took a minute and looked better to me.

@the_bishop ok, let's let the game play stand for now. We will do an extra long beta period and see if anyone who actually plays the map with various settings has complaints about defensibility. If there are many complaints then we can implement the small changes suggested by Matty and myself. I don't want to hold the map up any longer. It's pretty much done.

@naathim thanks for the useful link on making mountains.
Matty wrote:
I wonder how it will look like if the mountains are a bit less dark.
They're good, but somehow don't have the feel of the rest of the map. Not sure, but maybe it's because the map itself is pretty bright and happy, while the mountains are a bit gloomy.

Hehehe, nice pun :roll:
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
@Matty I was actually thinking that after I did the mountains... too dark!
I will play around with them as Vexer suggested and see what comes up and if not satisfactory to me, I will redraw some new ones tonight.
It was the type of mountains that really mattered to me, all the fine tuning and tweaking was, for a cartographer, obligatory. Without a settled mountain range type that most were happy with, the map was unable to progress.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Amazing! I am so happy for the progress!
@Vexer, thanks for your game-play approval.
@Aeronautic, I like the new mountains.

- A little detail -
Three Italian regions have composed names:
"Trentino - Alto Adige";
"Friuli - Venezia Giulia";
"Emilia - Romagna"

People usually (almost always) call them in short: "Trentino", "Friuli" and "Emilia".
So I propose to use the short names for this game map. Practically as it is now it's okay, except "Emilia-Romagna" that should be shortened as "Emilia". It also fit better in the mini.map in my opinion.

- About the title -
First of all... "ITALY" or "ITALIA"? The second sounds good for me, but aren't all the D12 maps titled in English?
And also, the title as it is now it looks too 'flat' for me. I would like it too be a bit more '3-dimensional'...
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
Forgot to say - I'm available to input territory names and regions as soon as the map will be ready.
Matty wrote:
I think Italia sounds much more awesome and is readable enough. And if all other maps don't do that, someone's gotta be the first one.
The_Bishop wrote:
Okay, thanks guys, so go head with... Italia!
My "beautiful country" :)

Thanks UltrasPlot for confirming "Calabria" as region name.
aeronautic wrote:
Thank you everyone for the valuable feedback and suggestions.

I opted for a bit of rework on the mountains and hope they are now more to everyone's taste to some degree?

I did all the changes that were listed above and did what I thought The_Bishop had in mind on the map name ( Italia ).

These changes were done days ago, but I have been unable to get online recently. Many apologies in advance if I don't get online again for a little while.
Italia 14 (Previous) (click to show)
Italia 15 (Latest) (click to show)
The_Bishop wrote:
Yep, I also like the mountains. They looks like snowy and they have such a realistic shadow! And... I love the title now :) Thanks Aero, great job!
Matty wrote:
Amazing map, surely a beauty to look at. I should really start playing some games again soon I guess.