the rigth/duty to turn in is just with 5 or more cards, isn't true?
  • 303 posts
  • Page 10 of 21
Thorpe wrote:
-Matty
- The rule change was made because it's more logically, and it makes games (in general) more interesting.
-So when the board game came to the U.S. they did not use logic when they changed the rules? Well they did make "RISK" a household name not using logic...Bully for them!

Matty
- Most of your points actually have nothing to do with the rule change, but are side effects from alot of things (most notably: back then we had alot less active players)
-Really? Side effects...that is not caused by the rule change? I can give you reasons for them ...right out of the mouths of some of the players that do them...you need to get out more...try to do some "Live Games" or just do some drop ends.
Matty
I miss the point why this rule was there - because the rule makes more sense, and because it makes games much more lively, much more intense, much more interesting.
Wow! Bishop said that we were not using the rules that was back when the game was first made.(Pre-WWII) and that we could solve the long deathmatches that were a stall by using the old rules. By the way, this was before non-logical U.S. changed the rules and they made "Cap" games after this also. This statement made by feelings.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
lifeinpixels - Nov 11, 11:50 AM
Just a quick clarifying question, if a player with 1 wildcard goes to kill a player with 2 cards, can that player turn in his set of 3 since he knew it would make a set before he attacked?
Currently: Yes.
With the reverse rule change: No.

@Thorpe, I took the time to give some sort of answer to all of you points, please take the time to answer all my answers if you disagree with them, and surround them with [ spoiler ] and [ / spoiler ] (but then without the spaces).
Please not that if we are going to revert this rule change for capital games, than this should be thought of very carefully, that is why I sort of answered all of them for you. I do not hate your or something :)

Edit: If I would play more live games, they would be deathmatches ;) So no use there I think.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
lifeinpixels wrote:
You should play more live games in general.

If players aren't able to use wildcards like I suggested then I don't this rule as much. Wildcards will lose much of their value, but I guess if advocates of this change are looking for less luck then that's a good thing. But I wish the rule could be broken if a player had a wildcard because I think it makes the game more interesting.
Thorpe wrote:
Matty I am trying....just can not just go back and forth and I forgot your spoiler...lol

Because you do not play "Cap" as I do...you have problem seeing the problem...you see the plus on deathmatches and I give you all those ++++++.
That is why you need to play or watch "Cap",Live. Then you might understand.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
If you right click the "Previous Page" link, and choose "Open Link in New Window", than you can have them both open simultaniously :)

Alternatively you can copy them all and write the answer below.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
Some of the points, we can go back and worth cause they are "points of view", so if you only look at the face of a quarter you miss the back side of the quarter. Deathmatches vs Capital.
You play mostly deathmatches vs I play mostly capitals, different "point of view"...that is why I said good and bad. I want to get into the bad...but if you want to discuss all points..ok.
Spoiler (click to show)

I hope that I got all your point of views done...
But the bottom line is that the Stardard Rule with not become a option and we will keep the new one in:

-to confussing to add as a option
--to few that want it...the older players are not here to say anything

PS. Why do you think sekretar plays caps now and he would not have before? He was one of the kings of 1v1 deathmatches.
Thorpe wrote:
I just saw this in chat:
 "I'll join this, but I won't join any more adjacent games you make. Not before they implement that new cards rule, at least."
Guess who said this? If you said this do not tell, or if you seen the chat.
lifeinpixels wrote:
Whether or not that was said by an "important" player, I think it's important that the site agrees to the change and that the details are finalized first. That statement was not enough to warrant the change itself. Sometimes players might not like certain modes (such as adjacent caps) with the current cards rules, but they might like other modes (like same time unlimited caps) with the current rules. So we shouldn't jump to make any quick changes just yet.
Thorpe wrote:
You call this quick? Trust me I knew this was no going to be quick and I did not say who or if they were a "important" player...lol. Who says they are "important" player is all in the point of view...as for me, I am the most "importatant" player of all time...when I am in a game...I only really think about how I can win!  I am the most important player then and only then....
Good come back though.
The_Bishop wrote:
I can understand who are asking to not add new options and to have few simple and clear options, but...

Capitals and deathmatch are different. I mean, in capital games it's easier to kill an opponent and it's harder to protect him/her. This is the reason why the rule has different effects on them.

Several capital players are asking to restore the rule back. Since I feel Thorpe is in the right way:
older rule for Capitals, newer for Deathmatch.

By the way I know the decision is hard to take now.
Hoping for the best choice.

P.S. My question is: what was wrong in the old rule??
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Thorpe wrote:
And you were the one who caused this forum toptic and thereby caused the rule change...lol...glad to see you make a comment and is this why you do not play games here?
The_Bishop wrote:
Is it my fault? I want to clarify my position then. I started the topic when I was not very expert in Risk and my task was to ask "how" and "why" that rule. If I asked to do something I'm almost sure I asked to add an option but I never asked to change the rule (I'm not going to check all this topic back).

The reason why I put that question (in my previous message) is to put in evidence that some people dislike the new rule but nobody disliked the old rule. Since I answer to my own question - what was wrong in the old rule? - I think nothing was really wrong but it was a bit illogical to allow a double turn-in with 6 cards and not allow a single turn-in with 4. Apart from that if the rule worked well, even if a bit illogical, I agree to restore it. In the opposite side I think the new rule makes a funny effect and probably most of people do not want to restore it back.

I think Vexer was brave to change it so fastly. I mean, it's just a little rule but it's the "salt of the game" - at least in increasing games. So now after thousands tests maybe things can be reconsidered. I always said that Capital games are a juicy specialty of Dominating12 and it's sad now to hear some of the best capital players of the site which say that it is not good to play here anymore. I can't ignore that.

How to solve the problem without adding a new option? I really don't know.

My personal answer to Thorpe's question - why you do not play games here? - I have been lastly involved in many games: first Italian Risk (which is called Risiko), then Stratego, then Eastern chess (Shogi, Xiangqi and Makruk) then ancient chess (Shatranj) and finally modern chess -> There's a world championship on going, do you know? Game #6 is next to start right now. Well sorry, this is clearly off-topic here! :))
Matty wrote:
@Thorpe, below an answer to one of the points, with history (I slightly changed your post to make it more clear I hope):

Spoiler (click to show)

Please Thorpe, it is not so that "Old players are not allowed to say anything".
But the way you bring your arguments simply do not seem logical to me.

I agree that there the changes in this rule change the way a game is played. But for some reason you seem to exactly not be able to tell me what is changed, and why this has something to do with the new rule.

You say things like that with the new rule people attack too early and make stupid mistakes and don't need training. Sorry, but those two things seem to meen exactly the opposite to me.
The_Bishop wrote:
At the beginning I was happy with the "new rule" then after Joca's intervention I started to reconsider the things, trying to stay neutral. Now I'm definitely on Joca and Thorpe's side.

@Matty - They attack early but this is not a stupid mistake it's just the way to play with the new rule. People are forced to attack because they are pretty sure to not survive to the next round. Joca, Muzuane and Me already said that, so I don't think Thorpe have to explain it again.

Once I liked to play Capitals because that was the only way to play beginners minimizing the risk to lose because of their mistakes. Now if one weakens his Cap just a little bit, then the game is completely over! So it is not possible to play beginners anymore, so it is not possible to teach them anymore.