A thread to track progress in the tool I'm making
  • 66 posts
  • Page 2 of 5
jr502 wrote:
Cool. Thanks. Here's a little suggestion:
- use some sort of progress indicator or spinning wheel thing or whatever after the user clicks "confirm" and is waiting for the game to show up
jr502 wrote:
at the very beginning of game on the visualizer, before the first turn, all the players have the skull-and-crossbones indicating dead. I am guessing this is based on having zero territories or zero armies. Maybe you can change that to only apply after game-start.
jr502 wrote:
God_of_War wrote:
I love watching these on FOG games to see how it happened. Is there a way to slow it down though a little? Thanks and great stuff here.
Hi there!
alunturner wrote:
Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been on this for a little while. @jr502 thanks for linking to those earlier posts.

@God_of_War: I'm going to do that - it was really fast for me to test it and I need to add some control to that. I'll do that soon because it's annoying me that I haven't got around to it yet.

I expect to do some work on it this week so I'll post here as and when features get added.

Alun
alunturner wrote:
Hi all, @jr502 and @God_of_war

Updates:
  • Shows loading indicator after clicking confirm on front page when the app is fetching the game data
  • Added playback speed controller. Can be adjusted by clicking. Can be used during playback or when paused
  • Next turn button now disabled when the play button is pressed

@benmarcp - please could you give me some more details?

Alun
God_of_War wrote:
awesome stuff

Other suggestions...

1. Change the Bright White to Bright Yellow or another color that catches our eyes faster to indicate the moves. The reason for this comment is because everyone already shows white numbers and light white backgrounds.
**** advanced - different highlight colors for different actions.  Reinforcing vs attacking vs occupying

2. Create a "play back 1 turn" feature so that it doesn't go back to "start of game" and you can go back and forth among a few moves.

Anyway, great stuff and the improvements you added are wonderful!!! 
Hi there!
jr502 wrote:
@alunturner
these are great improvements! I like.

Here's one that might be really easy to implement. In the text section above the controls, add player color to the font during that player's turn.
or some other visual/color indication of the start of a player's turn.

This is a very nice tool, thanks!
jr502 wrote:
during the 'place new armies' phase, it looks like what happens is
* country 'circle' is highlighted with the new troop total

what if instead of that, you did a two-step:
* country 'circle' is highlighted (with the white fill) -- to draw eye to the country (and player)
* country troop count is updated in the highlighted circle

I don't know how complex that would be to do.  It seems like this would make it easier to watch and follow the troop placements.

What do you think?

The_Bishop wrote:
I think some improvements can be done, and probably @alunturner knows, but already it's a great tool.
I can easily check what happened in the last round... Thank you! :)

Here the link: https://art-visualiser.netlify.app/

What jr502 suggested makes sense to me. I ask also for a 1-step-back button, which I feel it's the most needed thing at the actual state.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
alunturner wrote:
@The_Bishop yes that's the top of my list too. It seems like a simple thing to add, but I need to restructure a lot of the app to add a one step back functionality.

The good thing is, when I get that done, it will also open up the ability to quickly skip to a round or a particular player in that round, which will make navigating the game substantially easier.

After the ability to step back has been added, I think focus will switch to adding some stats functionality and also improving the visuals (eg drawing arrows to represent attacks etc).

I'll also change the app to use routing so it's possible to send somebody a link to a specific game you want them to watch.

@jr_502 thanks for the suggestions.I'll actually see if I can implement them quickly next week when I get home. The ultimate aim, I think, is to just have a large map with annotations that appear as an overlay to make it clear what's happening, but I agree I think the highlighting could be clearer.

Glad that people are using it and as I said before I'll post messages here as and when I manage to get.updates in.

Alun
The_Bishop wrote:
Ah wait,, it would be nice if it can recognize the capitals in cap' games and know which amount of troops are in each cap' at the beginning of the game. The latter is easy, it's just the number of territories per player divided by 3 (the integer part of it) + 10. The former is more complex... I can provide a text file with a complete database of the capitals if necessary, but the program should have the ability to read it.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein