Ask the staff a question and you'll get an answer
  • 285 posts
  • Page 8 of 19
PeacefulWarrior wrote:
Can someone tell me why you have to "buy" your rank, rather than it automatically increasing. Seems to me it should be automatic in that you earned it by your gameplay!

Thanks, PW
Hoodlum wrote:
points are earned automatic automatically by winning (gameplay). you can only buy rank that you've earned
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Cireon wrote:
1) Where can I see the time clock in speed games?
Same as normal games: the red clock in the bottom of the screen.

2) In a multiplayer speed game, if you take out another player, does the time you have left increase? By how much each time?
The turn timer is reset to the full turn time.

Can someone tell me why you have to "buy" your rank, rather than it automatically increasing. Seems to me it should be automatic in that you earned it by your gameplay!
Because there were people against having this happen. They believe it should be a strategic decision to buy a rank. I think people pay too much attention to that aspect, but I was outnumbered.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
1) in the game chat, in the top right
2) I'm assuming it's a 5 minute live game now - if you have less then 5 minutes left, it should add another 5 minutes to your turn. If you have more then 5 minutes left (maybe you killed 2 players in quick succession), then it should add an 'add time' option instead of just adding 5 minutes now.

Not sure if it adds 5 minutes or 3 minutes for 3 minute live games - same for 7 minute live games. I think it's the amount of minutes the turn lasts.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PeacefulWarrior wrote:
When I am playing 3 minute speed games the red clock at the bottom starts at 30 seconds and winds down to 0. It never reads 3 minutes. Am I missing something here?

PW
Cireon wrote:
When your turn starts, the server sends your computer the time when your turn is supposed to end. In this case, it looks like your computer may be 2:30 minutes ahead of the server time, which means your computer shows as you only having 30 seconds for your turn.

This is not ideal, but luckily we have a page explaining how you can fix this :)
https://dominating12.com/tutorial/systemclock
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
PeacefulWarrior wrote:
A couple if issues gentlemen:

1) I have 80 battle tokens and only 3 active games...but when I try to create a speed game, it says I do not have enough tokens. Kindly explain.

2) The red digital clock never changes fro 00:00. I can never tell how much time I have left to play. Especially unhelpful in speed games. Can we do something about this?

TY, PW
Cireon wrote:
Regarding 1:
As a non-paying member, you can only play up to three live games (or speed games as you call them) per day, and two additional two player games since they are relatively short. We do this because live games take most of our server resources, so we have to limit the number non-paying members can play to make sure we can afford the server. Premium members get unlimited live games a day.

Regarding 2:
This is answered in my post #111 just above. You'll need to synchronise your system clock to make sure your time is in sync with our server.
PeacefulWarrior wrote:
Cireon,

Thank you for your help with the questions I had. I have reset my computer clock and will see if this rectifies the problem.

I also recently purchased the rank I currently have (although, to me this seems rather silly).Looking at the store it now appears I will have to save up another 1000 tokens just to buy the next rank. Is this correct?

TY.

PeacefulWarrior
PeacefulWarrior wrote:
Greetings,

Will someone kindly explain how I may create games with rating restrictions so that only players who have the right rating can join.

TY,

PeacefulWarrior
Virtuosity98 wrote:
PeacefulWarrior
Cireon,

Thank you for your help with the questions I had. I have reset my computer clock and will see if this rectifies the problem.

I also recently purchased the rank I currently have (although, to me this seems rather silly).Looking at the store it now appears I will have to save up another 1000 tokens just to buy the next rank. Is this correct?

TY.

PeacefulWarrior

Yes, you'll need another 1000 tokens to buy the next rank. You get tokens by playing games and winning tournaments.

PeacefulWarrior
Greetings,

Will someone kindly explain how I may create games with rating restrictions so that only players who have the right rating can join.

TY,

PeacefulWarrior

I believe that that is a feature reserved for premium members. https://dominating12.com/account/premium

It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

PeacefulWarrior wrote:
I am a premium member!

If I had known I had to again gain another 1000 tokens to "buy" the next rank.....I would have waited to buy a rank. This policy also seems unfair relative to a player's progress.

Will someone also explain the formula by which you gain or lose points when a game is completed. I have not seen this information anywhere.
Cireon wrote:
PeacefulWarrior
I am a premium member!

The rating limitation settings should be under advanced settings on the create game page.

PeacefulWarrior
If I had known I had to again gain another 1000 tokens to "buy" the next rank.....I would have waited to buy a rank. This policy also seems unfair relative to a player's progress.

I think this model was chosen to make sure that rank both experience and a good win ratio. There has been discussion of removing the token cost from ranks, but that didn't get a lot of support, so it's kinda the way it is right now because there hasn't been a solution that the majority of people likes.

PeacefulWarrior
Will someone also explain the formula by which you gain or lose points when a game is completed. I have not seen this information anywhere.

I don't think the exact formula is public information, but in essence it comes down to this: if you are in a game where everybody has the exact same battle rating, everybody that doesn't win loses a fixed amount of rating (I think it's twenty points). The winner takes it all. The exact number changes. If you lost from somebody with a higher rating, you lose less points, if you lose from somebody with a lower rating, you lose more points. In team games, the winning points are determined based on average rating of the winning team, and the winning points equally spread over team members.
Edit: It's public now, posted here
PeacefulWarrior wrote:
Hi Cireon,

The points needed to buy the Sergeant Major rank is 850. The next rank (Warrant Officer) requires 1000 pts. I would have thought once you bought the Sergeant Major rank....you would only need another 150 pts (difference between 1000 & 850) to buy the next rank. This make much more sense than having to get all the way back up to 1000 pts to buy the next rank. Don't you agree?

TY,

PW
Cireon wrote:
There isn't really one type of "points" on Dominating 12. We have two things:

Rating is awarded to winners of games. This tells you how good you are compared to the rest of the players on Dominating 12.
Battle Tokens are awarded after every game, win or loss. This is the currency with which you buy new things. You can use it to buy game types, bypass daily game restrictions if you are not a premium member, and indeed buy ranks.

To buy a rank, you first need to obtain the required rating. For Sergeant Major, the required rating is 1850. You then also need to buy the rating with battle tokens (850 in this case) for you to be able to start displaying it. The battle tokens will be subtracted, but you will never lose access to that rank. Your rating will remain unchanged, but when your rating drops below the rating required for a rank, you will not be able to show it until you reach the rating again.

Battle tokens are awarded after every game. 20 if you don't miss any turns; 5 less for every turn that you miss (never less than 0 though). Tokens are also rewarded for referring others to this website, or by winning tournaments.