Pairs Tournaments (hosted by Hoodlum)
  • 450 posts
  • Page 16 of 30
Hoodlum wrote:
Alright, due to unavailability of some teams, the tournament is looking like this, but not yet confirmed. see spoiler

example (click to show)

Even teams with just one win in the series will be playing in the first tournament of champions!

A new team will also be formed from individuals with success in multiple teams (where their ex partners are playing on other teams), axobongo & robben. I know as individuals, they like playing in these tournaments so maybe they can for the final spot.

The teams are seeded so the stronger teams (most winningest) and tournament champions are on opposite sides of the bracket, and will verse the least winning teams.

Maps will be from the previous series.

World Classic Knockout Round 1
GB & Ireland Knockout Round 2
New Zealand Semi Final Round
Europe Finals

Will +8 streak HutTrain continue to be undefeated? will they play in this tournament? Could underdogs Axobongo & Robben be crowned the new D12 TOC champions?? Make your bets! Who will be the ONE! or two...
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I bet for Cheekosity.

ok, maybe not :)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Axobongo wrote:
will this be advanced cards? will there ever be a tourney with advanced cards? afterall, we are all pro's, no need to worry about noobish psychosis
Hoodlum wrote:
this tournament isn't advanced cards, it's pretty standard settings for the first series of tournaments and 1st T.O.C tournament. Your all getting familiar with the basic idea of tournaments, soon enuff you'll all know which games to go to next and letting the tournament director know when games are finished, and stuff, overall making it easier for (me) to organize it without having to do much more explanations, and follow ups and stuff. Different ideas can soon be introduced..such as settings, size of the tournament, elimination (best outta #? games) etc. all feed back for future tournaments is welcomed! thanks for your participation
killrick wrote:
ballanced dice and best of 5 make for a more skill based winner
so... wheres the war room?are we set up yet??who do i kill first??
Matty wrote:
My bit of feedback:
I think the best way to play teamgames is 1 team versus another. Not 3 teams against eachother (3 teams or 3 player free-for-all's tend to be a bit unfair sometimes), and 2v2v2v2 is huge. However, this still sets you in the 1 vs 1 situation (though now not 1 player but 1 team) and that's always dependend on a lot of luck.

Killrick and I have played pretty bad in these tournaments. The first one we lost was against knighty knight and they simply played well. So did we, I know I made 1 mistake somewhere, but that was it.
The second tourney we lost right away, even though we played better then our opponents. They simply had too much luck.

In our best of five series we also had some lucky games, but overall it was a lot more fair, and there was a lot more skill involved. I think the main difference was not 1 game but a best of 5 and balanced dice.

Five games takes a lot of time, so you might want to try a best of 3 - and you can play the first two games consecutively at the same time if you like and only have a third game if the score is even.

I also like advanced cards (as always), but these are less important in a 1v1 or 2v2 setting.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Antonis_xania wrote:
I think Hood has done excellent job with the tournament and that there should be no changes.

I also prefer advanced cards, but in a team game its a huge part of the strategy to plan killng a player and at the same time surviving his teamate because you dont have 5 cards to trade. A good team can use this to win the game even if they had bad luck until that moment

As for the best of 3 or 5 i totally disagree, the tournaments would take much longer to finish and its far better to make 2 or 3 tournaments instead of 1 with best of 3, this way more teams can participate amd its less boring playing new teams. As for the skill i agree that there is much luck involved but in a series of tournaments good teams will prevail. It's not coincidence that hutrain have 8/8 wins and husk and deep are in the top of the list

As for the balanced dice i think its even worse than normal but that is another story...
Hoodlum wrote:
thanks antonis, i agree with those points. the tournament will take too long if there were a series of games. some of these tournaments already go long enough just playing one game. Perhaps there will be one in the future though. In these tournaments it's good to see new teams and team development happening. a series of 4 tournaments can pretty much sum up the cream of the crop, as this one has. Winners HutTrain, DOMINATION_INC, and DFA are long established partners, and Knighty Knight have played for over a decade of random partners on another site where they have likely teamed up on 100's of occasions. None of the winners are by fluke.

this tournament is set to go, just awaiting an answer from undefeated team HutTrain
HammerTime wrote:
I agree Antonis..Hood has run a great tourney. I have enjoyed every game.

I also like the idea of 3-5 games for future tourney ,but i also think if u use the bigger maps like Texas,the first players moves wont be as game deciding as often as it can be on the small maps.

But i knew that coming into this tourney and have no complaints.

This tourney was my first real effort into teams,had only played a few prior to this.. Huge teams fan now ;)

Thank you for all your effort and time Hoodlum.
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
Antonis_xania wrote:
Matty's idea could work in a different kind of tournament like a championship.

Find 10 teams that are regulary players, and make a long tournament where every team plays with each other in 2 games, one "home" game where you choose map and dice (or only map), and one "away" where the other team choose the map.
This way every team plays each other twice.

It will be harder to organize and if someone wants to do it it should be a different topic in the forum so that Hood's tournament stays as it is and more new teams have a chance to know team games ( or Hood could make that too)

Sygmassacre wrote:
Bigger maps aren't the way to go because the starting player has so many more troops to place that the other team is scrambling from the start
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
Hoodlum wrote:
After some discussion, HutTrain have declined to play in this tourney, proposing to send some other players from their self proclaimed 'elite' crew to play in their stead, which I have declined as it isn't within the rules and they can just join the regular tournaments and earn their spot as HutTrain had. The substitution rule was available to them, where as long as one of the original team played in each round, they could use it, but there was no agreement. I suppose they (HutTrain) can call themselves elite since they are undefeated. They would like to bow out and retire undefeated I guess. Sorry for the delay, it just would have been ideal that HutTrain would join this tournament. Back to the drawing board.
So I have opted to give the following players (Iparsona,nickdabubble,clarke,spartakus,blackshirts) an opportunity to form as a wild card entry into this T.O.C tournament since they have won as individuals in a team before, are currently active, and meet the reputation score entry. I've sent them a message and will take the first two to agree. Hopefully an answer soon, and we can get this underway.

New seeding for this tournament is as follows. (Most winning teams will square off against least winning teams in round one)

1.Death From Above

2.DOMINATION INC

3.Knighty Knigt

4.GrandMasters
4.Alpha Dogs

6.Transmogrifiers
6.The HammerMachine

8.Cheekosity
8.MadMen
8.The Mexicans
8.-L183R7Y-

12.killumall
12.DominEErs
12.MechMasters

15.~AxobongoRobben~ Wild Card (1)
15.Wild Card    Wild Card (2)

Tournament Bracket (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
Half of the teams have had their game invites. i think i invited the higher seeds first so they get colour preference. sorry if i made a mistake here. please do no leave the game once entered so the join order is correct. if you have entered the game and decided you want to change colour, send me a message. In the past four tournaments at least one game was broken (first player joins, then decides to leave the game to change colour or something) as it requires me to change links and adjust record keeping stuff in the game layout,which can be a bit annoying. you know who you are! :)