Clock resets after a kill
  • 73 posts
  • Page 5 of 5
Hoodlum wrote:
The_Bishop - May 12, 08:21 AM
Not a bad idea 4960, who runs out of time skips the card, it sounds logical, both for same-time and consecutive games.

agree, good idea.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
It would be good if the program could detect if someone has lost connection from their IP and exclude them from this. The poor sole whose Internet connection decided to hiccup, has to reboot their modem/hub in time for the next round.
If they lost their ability to finish their move and also lost the card they just earned, that would be a lose - lose for them.
I don't see any exploitation of this, as the player would have to disconnect their own modem in order to simulate this, for no reward nor advantage and run the risk of missing the next round and in ST being killed.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I'm not sure if it's legal to track IP's like that. We can see when you clicked on some links for the last time (But we aren't), but even then, is it always bad to run out of time?

I mean, not getting a card can lose you the game easily.
(Not only that, it can even become strategy: be able to take a territory but not getting a card).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
My last post was a suggestion & observation for the "miss a card" suggestion.

However, I agree with Matty.
There is no need for punishment for not ending your turn. Every round has a pre-set time, use it all or don't, but it only allows that much time.

Am I to understand that you can still Add Time in ST Games?

If so, then we still have the same situation where a player can isolate the clock to their self after others have ended their turn, BUT if there is no punishment for timing out, everyone will be included in Added Time every round and the rounds would be no more than the pre-set timer (no need to remove the Add Time from ST games). If all players knew about this now, the Same Time games would no longer be point generators and would become a strategic & fun game.

Please be careful about requests for new alternatives, Same Time players will now be looking for a new exploitable advantage.

Now that there are no end turn glitches, I might well try ST games, I always liked the concept, but not the glitches.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
But when do you stop attacking and start to fortify (lets say with unlimited fortification)?

You can't go back there, if someone adds time after you fortified something you still can't attack, only move troops out (or in) the way.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Absolutely right, but now that it's a strategic game again, your opponent would have to start to fortify against your troop building. That could be real fun in unlimited where you could keep moving them (red hearings/decoys).
123playcard wrote:
How about who runs out of time, will start 10 seconds later then everyone else when the Start button is pressed

So the penalty is that they may lose a region bonus (which they likely get in the last second in the previous round) if someone decide to break it
aeronautic wrote:
Again, I would say, play it like it is for a while and do without any penalties or "advantages".

If someone got a bonus, they still get the bonus troops in the next round whether or not you break it and they'll likely have more troops than you to take it back again or just attack you somewhere else while you focus your reinforcements on breaking their bonus. That can be exploited in 2p games, they can hold you from starting while planning, then start with a 10 second head start.

When you make changes to something, it would be bad to make further changes before giving some time to wait for possible problems.
Vexer wrote:
It shouldn't be a 10 second wait, just a wait until another player clicks begin turn, just like it would be if you were the last one to end your turn instead of letting the timer run out. You can still get your bonus as long as you are paying attention and click begin turn before another player places and attacks.
123playcard wrote:
Aero, if you don't start your turn (too slow or waiting for others trading cards first so that you can get a higher trading in), you will lose the region bonus if you someone breaks your region

That is one of the key of same time
Vexer wrote:
123playcard - May 12, 05:48 PM
Aero, if you don't start your turn (too slow or waiting for others trading cards first so that you can get a higher trading in), you will lose the region bonus if you someone breaks your region

That is one of the key of same time

wow, i never realized the implications of this in same time games. I don't think this is right. You should get the troops when you click begin turn and not after you turn in cards or skip turning in cards.
Vexer wrote:
I've put some thought into same time games the last couple days. I think I was over complicating things before when trying to figure out how to remove the need for starting or ending your turn.

Clicking begin turn is still needed in same time games because that is the easiest way to determine if you missed your turn and it forces you to watch the game instead of flipping between tabs because if you don't begin your turn promptly another player can break your region before you get your reinforcements. I think this is an interesting part of the game and removing the begin turn button would eliminate it. So it's going to stay.

But I propose that ending your turn should be optional for live games and there shouldn't be a waiting period for the last player who finished their turn. (Yes, I am flip-flopping my stance on this).

The waiting period was built into same time games before live games existed. In long term games it makes sense that they should have to wait for another player to start their turn (max half of the turn time) because it gives them too great of an advantage. They can kill another player before that player even knows the next round has started, before that player is able to place their reinforcements. But in live games everyone is there and can place troops at the same time.

So if there is no waiting period then ending your turn becomes optional. If it's safe to end your turn then you can and if everyone else does the same then the next round will start sooner. But if another player hasn't ended their turn then you don't have to end yours either.

With this change I think we can also disable the add time button for same time live games. If you need time to make plans or use the bathroom then just let the timer run down all the way instead of ending your turn. There should be enough time to make all your moves in the next round if you already made some plans in the previous round. The timer will still reset after a kill to make sure you have enough time to carry out your plans. If you find though, that this is not enough time then you can choose a longer turn time for the next game. I am also working on a increasing turn time option that will give longer turns later in the game which I think will match well with same time games.

Making this change will be quite easy to code so we are going to try it out and get feedback before we decide.
Axobongo wrote:
i have learned i am not alone in thinking there needs to be more 'add time's' , (i think in general and universally) i have no opinion on durations. But i do agree that the more popular 3 min games need it, especially on larger maps,, or,, larger maps may be where its more needed.

i think its good to remember that a turn time limit is an online based invention, and not really an original concept in Risk. And those desiring more time are mostly actively playing, not adding out of malice. And D12 now has alot of tools in play to deal with the people of malice and abuse.

added time options -could - even have add options,,a choice of add 2 minutes,, or 5?

when/if games wind down to 2 players who are fairly evenly matched ( esp.capped) it sometimes means more moves are needed.

add time options could appear when game is down to 2? who knows? but this option could be more optimized i think,,

it probably hurts most the player making a comeback after being disadvantaged by a giant,, and the job is to eat the giants territories,, ( which could happen early enough that everyone only has but 1 add time, too)

i rarely need a full 5 minutes extra when i click it,
i do prefer setting up 5 min games,, but its widely accepted that its harder to fill a 5 min game.

The big map enthusiasts will be grateful if some changes occur

Axobongo is online.