Clock resets after a kill
  • 73 posts
  • Page 1 of 5
supiachao wrote:
I am not sure if this only bother me alone or there are others that feel the same. Every time when I run out of time for a kill I add time for the move, says now the clock is at 5:30 left then after I killed the player the clock resets to 3:00 and count down again.

Why can't it be programmed to add 3 minutes to the initial time so that an add time won't be sees as a minus time? For many games I thought I have time left then got shocked by the 15 sec knock and need to make a move fast then messed up my game.

I know this is not a good thing to blame on but is there anything we can do about this?
Matty wrote:
You have a good point. Not sure why it's not made that way.
Well, it was made before there was an add timer, that's probably why. I'll see if I can change it somehow, but no time today.

For now, don't add time unless you have to I guess.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
supiachao wrote:
Thanks for your reply, no need to rush to make the changes. Take your time (but hopefully not too long)

I am kinda surprised no one address this problem before.

Thank you.
Vexer wrote:
The reason why I made it reset the clock instead of add time was to keep the game moving along. If it added 3 minutes for each kill and you kill 3 players you could end up with too much extra time and delay the game. The timer is there to force you to think fast and keep the game moving at a good pace.

I actually didn't realize what would happen if you add time right before killing the first player because I always do it the other way around to maximize the amount of time I get.

I will fix it to check and see if the time left is greater than the turn time and then add the turn time instead of doing a reset up to a maximum of 5 minutes plus the turn time. If the time left is less than the turn time then it will get reset to the turn time. This means don't use two add time buttons in a row and then kill a player because the timer will get set to 5 minutes + the turn time. Add time uses are intended to be be used one at a time as needed.
supiachao wrote:
It is very hard think properly (as for me) especially when I hear the 15 sec knocking.

That is a very good idea, so it won't seems like I wasted an add time. Looking forward for the changes. Thanks.
aeronautic wrote:
This is a good update. Much better for the game, thanks Vexer.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
BETA wrote:
thanks Vexer, and supiacho
someone finally put thoughts to text!
supiachao wrote:
Vexer - May 2, 02:55 AM
I will fix it to check and see if the time left is greater than the turn time and then add the turn time instead of doing a reset up to a maximum of 5 minutes plus the turn time. If the time left is less than the turn time then it will get reset to the turn time. This means don't use two add time buttons in a row and then kill a player because the timer will get set to 5 minutes + the turn time. Add time uses are intended to be be used one at a time as needed.

Does this means that the max time we get after a kill will be 5 minutes, instead of getting over 5 minutes?

I checked it, and it added the turn in time to the clock so we will have like about 7 minutes after a kill, is that how you intended it to be?
Matty wrote:
Two cases:
1. You have not added any time: the timer will be reset to the turn time (say, 3 minutes).
2. You have added time (say you have in total 4 minutes left of the extra 5 minutes (and 3 minutes from the turn time) you added).

Now it will add the turn time + the time you had left (4 minutes), which is in total 3+4=7 minutes.

The maximum is 3+5 minutes, so you will have 7 minutes left, so no time lost.

Now lets consider a third case:
You have added extra time twice, lets say you have 7 minutes left after the kill. Then you will get another 3 minutes extra, so that is 3+7=10 minutes. The maximum is 3+5=8, so you will have 8 minutes time left. Which means you did lose some of your extra timer (or did not gain maximum extra time).

So only if you add extra time multiple times after each other, then you will lose some of your extra time.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
TP_knighty wrote:
i will add this but im nnot sure of it if its what i have seen . i just played a same time and i added time and make another kill bassically i had so much time that things got too easy , as i said im not sure someone else added time or this is jsut the new feature but if its the new one that i have to complain but things are just too easy with so much time i prefer the old version. u knew that time will be reseted to 3minutes so u used the added time time to think things over which especially for same time it was more rush, the game i just played was just how should i put it way way way lol too easy . there is no word to put how much easier it was with this new adding time. :C

i thinkk that if u guys keep the new version adding time than at least please reconsider giving back to what it was for same time if that is possible its more of a rush i just had so much time on hands madethe game too easy to win

thx for everything and sorry for bothering :P
aeronautic wrote:
I see what you mean, you add time in the turn before and when you start the new turn, you get 5 Minutes + 3 for the turn without anyone seeing that you won't time out!
Sounds like it is a new exploitable strategy for same time players!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
supiachao wrote:
Thanks Matty for the explanation.

In same time game, people are going to exploit and abuse the timer advantage, if they get so much time. Can the changes be made for consec game only?

3 minutes turn in same time game especially multiple players is like wait for newbies to make their move fast first then make your move last 30 sec, add time when there is 3 sec left on the clock, so you can end up with an extra turn (hopefully, solely for yourself).

The 5+3minutes will be abused for some consec game move, like chained killing in sametime game, because now said player get so much extra time left he can carefully plan for his next kill during the extra time.
p/s: I think this sort of killing in same time game (especially chained) is a cheap way to play the game, giving them so much time to play alone on the st game is unfair for other players in the game, especially newbies, we all remember that newbie moment in st game, where more experienced players used time to their advantage, and slowly everyone is shaped to adapt to that kind of gameplay.

Can I suggest in same time game, add time must be added at least 30 sec before the turn ends? So, everyone gets a fair shot, instead of someone getting a solo time and others just need to stare at the screen and be 'entertained' by his/her performance.

Many same time newbie like myself and those you can see complaining at lobby chat feel very frustrated and helpless when a more experienced player exploit the game that way. I have more respect to those players that play a fair game for everyone than those that need to take advantage of the add time button to help win the game in their field.
Vexer wrote:
Should add time be allowed at all in sametime games?

@aero, players should be able to see the timer change. Are you saying they can't? Have you verified this since the last update?