• 50 posts
  • Page 2 of 4
Vexer wrote:
I don't do this to provide charity for the community. My goal is to have a successful site with all the game options that other sites got wrong or didn't think of. That is the game beyond the game. I win when I build this site to 2000+ active members. Then I will probably be content to just play the game and not mess with things. But the moves I make are calculated to increase the number of active members. So none of your arguments against the moves I make matter as long as the moves I make increase the number of active players. Criticize all you want but the results don't lie. The fact is that sekretar's behavior drove people from the site.

This is not a democracy, this is business.

I'm glad you are having fun pretending that this site is something that it is not and I'm glad your having fun practicing your anti-authority agenda but you fail in all your arguments because your premise that the site is or should be a democracy is false.
Diddly wrote:
I didn't see an exact answer to my questions but what I'm gathering from this response is this, I make the rules, no one needs to have input regarding them. Also, I choose which words are allowed, if it offends me then it offends the "community". Got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Vexer wrote:
wow, did you even read what I wrote?

you are getting this "community" quote from paddlin's post not mine. I never said anything about the community. Do I have to spell it out for you? It's not a matter of words it's about making moves that lead to more active users. Sekretar was driving players from the site with his chat. I block his chat and less players are driven from the site. Is this really that hard for you to understand?

"if it offends me then it offends the "community""

where are you getting that from. It's the exact opposite. If it offends the community then that means more players will leave so I block it. Has nothing to do with what I find offensive. Why would I find offense in anything sekretar says? I know sekretar, we message all the time. I know his personality. He thinks he's being funny and in his culture those words are funny, not offensive.

Maybe you should think a little longer before replying. You really messed up that last post.
Paddlin wrote:
"The majority of the site does not want to be verbally abused when they are trying to have fun." -Vexer

I assumed by "majority of the site" you meant people. People who group together are considered, by some, to be a part of a community.

I don't recall saying this website was a democracy. If it is a business, and you were, say, the CEO, I think you would have been fired already because your profit margins are not doing well. 

I think password protected games are enough of a solution to the chat issues. If someone is not invited to a password protected game, and then this individual makes it his/her sole purpose to harass players, I could see why you would want to block the chat. Otherwise, we can all self-regulate now. If I don't want to play someone, I just put a password on the game. 

I am supplying reasons for allowing Sekretar to chat. I think blocking his chat abilities was an overreaction. I don't have control. I just have reasons.  

Vexer wrote:
who would fire the CEO, is this a publicly traded company with a board of directors? And you say that as if this was my full time job. I am doing a good job considering that I am a volunteer squeezing out effort in my spare time.

Your expectations are unrealistic. The truth is that you would be giving crap to anyone in this position no matter how good or bad of a job they were doing or no matter what actions they did or did not take. It's called anti-establishmentarianism. Plus the fact that you find entertainment in causing grief for others. It's disgusting.
Thorpe wrote:
Let us look at this as what the founder of the site set up as the standards for this site,(Not Vexer) but 4myGod, these are rules that was placed in before Tec and Vexer took over. Since it was his game, his site, as in any business, he made the rules we just need to follow those rules.

As for Seki and his potty mouth...I even warned him...And I can put up with a lot. But he went out of his way to cause a fight with another player and made rude comments in every game that the player was playing in. I do not know about the rest of you but I call it harassment. If that was done in real life, with the words he used, you would have to call the police.
I disagree with some rules that might be put into effect, and I let Vexer and Fendi know, but The Major Basic Rules need to be enforced and this was not done off of the cuff or because of a game.
If Seki has a problem with his chat ban then seki needs to talk to Vexer and Fendi for they are the ones who have the control on that ban.
Do you hear raffico77 complaining?
As for those other sites allowing that...well that is them and I will not play on those sites. And really it takes a bigger person to control themselves and it is sometimes harder not to take things personal.
And for those grey areas who should enforce those rules? Or should we have no rules? 
I have had some big disagreements with Vexer before but when he was wrong he said he was wrong and took steps to correct his mistakes or made me understand why my thinking was wrong.

I do like seki and he is one of my favorites here on this site and I enjoy playing him...but if we lose him cause he can not watch his mouth then...hate to see him go, but the rules are rules...and harassment is harassment, no matter who enforces them.

After the list Vexer gave... who would you say should be banned? No-one? If you truly think that seki should not have his chat banned then maybe you need a different site or please feel free to form your own but please never, ever I mean NEVER invite me!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Glanru wrote:
Keep in mind that some of the players on the site are merely children. This isn't an 18+ environment, you can't expect everyone to just "man" up and take bad language. Nothing is stopping you from making or paying for your own game website where you make the rules and set the environment.

The rules are there, warnings are given for violations, and chat bans occur when the warnings aren't adhered to. This doesn't sound like any dictatorship I've ever heard of. Second chances, and warnings? That's just crazy talk.

I recommend a few things (if the shoe fits, wear it):

1) Go read the rules now: post your opinion on any changes you think would be beneficial to the site. I don't mean just posting things because you want things your way.

2) Get off the dictatorship band wagon. Besides my leadership responsibility where I received a pay check, I've also had admin and admin like positions similar to that which Vexer has now. I've seen people try to handle things "democratically" and it actually leads to more issues and conflicts than a hierarchy. Unless you want this site to go down the drain, use positive criticism to suggest realistic change to better the site and stop the nitpicking of every admin decision.
Paddlin wrote:
Where was grief caused? Where was I entertained by this? 

I have provided reasons for why Sekretar should not have his chat banned. I have also provided an alternative solution. In other threads, I have challenged the assumptions behind the rules associated with foul language. 

The general response has been: Don't question what we are doing. This has taken various forms.

1) It takes time from Vexer's admin duties
2) I(admin) decided it benefits: a. the community; b. business
3) It was an established rule by 4mygod
4) I've had admin positions where handling things "democratically" doesn't work. 

It has also been alleged that I have a personal problem on various levels: (1) causing grief and taking satisfaction; (2) anti-authoritarianism; and (3) anti-disestablishmentism. (ad hominem attacks).

These are strategies that have been employed to ensure that people like Noxon, Diddly, and myself will not critically contest some of the decisions that have been administered here on the site. Which, ultimately, is just a gaming community.

I personally have an issue with some of Sekretar's chat. Also, I have refused to play Sekretar for months at a time. Part of me finds it funny that he cannot chat now.

That said, I have tried to put those things aside and support Noxon's claim that Sekretar deserves to chat. 

I have supplied reasons, provided alternatives, and broke down unrelated claims that I detailed out in the beginning of this post. 

That said, my goal has not been to undermine the time that Vexer has placed in the site. I personally find this valuable and have commented in other arenas on how valuable his work is. However, when his time is used as an excuse to never be questioned, then people are no longer working in the realm of supplying reasons. 

If you think the reasons I have supplied are inadequate, then focus on those. My initial response was regarding the arbitrary nature of a rule regarding foul language. I concur with Diddly that no one has properly established what makes something offensive. 

If you aren't interested in what community members say, then why supply reasons at all? In fact, why respond with anything other than: This is our site and our decisions. If you want to be involved, apply for an admin position so that you can discuss these issues. If you have a formal complaint, you can submit a letter to the top administrator.

I find value in contesting ideas. (Thorpe clearly doesn't). I am also aware that this is Teck's site. That without people, it would be nothing.
Paddlin wrote:
Forgot to add the first attack: "Paddlin, you might be perfectly happy being constantly verbally abused, in fact you probably thrive in it and think it's fun but you are abnormal." 

Which was the first response to me calling into question the nature of the rule regarding foul language. 
Vexer wrote:
Your use of the word arbitrary is wrong and it's anti-establishmentarianism not anti-disestablishmentism WORD MAN.

Thorpe wrote:
Why do you assume things about me or attack my option,
I find value in contesting ideas. (Thorpe clearly doesn't)... Paddlin? I have contested things all the time with Vexer and I have said this. Did I not use big enough words for you to understand?
 So I will copy the words again as in what I said ...just in case you forgot how to read simple words let me know and I will ask Nana to write them for me....

I have had some big disagreements with Vexer before but when he was wrong he said he was wrong and took steps to correct his mistakes or made me understand why my thinking was wrong.

In real simple terms I contest what Vexer, Fendi, Holt and some of the other staff suggest on some things and I will not say what those things are ...cause they have been handled. But they just do not just get done cause Vexer says so. If that was the case then why have a staff?  You complain about this site having to many staff members, but who else can keep this site on track...you? I wonder what this site would be like if you were given the chance to be the final say. %^$#%$%^ crazy I would think and why do you attack members options?

1) It takes time from Vexer's admin duties
2) I(admin) decided it benefits: a. the community; b. business
3) It was an established rule by 4mygod
4) I've had admin positions where handling things "democratically" doesn't work.

I have found that if there are many people complaining on how I say things; then either it is myself that is wrong or they all are...mmm, must give pause...

Let me address your points in your attacks:

1) It takes time from Vexer's admin duties =

[*]Vexer gave you a list, even when he did not have to, so really why are you wasting his time with this?

2) I(admin) decided it benefits: a. the community; b. business =

[*]You put the I(admin)
[*]I(Non-Admin... just map maker) have complained about seki's chat, cause players have complained to me about it also and this has not been just this month and I know of at least 4 players that he ran off because of his chat.
[*]If you have numerous complaints then as a admin you need to do something for the site ergo: members...players...community...business...or (YOU FILL THIS IN)
[*]One of the proof is membership numbers and how many live games are going on... from before with one Admin...till now,with how many Paddlin? Numbers do not lie...people do.
3) It was an established rule by 4mygod=
[*]It would be like Telling me that I should change what I did and do at my restaurant and sit there and complain that I set it up the way I did...Did you help in anyway? Just thinking you being there is such a blessing that it helped my business, or just complain to me how I am running it...I have kicked people out for less and I have had it since 2006...mmm did you want to buy my place? 

4) I've had admin positions where handling things "democratically" doesn't work.=
[*]I think you should know this one Paddlin. As in the softball team I coached with you on it...the first year we played it "democratically" and won one game! The next year I said you will do as I say or just leave cause I want a winning team and they only reason that we did not win was cause I was not laying down the rules...I did and you walked out on the first practice. You did come back later...after you cooled down. What was the second season like with almost the same players? Just in case ...we lost one game, and that was a forfeit. We won all the rest and got a trophy for being the champs...mmm ...must give pause

So...
Good luck in your thinking[*]

95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Pntbttr wrote:
I personally know two eight year olds on this site...I would prefer if there was no language or insults.
-NoXoN- wrote:
Sekretar constantly verbally abused every player he played with

Yous said so and i understand it very good. You have NO FACTS for what you said.
 Stop playing.

Pntbttr this is off topic. I never said that Vexer banned him cause i didn't know who did it. Is Vexer who was talking about facts and in the end he couldn't show facts that i ask for and now he change his words.
Thorpe wrote:
The question is not what Vexer said...it is why the...staff...Admin...players...community members..etc...wanted something done. The "Chat Ban" was put in effect before the "password protected games", but now you...Paddlin...-NoXoN-... and No One Else want the punishment to be different. 

Come on guys quit it! This is a form of harassment.

"Yous said so and i understand it very good. You have NO FACTS for what you said."
I will ask what would you have done? -NoXoN- please read the list that Vexer gave because I will not repeat it here, what more facts do you need?

The best way this can be handled is seki should have stopped when warned almost a year ago. He was given his chat back at least two times and turned around and did it again! Dumb! It seems he does not care so why do you? He got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and Fendi likes her cookies!

Again...what would you have done?