Have a cool idea? Suggest it here!
  • 874 posts
  • Page 59 of 59
Hoodlum wrote:
map suggestion by @bilsi
london postcodes (click to show)
Hoodlum is online.
Pntbttr wrote:
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've regularly played risk here or contributed to map creation. I would like to get back into this in the little free time that I have, however, any map creation I do will take significantly longer now that I have more responsibilities in life and I can't guarantee anything. I've also barely touched any image editing software since I stopped making maps over a decade ago so any graphic design skills I may have had are going to be rusty.

If I get back into map creation, I would first like to recreate and improve the maps I've worked on in the past. I'm posting here because I want input on what needs or doesn't need improvement and what that process would look like. For instance, if I dramatically alter the gameplay of a map or even change the scope enough that the map requires a different name would that be okay? If I want to start improving these maps do I need others to express interest first and should I open new threads or use the old threads?

The three maps I'm most interested in improving are the Dominican Republic, Central America, and Eastern Asia.

For the Dominican Republic, I want to at least make some name changes and improve the aesthetics. For instance, it looks like I based the region names on the development regions established in 2004, but some of the region names are incorrect. The green region should probably be called Valdesia and the brown region should be called Ozama or maybe even Higuamo. I was also considering adding impassibles and possibly doing the whole island of Hispaniola.

It doesn't look like the Central America map has gotten much play and it has a lot of overlap with the West Indies map. I was considering focusing in on the seven countries that are typically included in the definition of the region and removing Mexico, Cuba, and Jamaica. Alternatively, I could focus on a different time period and convert it into a map of the Federal Republic of Central America from 1823 to 1839.

The Eastern Asia map has a lot of overlap with the Asia map. I also do not like the over saturated colors or the use of partial countries as territories (i.e. S. Russia, E. Tajikistan, N. Pakistan). I think I would narrow the scope of the map to the typical definition of East Asia, which would include China, Korea, Japan, Mongolia, and Taiwan. I would want to use the borders and names of real provinces for any divisions of the remaining countries.