Have a cool idea? Suggest it here!
  • 870 posts
  • Page 53 of 58
The_Bishop wrote:
Welcome aboard IsolatedBadger! That is, welcome to the forum.

It could be a good idea yours, not entirely original to be honest as something similar (i.e. based on a central territory with a large bonus) had already been proposed. Unfortunately, neutral territories are randomly assigned in each map, so I'm sorry but your project cannot be done in the way you propose it.

In terms of popularity, a standard game-play generally wins over a special one (assuming there is a standard) and maps that represent real locations are generally more successful than maps that represent fictional locations. So our general policy in creating new maps differs enough from what you propose, but every idea has its value and it is respected.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Virtuosity98 wrote:
If I have understood correctly, I think the unique part of the idea was not merely to have a central region with a high bonus, but to have a central region with a significantly overly-inflated bonus. That way, there is huge incentive for aggressive play to get that region. I don't think we have any map yet that has an unfairly-high region bonus to encourage fighting for it - unless you count World Classic of course! ^^:P
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Cireon wrote:
People gonna be angry about unfair drops on this one...
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Cireon
People gonna be angry about unfair drops on this one...
Yeah, we'd really have to do something about the first turn in this one.

Other then that, it seems like a fun idea.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
I had missed the "Dragon Lake" in Missouri proposed by ProblemChild. Wow, that's awesome!

It certainly could be a good location for a game map. I was thinking about 2 possible cuts, like this:
Large cut (click to show)
Small cut (click to show)

Unfortunately the contour line of the lake alone seems like a panic job to me, this is not encouraging!
aeronautic wrote:
@IsolatedBadger
Unfortunately, we can't isolate any territories for the drop and it is automatic at D12, so we couldn't have a single territory acting as a Region worth 8 bonus and we are unable to allocate territories as Neutrals.
Sorry, keep thinking of ideas though and use the DXII Guide to Map Making as a reference.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
IsolatedBadger wrote:
aeronautic
@IsolatedBadger
Unfortunately, we can't isolate any territories for the drop and it is automatic at D12, so we couldn't have a single territory acting as a Region worth 8 bonus and we are unable to allocate territories as Neutrals.
Sorry, keep thinking of ideas though and use the DXII Guide to Map Making as a reference.

I figured that might be the case, which is why I didn't put much effort into the sketch. Too bad! I'll consider keep thinking on a map to design, I think I've got the requisite skills in Photoshop. Thanks for all the replies!
IsolatedBadger wrote:
Back with a new map idea!

This is a map of Mars with 70% of the surface covered by water. Basically, if we terraformed Mars to be as similar to Earth as possible. It's based on this map https://ahstat.github.io/Topography/, which I have permission to use.

https://imgur.com/a/u4om5Py

What do you guys think? I can't decide how large the map should be - being a whole planet it seems like it should be a larger map? I haven't started working on the territories, I just did the outline to clean it up and make it easier to visualize the basic shape.

Thanks!

Thanks!
The_Bishop wrote:
Cool, I think it should be a 40-territory map, or also another size that you like, but I suggest not too large.
Having a very large and detailed map of the "terraformed Mars" doesn't sound optimal to me, and also could be hard for you to find out the names for the territories.
Some map sizes are forbidden (36 to 38 cannot be done, nor 45 to 51) a bit weird but it's our rule. Read the DXII guide for more details.

West and East should stay connected I guess, but I'm not sure there is room for a dashed line there, just a detail maybe you already have a plan for that.
aeronautic wrote:
Somebody suggested this map many moons ago... pun intended.
I can remember neither who it was nor what was the reason for not building it.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
There were some discussions and even early concepts of this map. Link to the post: https://dominating12.com/forums/3/map-creation/93/map-suggestions/post/52293#post-52293
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
This one proposed by IsolatedBadger is much more accurate: it respects the really topography of planet Mars (just adding water on its surface). Probably "moons ago" we couldn't find an accurate map of Mars on the net, now we can! I like accuracy when it's possible.
I personally suggested to IsolatedBadger to highlite the 5 major volcanos or at least the biggest one, Olympus Mons, it literally has its feet in the water and its mouth in the space, the tallest mountain in the Solar System.
With the supposed ice in that image everything high looks white and therefore the major summits aren't visible.
aeronautic wrote:
I knew there was one that I was thinking about, as I remember using an altitude map and terraforming with water to test how the land shapes would be.

SethHrab was making one thanks Cireon.
IsolatedBadger wrote:
Ok, here are some updates. I rushed the shading a bit because I'm taking my computer in for service tomorrow (sticky MBP keyboard..).

https://imgur.com/a/SHCqikn

Some notes:
-I know the outline is still a little rough, I figure I'll end up redoing the whole thing at 2px instead of 3px.
-The colors of the region shading need reworking, especially on the right side of the map. I think all the territories around Tharsis still need work. I had wanted to keep the volcanoes as their own region, but it doesn't look good right now.
-I don't like how valles marineris looks, I need to contour the blue.
-The far left territory probably needs to either be split in two or I need more connections to it. I was maybe thinking of adding "Space Elevators" that would act like ports and be able to attack each other.
-I haven't started calculating region bonuses yet. Figure I need to get the regions and territories finalized first.

Love to hear your thoughts! Am I going in the right direction? I'm no pro at Photoshop...

Cheers,
Badger
The_Bishop wrote:
Note: I see the image at 95% or so, I need to download and open it on my own program to see it at 100%.

I like the realistic ocean and the volcanos region. Nice idea to connect Elysium there.
The white area all around will become a frame? I question because as it is looks quite unnecessary.
Many small territories, I feel like it will be hard to fit all the elements (troop count circles and territory tags).
For the graphic quality I'm not the best to judge or suggest any improvements.