Have a cool idea? Suggest it here!
  • 870 posts
  • Page 49 of 58
aeronautic wrote:
Perhaps post an image of the region or area that you have suggested.
People can then view it and consider if they would like to see it as a map and indeed, if it would work as a risk map.
Also then, someone would need to volunteer to make the map and or gameplay using the DXII Guide to Map Making.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
dough_boy wrote:
[image]

I think a constellation map would be interesting. Each star is a territory, each constellation is a region. Could remove stars as needed, add different constellations, connect them, etc.
aeronautic wrote:
D12 has a policy of only creating maps that are actual or fictional maps rather than non-maps converted to Risk game maps ... Yes I know that the Solar System & House maps don't really meet this requirement, but they were before the new policy.

Sidenote: I have to laugh at "Pieces" instead of "Pisces", it reminds me of what my Gran used to call "Pizza" in the 1970's.

Keep the suggestions coming, don't be discouraged.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
dough_boy wrote:
So an actual map of the sky (that is real) cannot be converted into a map? I am not creating it regardless, thought it would be interesting and informative at the same time.
aeronautic wrote:
I knew I should have added those words "World / Land"

actual or fictional "World / Land" maps
The premise is to have locations where a real, mythical or fictional battle might feasibly take place.

The premise kind of frees the House map & Solar System map from the constraints.

If we open the door to anything being converted to a Risk Map, we end up with suggestions such as Geometric Patterns, Crazy Paving or any other non War-Like basis to stage a war, which then makes D12 like other Risk sites.

I hate saying "No" to certain suggestions as it feels so personal and it's hard to draw a defining line of feasibility for D12 maps, but predominantly, we want the players to feel that the map is the place to stage their war and may be anything from a fictional world / story to a real / possible battle ground on Earth.
dough_boy wrote:
Understood. No hard feelings. I think Star Wars and Star Trek fans might debate the "locations where a real battle might take place". :)
Tim69 wrote:
Hi, all. I designed a map of Philadelphia, the surrounding 4 counties (Montgomery, Bucks, Delaware, Chester) and South Jersey. That makes 6 total "continents" with 57 territories within. The "story" or setting is post-apocalyptic in which the region is at war - which helps explain some of the geographic features that I've incorporated. I've incorporated barbed-wire barricades along certain major roads (to help isolate/protect some territories that would otherwise be completely surrounded), bridges (some still intact and functioning as two-way and others are a bit war-torn and are functioning only as one-way), 2 airports, and a seaport that can "shell" or weaken any territory that is touching water but cannot invade. Coders and skilled programmers: feel free to laugh at me, but I literally made this in PowerPoint. That said, I think the concept works but it likely needs to be remade from scratch in a better program. I have no coding skills and would need help making this playable. I've included a link to imgur below showing a screenshot of the map to help everyone visualize. Hope everyone likes it. Also please let me know feedback.

Link to image of map: https://imgur.com/a/o3OLEIH
yeomalley wrote:
Tim69
Hi, all. I designed a map of Philadelphia, the surrounding 4 counties (Montgomery, Bucks, Delaware, Chester) and South Jersey. That makes 6 total "continents" with 57 territories within. The "story" or setting is post-apocalyptic in which the region is at war - which helps explain some of the geographic features that I've incorporated. I've incorporated barbed-wire barricades along certain major roads (to help isolate/protect some territories that would otherwise be completely surrounded), bridges (some still intact and functioning as two-way and others are a bit war-torn and are functioning only as one-way), 2 airports, and a seaport that can "shell" or weaken any territory that is touching water but cannot invade. Coders and skilled programmers: feel free to laugh at me, but I literally made this in PowerPoint. That said, I think the concept works but it likely needs to be remade from scratch in a better program. I have no coding skills and would need help making this playable. I've included a link to imgur below showing a screenshot of the map to help everyone visualize. Hope everyone likes it. Also please let me know feedback.

This looks great, awesome work! I would love to see this map get made into something playable.
jgiannelli wrote:
Love this map.

Tim69

patroclus wrote:
Tim69

Mods, make it happen!
Hoodlum wrote:
Tim69

hey tim check this map editor out. you can create a risk game (test it) from your computer, i use it when making maps, no coding/programming knowledge needed..just a bit of patience then your on your way
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
bobmcd wrote:
Tim69

Nice map @Tim69 , I will look into @Hoodlum 's tutorial and see what I can get going, but no promises as I am a noob also. Would be cool to see this get made.
aeronautic wrote:
It appears that you some moral support for your map idea.
That said, there will be no way of making any special game-play to weaken territories touching water and not be able to invade them.
However, there would be a way of making certain territories reachable by the 2 airports and the sea port, in the same way that we do this on other maps, for example, the Sheriff Posts on the Texas Map, we simply connect the ports to each other and to the territories connected to the sea, by also giving them a port symbol that will be intuitive in a map Key.
To make anything "One-Way" makes the intuitiveness of a map complicated and hard to follow, without more instructions needed in the key.
What we try to avoid at D12 is, too much reading required to understand and play the map.
The same program is used on all maps and won't be modified for a specific map.

I applaud anyone who puts a lot of thought and interest into creating a map or game-play that is unique and hope that it gets some more interest from our map enthusiasts, seasoned players and forum critics.

Please be aware, that the process of making a map suitable for play at D12, is a long process and a map can change dramatically as it is brought up to the standards required.
First read the DXII Guide to Map Making and you will have a fair idea of what is expected, should the map be given permission to proceed.
todd5269 wrote:
Tim69

todd5269 wrote:
Tim69

Really like this map idea Tim69. Hopefully we can make something happen!