update...
  • 83 posts
  • Page 4 of 6
Matty wrote:
Well, I agree on the colours of marocco (and siliana?) and israel (and surrounding)

You know about the font, its nice, but not very good readable

Im also not sure about the glow.

But overall the map looks quite nice!
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
i don't understand why the borders are so squiggly

for example Egypt's borders are most straight lines but on your map they are mostly squiggly. why?

I have heard complaints from players about the squigglyness of the lines on your maps making their heads hurt. Can you straighten them out some?
Thorpe wrote:
Did you like them straight before he tryed to update it?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
I prefer the look of the original outline. I understand that the inner territory boundaries needed to be modified but I thought the outer outline was fine.
Thorpe wrote:
and I thought the outside was bad, and the inside was fine. LOL
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
And I like both the inside and the outside not to be that straight :)

though a little bit less whobbly would still be fine, for as long as its not just too straight.
Unless its for realyty purposes, in that case its fine to me as well.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
The text is a bit hard to read and the short lines around the border are not anti-aliased.
Matty wrote:
So, we have an outline now?

Some things:
- All lines look really pixelated
- The connection lines in italy are not correct again.
- I think in the minimap the right most 3 should go a little bit to the right, and maybe the 2 and 3 below that should go to the left and right respectively
- You have a VERY big contrast problem with the colours of south france and spain
- For some reason, when I look at the map it looks really small.
I've checked some things, and it really isnt that much smaller than, for example, this one:
http://www.dominating12.com/image/map/20.large.jpg
But it still makes me feel like its very small.
- Also, it looks like theres lots of lights coming from the territories, where the world around it is night. I dont really like that style to be honest.
- And yes, the font is not really suitable for riskmaps I think.
- Ow, I like the ships!
Paddlin wrote:
I am not sure this map is salvageable as it is currently designed. The changes that have been made make the colors and textures more vivid, yet, the map remains complicated. To further this complication, you have added more text and italicized it. 

My biggest complaint about this map is the lines. It is a strange contrast to have long, straight, and solid lines on the exterior of countries, and short, messy, and sharp changing lines to separate each of the territories. The new version seems to exacerbate this problem of design. 

I think another issue is the number of territories proportionate to the actual land mass that you have designed. The map is very condensed in areas, so expanding the text makes this worse.

In other words, the things you've chosen to update on this map are not addressing its biggest problems--that is, that it is painful to look at design wise. Granted, this map is much easier to look over than the Europe map is in terms of proportion changes across countries, but it is still a difficult one to follow. 

Thanks for investing time in making this map better. 
Pntbttr wrote:
OK...so I'll try and trace fendi's outline and make it smooth and then change the fonts and switch south france's color with north france's color...
Fendi wrote:
Pntbttr what you can do is to have two outline layers, make one blurry and keep it on top of the sharp one. this way you don't have to redraw anything, if you can't make it then I will send you the new layer when I come home.

Paddlin I will explain why I did the lines like that later