The land from The Elder Scrolls Saga
  • 78 posts
  • Page 4 of 6
Thorpe wrote:
Hope you are not a one-hit wonder!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
PsymonStark wrote:
This map is scheduled for a graphic remake. Please make all the comments on how do you think this map would look better.

Thanks in advance! ^^
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
PsymonStark wrote:
The current map, for reference.

Spoiler (click to show)
Matty wrote:
In short: it looks like a lightbulb. Gameplay is awesome though.

Little more detail. There is very littel texture, both on the background as on the land. And all colours are very bright - with the 'center of brightness' in the middle of each region, making it very, well, lightbublby.

I like the fonts, not sure about the connection lines, but I think they are good.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I had to laugh when I saw this remark above from June 2012.
Thorpe
Hope you are not a one-hit wonder!

Psymon and I have discussed changes & additions to this map and I'm sure you'll see a new updated Tamriel here as soon as East Indies is finished.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Aero, I was a one hit wonder for about two years...

Due to the overwhelming number of suggestions, I'll try to see if with a new version criticism comes out :P

Spoiler (click to show)
Matty wrote:
So much improvement without losing any of the style. Well done.

I still think it can use some improvements, but not sure how or where.
Will look at it again some other time I guess.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Great improvements Psymon.

As Matty has said before, I think people should open the current D12 map in Post #48 in a separate tab and view both maps by switching between tabs. It is then far more noticeable on the changes & improvements.

Perhaps some of these suggestions?
Connection Lines: Even though it's a fictional map, use geographic style (smooth curves, solid or dashed) connection lines instead of "S type" lines.
Texture: Still keep the Sand/Grain texture, but merge/underlay another {pasted grey-scale) texture with it, one that changes across the page. All the regions are currently the same and need some variation. I'm not saying make each region unique, I'm saying use something that various across the whole land map.
Mini Map: Summerset Isles is unnecessarily offset. Use a justify or if separate texts, line them up in some way. The mini map is lighter than the main map, but I quite like that, it says "I haven't got a distinction frame, but I am not part of the main map"
Font: Not sure which script this is, but it puts a different "s" within a word than it does at the end of a word. I think I'm reading it right, is it "Narsis", this has 2 different "s".
Colours: These should take on a new vibrancy when the new grey scale texture is added.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm a bit reticent to change some things of this map.

I can't see what in the connection lines is wrong. Not that they are unclear or difficult to see or anything. I prefer them solid than dashed.

I see every s the same... It may be an eye trick by the texture. Check it with this.

I will add a subtle texture now/later.
PsymonStark wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

Have no more time, basically added a texture and fixed some colors.
Matty wrote:
Thank you Aero for saying that.

To me this map is perfect now.

Well, not really.
When text leaves a territory, the border of a territory (or region) dissapears. In most cases (Southpoint for example) this looks really nice.
However, for winterhold it looks a bit weird to me. Could you maybe try to move it around a bit?

But apart from that nitpick point, wonderful map!
Vexer wrote:
This is a big improvement.

While I would not make connection lines like that myself, because I prefer dashed, there is not anything technically wrong with them. I think we should not impose on the artists style in this case.
Fendi wrote:
Nice work Psymon, it looks much better. I especially like the thinner territory lines. I don't have anything against the connection lines and actually like the unique style but maybe you can meet what aeronautic said in the middle and see if it actually looks good/ fits the map.

One small thing, the map to me now feels a bit too grainy, the yellow and lime-green regions look good but the rest feel a bit too much. Maybe lowering the opacity of the texture will help with that. Everything else looks good.
aeronautic wrote:
Excellent work Psymon!

Just to clarify, with connections I was suggesting just a curve instead of an "S" shape and to use either dashed or solid lines.
Of course I always appreciate the artists choices and everything I suggest is merely "food for thought" that might trigger ideas with innovation.

I like the new texture a lot, you see Matty couldn't put his finger on what he thought might enhance the map, but he seems very happy with it now.

With regard to Matty's concerns about the text overlapping the outlines, even if the text had an outer effect (which it would normally need in order to overlap an outline), the outline would still be omitted in that area, therefore I believe it is fine to chop the outline where the text overlaps as you have done, it has no relevance to connections and doesn't cause any confusion.
Matty wrote:
I think it's a good thing the way it's done with the text and outline.

It's just at Winterhold where it's bothering me a little bit.