Like World Classic but one more territory for Australia.
  • 73 posts
  • Page 3 of 5
marcoxa wrote:
looks great vexer, however i noticed something that i have not noticed before but now its really buging me. Brazil is way off, once you see it you will now what i mean. i don't know if you can do anything about it but i thought i should bring it up.

[image] [image]
Vexer wrote:
brazil is off on purpose. it is not meant to represent the actual country. This map is based off the original board game. brazil was made smaller so that there would be enough room on the other territories to place troop pieces. People are used to this so I don't see an issue.
Matty wrote:
Did you have to tell that marcoxa, I fear I will see it everytime now.

I think the map is very busy, you said you wanted that, and looks pretty nice, but please dont put anything more on it.
I think the spacing between the letters in the oceans is a bit too much, whereas the spacing between words is relatively too small.

The indian ocean alignment is really good, but the alignment from both pacific oceans looks a bit too much right-aligned.
And maybe the "North" from the N-Atlantic ocean can be shifted a little bit to the left. That, or the "Ocean" a bit to the right/left.
You dont have to align both to the center, but dont align one exacty centered, but not the other.
What you did with the S-Atlantic ocean was very good, one a bit to the left, and the other a bit to the right

Also, the territory names are aligned left again.

P.S. Is it artic, or arctic

Apart from these, i really like the map
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
You, sir, are a genius.

I think that the addition of the Philippines makes it nice and balanced. A modification doesn't have to be big. The World Map is already quite balanced as it is, so I see no reason in changing it even more than necessary. I approve of the one extra territory and I don't think any more changes should be made to this map.

If you want different territories, then make another map with different gameplay. Because adding new stuff only makes it more difficult to balance it.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Pntbttr wrote:
I love the map...

@Cireon...your signature/quote thing is on one of my shirts ^_^
Vexer wrote:
Changes:

- removed lake Victoria from Africa for glanru

- added connection line on the Alaska side of the map to Kamchatka for glanru

- adjusted the spacing of the ocean labels for Matty. this time I measure precisely and all the spacing is consistent.

- fixed territory label alignment again for matty. I must have opened the old version on accident.

- reduced the font size of the ocean labels - they are just decoration anyway and don't need to be legible.

- improved the kraken/ship in the lower left corner to make it match the other ship better. I added some shading.

@ Matty, the text on the ocean is spaced out that much because that is the style i am trying to mimic. This same style (all caps, spaced out) is on many maps. I did reduce it by 10% though. The text on the territories is tight because it needs to be for some of the labels to fit.

Is it done? I would like to hear from Fendi and Thorpe on this. It's difficult for me to judge my own maps since I am the one that has to put the extra time in and I am reluctant to tell myself that it needs more work.

http://www.dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/World%20Modified5.jpg

Fendi wrote:
Hello.

First off, old maps are busy looking, much more than this one so I think Vexer has managed to capture that old map feeling.
There are however a few things that I almost bug me..

- The connection line between Alaska to Kamchatka is kind of unnecessary. None of our World maps have it. The one from Kamchatka to Alaska is all the map needs since only half of Alaska is showing. However if the second line is important then I think you should make the map wider by adding the last part of Alaska so that the whole territory is showing and draw the line from left to right.

- I like the new size of the ocean names, but I am not entirely convinced by the font. I think there is one more befitting, but maybe thats just me..

Removing lake Victoria was a good idea, Africa looks much better now.

@ Glanru - You almost gave me a heart attack!! Its great to have you back.

Take care.
Thorpe wrote:
I think the connection line in Alaska to Kamchatka needs to be move to the top of Alaska...it looks like it is playing peek-a-boo.

The Kraken/ship works! Nice job.

You did not address the whale, did you not think it looks modern and are you leaving it? Why do I have to ask? HeHe

The ocean names do stick out a little to much for me though...when I first saw the map it hit me in the face
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
i changed the ocean around the whale in the previous update and thought it was good enough now. I am not sure how to make it better. I couldn't find another whale that would match the other two icons better.

I think that when you are actually playing a game on the map you will focus on the territory circles and the things on the background won't seem to stick out so much.

I'll put the connection lines back how they were.

I like the font for the ocean labels but there probably is another font that would work better. I'd rather not spend hours trying to find it though because it would only make the map 1% better. Unless you want to pay me to find the perfect font. Then I might be motivated to try every single font to make sure I have the best one.

I can't blend the ocean labels in anymore and still have them legible. I can't remove them otherwise the ships and whale don't seem to fit the map. So it's either keep it like it is or go back to the first version with no icons or ocean labels.

I'm going to release the map as beta in order to get feedback from the general population of the site who don't check the forums.
Thorpe wrote:
I did not get to finish my post ..had to go...
It might of hit me in the face cause I was not expecting it and after looking at the map they moved to the background and so if you can not adjust them then leave the ocean names alone..it is no real big thing.

The font for the ocean to me is great and it fits the style I have seen on other maps and they add to the over all look of the modified map...my vote...kept them!

Did you try to take away some of the waves away from the whale?
or how about using something that make it more hand drawn...do you not have a program for that?..Oil Painting,,,Pen Drawing ECT.... Try them and see if any work. If none will give you the "look" then leave it on the map not a big concern...just wanted to use my "EYE"

I would not mind the connection in Alaska removed or just move it upward to the north slope of Alaska but if looks the same ...just remove it.

The map looks really good! Nice job Vexer.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
I will try to use those effects you mentioned on the whale but not till next weekend. I need a break from this map. It's good enough to be published but can always be improved. It's live on the site now so go ahead and start some games.
Thorpe wrote:
maybe the ocean lines on the top...remove those...the top 1/3 and see how that looks.
Matty wrote:
I think the map is great, text and fonts are perfect.

Not sure if you really need the connection line for alaska though - the other world maps are absolutely fine without them i guess.

And now Thorpe said something like it, the whale does have more waves around them then the ships have. Also, the waves around it in a square (diamond). Its no big deal, i like the map the way it is, but maybe it can be improved a little bit here.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
marcoxa wrote:
i know what it is! the perspective on the water around the whale is not the same as the ships.