Option for the "World Map"
  • 89 posts
  • Page 6 of 6
Hoodlum wrote:
He may have slylok, maybe it is in the initial map suggestions forum, I'll have a fish through the forum to see if i can find any mention of it, but yeah, it would have been best to post it at the start of this thread. I think he was fairly new to map making on d12 at the time your map was introduced.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
@slylok
First of all, welcome to D12 where of course Risk game maps are what the site is all about, I'm sure you'll feel quite at home here.

I would be very happy for you to remake it here, because it is a fairly popular map at D12.
You could of course just modify it, but being a graphics guy too, I'm sure you know that task can be more difficult and time consuming than remaking the image.

What I would recommend before undertaking the task is, bear in mind that the current game-play is already set up and input into the system and so the image would only have to be remade and overwritten at the same total dimensions as the current live map. So ensure that your map suits the exact same game-play if possible, then we will only need to move a few circles to suit your image.
D12 also has a series of guidelines required for its game maps, so read through the DXII Guide to Map Makers

We don't use the Hasbro Style Legend on D12 maps, we use Mini Maps wherever possible, because they are more intuitive, which is why Thorpe changed that on his adaptation.

How it works at D12 (click to show)
Most required information is usually somewhere in the Map Forum, but if you require any additional information, please feel free to send me or another Cartographer (Green Avatars) a Private Message, or just ask questions in the Map Forum.
I doubt it, but if you require any hands on assistance with the source file, also feel free to contact either myself or PsymonStark and we will be happy to help, time permitting.
We are all voluntary staff and make & update the maps in our spare time.

I am currently working on the World Double map with The_Bishop, so my map time is quite limited at the moment.

I look forward to seeing Stage 1 (Set-up, dimensions etc).

Sorry for the site problems at the moment, we have recently had a full rewrite and of course some bugs have to be ironed out. It appears that the programmers are updating some code and the Certificate are causing issues until resolved.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Seem as this has only now been brought to light, I have edited Post #1 to credit the map to slylok and a link placed there to show the original map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
100% view

Spoiler (click to show)

while researching for maps i always come across the original TOR map created by slylok. I usually forget we have it on our site. Our version never tempts me to play it. I like the look of the original one a lot better, and it didn't seem too hard to tweak without changing it too much..so gave it a go. Looks a lot like the original. with the connection and minimap adaptions by papa/thorpe
interesting fact!. I haven't read the development of the adaption for this map, but it looks like Thorpe/Papa named an Island on it. Vellis
Also the Gilacia Archipelago had been understandably shifted east a bit.

Cireon wrote:
Neat :D
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
You did a very good job of refining this map Hood.

We recently undertook a full refinement of all of the site's maps and discussed which ones we should refine, which ones had to go and which ones to keep as they are, for various reasons given by all the permanent staff at the time. If my memory serves me right, a lot of people were eager to refine this map, as it became a weak link in the new standards, but it was decided that it should stay the same because of its rough "hand drawn" like style, which gave it its character. However, at the time, it was not disclosed that it was only adapted by Thorpe from slylok's map and the original map was not seen and this sheds a whole new light on the subject.

I think now we should revisit this discussion for this map, because for me, Hood's version is how the map really should have looked and it looks the way it was created by slylok.

For the purpose of discussion, I suggest that we consider certain factors:
1) Hoods version has the original intended look of the map.
2) It still has Thorpe's adaption for D12 suitability
3) It still looks like an ancient map drawn by a cartographer.

One issue for me is the Title, this needs a bit of tweaking / balancing.

NB If it is decided to swap for Hoods version, the extra signature of "Refined by Hoodlum" should be added to the map and of course added to the authors.
All spellings should be checked and corrected e.g. Hargos / Hagros, Gilacia / Gilacian and the connection & adjacencies need to be clearer in the Gilacian region.
Also, Thorpe's label Velis is actually just one "L" and is correct. It is a product of early Photoshop text handling and looks like double "L".
Hoodlum wrote:
100 % view

Refinement version 2 (click to show)

I highlighted the connections lines in the galacian area. i can see the reasoning why Thorpe wanted to shift the land more from the original source. I moved the title in a more balanced position. I just didn't want to cover the ship, or any original ocean text. But I ended up moving that ocean text pixels south a bit, and corrected the spelling of place names that you found. I've put the text and connections in layered form so they can be easily adjusted.

Cireon wrote:
I think I prefer the curved connection lines over the straight ones in this map. Is it possible to make the connection lines curved wherever possible, because the straight ones look weird to me.

I really like the refinements on this though :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Hoodlum wrote:

100% view

curved line edit (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
The Title issue for me was the weight balance of the word, it currently looks like T OR because of the spacing.

I have a feeling that you are using a font for this, so I will make you a title and post the transparency here.

I suggest that you crop the land for Ivory Tundra and rotate it clockwise away from Northern Schataria, because as it stands, it will never work with Thorpe's gameplay, only with slylok's, it just doesn't give clarity of which islands belong to which territory and can be misleading.
Cireon wrote:
Like the new connection lines. Great work, Hoodlum!
aeronautic wrote:
I made a transparent title by hand and it is well balanced.
If you like it, it is yours and you should size it and colour it how you think it will best suit the map... modify it any way you see fit.
I also added a "real gold texture" version to give you ideas.
Tor Title (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
100% view

title/ivory tundra edit (click to show)

Thanks aero. yup it was a text font.

rotating the ivory tundra in paintdotnet blurs things, so i ended up modifying it the island instead.