New Update - Please comment
  • 73 posts
  • Page 3 of 5
Vexer wrote:
If you'd like 1771, I could also make a boring diagram version of the map that would be extremely easy to figure out. Then you could learn the strategy of the map on the diagram version and then play the cool version after you've figured it out.
Glanru wrote:
I don't think it is so complicated that someone couldn't figure out after playing it a few times. Africa looked confusing the first couple of times I played it too. But, I got used to the Africa map and like it and I'm sure this map would have the same result.
1771 wrote:
Wow i didn't mean to hurt your feelings brother, I do not even know what to reply to the last post, but I like the map, personally my concern is not if I could handle it. I will play any board, i recently started playing emdizzles 5 man panama games for something different, something more complicated. But if i put roads and highways/ interstates all over the world map, does that change the game? no, it's the same game with a bunch of not needed lines. i guarantee someone is going to want to take I-5 from Charbonneau to attack Lake Oswego and wonder why, why can't i just take the interstate. I don't know man like I said it's cool for me and you and some others, but I still get questions about the fleets in africas map, and the ports in panamas map, now roads....oh boy.

I would like to know what thaithai thinks about this map. Because that is where my 5 min. thing comes into play, because he will only play regular games unless it's a capital game, because 5 mins. isn't enough time to clear the board in a live game, and you know sometimes when you are going on that last sweep if you cant get it done then thats the game for someone else.

Calm down killer, I like it, I just wish i could invite certain people to play it, and wish i would have more than 5 mins. in a turn, the roads, well..... i just foresee alot of questions. 

Dsds7292 wrote:
But with the world map, roads wouldn't make sense in the theme. They do however make sense in this theme.
dabbledave wrote:
I'm a little on the fence about the roads on this map; I see both arguments. They do add to the theme, being a real-life city and all. On the other hand they could also add something more to gameplay if certain territories on opposite sides of the interstate, for example, were delinked. So they work as rivers do on some maps. I don't know your city, but I've seen how in some cities, communities/suburbs are so completely separated from each other by a few lanes of busy road that they might as well be on different continents.

On a tangent: I take your point about avoiding the South America/Australia scenario you get on the classic map. However, I have seen that these continents are only ever a major advantage when people get dealt more than one territory in these continents at the start so that the chances of them securing the continent early in the game are extremely good. If there was a way to force equal distribution of Oz and SA territories (with any odd number of territories forced neutral) at the start then that situation would be neutralised. Indeed the choice then becomes do I pursue a one in x chance of winning an easily defended continent or do I let the others slug it out while I secure Africa or Europe and build up some armies.

So I have question to the admins: Can we force equal distribution of Oz and SA territories (with any odd number of territories forced neutral)?
Vladimir wrote:
If this map needs to be purchased to be played on then newer players would have to save up for it first anyway. That make it so only people who play more than just one game before quitting could play on it. I think it would be a great map.
Vexer wrote:
@dabbledave about forcing equal distribution of SA and Aust. the programming is definitely possible but I highly doubt 4myGod has time for it assuming he is even wanting to do it. I personally would rather he spend his time fixing bugs.
the best solution is to just make maps that are similar to the original, only better. We actually do need a new world map because Hasbro says we have to change the territories a bit and the names of the territories so that we aren't infringing on their copyright. I am assuming that 4myGod will get around to altering his world map at some point, but that doesn't stop you from making an alternative world map.
Vexer wrote:
@1771 I reiterate my point: without the roads the connections between the territories don't make sense. If I remove them then I think you'll get more people asking you why there are dotted lines connecting these territories but not those territories.

And as far as complexity is concerned, as long as there is someone in each game who actually knows the map then they will be able to explain it. I don't think it will be that big of a deal.
Vexer wrote:
@dabbledave I did take into consideration the fact the interstates can completely separate adjacent cities. For example Lake Oswego 1 and metzger can't attack each other because of I-5.
I could have disconnected many others but I wanted them connected for better game play.
Vexer wrote:
@1771, about the 5 minute limit thing. Let's just get this map up and running and test it out.

and about people wondering why you can't take the interstate to attack from Charbonneau to Lake Oswego, it clearly states on the map that the dotted lines clarify which territories are close enough to attack via roads. it's the same reason why you can't sail from Brazil to just any territory. you can only sail to the closest, north africa. You can pick apart the world map similarly -- why can't japan attack china? it's a shorter distant than brazil to north africa. I think people understand that the connection are made for game play purposes and they don't always make perfect sense. People will have questions with any map and it takes time to learn any map.

All you have to do when the game starts is tell people to ignore the roads, they are just part of the background and use the dotted lines to figure out the connections.
4myGod wrote:
Unfortunately I didn't have time to read all the responses to this map. I'm pretty shocked that 3 users decided to make maps at the same time. I think the layout is perfect. I think the gameplay is fine (only because I didn't look too long at it). I think the orange vs the purple might be a bit difficult to notice the difference.

Yeah you are right, the roads are part of the theme and possibly we can't take them out. The dotted lines do clear it up as well, and by the way they are very professionally done imo. Maybe just some territories that are very close together and barely touching but I'm not completely sure if they connect or not.

Way to come up with an idea though and go after it. I know what you mean about making something realistic in the theme but still fun to play, I've tried many maps. :P

I'm not able to monitor all of this. I'll talk to 1771 and we'll find someone who can monitor these map making threads and make decisions on when it's ready to put up and stuff.
Vexer wrote:
I made a few small modifications, they can be seen on the second version on page 2.
Vexer wrote:
Ok, I believe that this map is done. Please look it over for errors and please comment on the changes.

Special thanks to Glanru for his work on the city labels and for making improvements on the river and the lake.

[image]