New Update - Please comment
  • 73 posts
  • Page 2 of 5
Vexer wrote:
Ok, I have updated the map based on the feedback. Please check it out and let me know if there is any confusion about which territories are connected. Also, no one has yet to comment about the region bonuses. Do you agree with them? Should they be more or less for a particular region? Think about how many territories each region has to control and how many places it has to defend. I want to make sure that this map doesn't have an "australia"

[image]

Dsds7292 wrote:
North east disrtict I think should be a 4 bonus. Other then that GREAT. No Australia
Vexer wrote:
The reason why I made it a 3 instead of a 4 is because it has two cities in it that each have a city bonus. This makes it really easy to take control of. First you start off taking Lake Oswego 1 and 2 and build up with the +1 for a couple turns. Then you take West Linn 1 and 2 and you'll have a +2. Then you only have to take one more territory to get the +3.

Did I change your mind dsds or do you still think it's worth 4.
Dsds7292 wrote:
will someone have an advantage in an 8 player game with placement though?
Vexer wrote:
yes, I don't think that this map would be ideal for an 8 player game. There aren't enough territories. The Africa map is better for that. 
I had 4-5 player live games in mind when I made this.
It has enough regions for everyone to get their own region and few enough territories that you won't run out of time during the end game when you have to take a lot of territories in one turn to kill a player off.
4myGod wrote:
It's looking a lot better. Though at first glance it's a bit scary. I'm wondering if we could tone the roads down or something to make it a bit more clear. It takes a lot of thought to figure out what connects to what, and I'm still not completely sure.
Vexer wrote:
Well that's the problem with picking a theme for a map. Sometimes the theme gets in the way. I removed as many roads as I could. The remaining roads are either necessary for connections or are major highways that I don't want to leave out. These are real cities and real roads and I just can't bring myself to modify them.
It took quite a bit of work to take something real and make it playable.
I could remove all the roads but then no one would understand why certain connections are being made. I have thought about making the lines for the smaller roads (the gray ones) thinner. That might help.
It does take quite a bit of time to get familiar with the map, but it's not like the Africa map is easy to learn either.
There are a lot of players that won't play this map because they will think it's confusing and too hard to learn, but for the ones that take the time, they will love the gameplay. This map doesn't have to be popular in order to be worth having on the site.
For those of us that are really bored with the world map for 4 player increasing live games and sick of australia being so important, this map will fill a need. Africa doesn't fill that need because in the end game you always run out of time when you tried to kill players. 
Vexer wrote:
and one more thing about it taking a lot of thought to figure out what connects to what. I think this is a good thing. It means it will take you a long time before you are so familiar with the map that you get bored with it. We can consider this map an advanced map.
Vexer wrote:
the reason why I included the dotted lines was to make it easier to figure out what is connected. don't even look at the roads when you are trying to figure out the connections. they are part of the theme and not part of the game play.
1771 wrote:
first thing i say, the roads are cool but there is no need, the highways, there is no need for them either, unless they are there as a purposely placed distraction, which in a way could be cool, but then we have to remember in live games we only get 5 min., i was thinking that when i thought about the plus one for city bonuses, because more men mean bigger, longer battles that eat away five min., another thing is the city bonuses which lake oswago, which newberg, all of them there is a 1 and 2, what's with saint paul? it is gray and not part of nothing, then we have lad hill and mulino, are they also worth nothing?

Honestly Vexer, and you are my friend, as lucide said to me in a message, we hang out all the time with each other, maybe not in person, but we are still hanging out just as friends do. I say, you and I could handle this map so could some others, (the keyword being some), but what of the 100 new guys that show up on here in a week.

In my personal opinion if this map was played just like it stands I would play it only with the better players and without some kind of code wrote where only certain people could get in a game, that's impossible, you know this.

I say lose the gray roads, lose the highways, also the interstates, clarify the 1's and 2's, bundle up ladd hill, and mulino with a spot, clarify saint paul, then my only concern would be the five min. thing, and the only way to know if that works out alright is to play it. It's awesome brother, really awesome, we need some more maps.
Dsds7292 wrote:
I highly disgree, not to be rude 1771, but I think that this map is great the way it is. I would love to try it out. It would take away some of it to lose the highways and roads. This map stands out and though some will be afraid to play it, I think we need something new and different. From the looks of it this has a lot of strategy. I say keep it how it is.
Vexer wrote:
@ 1771. I think the complexity of the map will keep a lot of the dot guys away. which is what you wanted. Think about how many fewer games are played on the africa map because of it's complexity.

Honestly 1771 do we need another basic map? I say it's time for an advanced one.
Like I said, the roads could be removed but then a lot of the connections wouldn't make sense. and the connections are part of the game play. I will try and do something to reduce the prominence of the roads.

The +1 city bonuses stay no matter what. the thing I hate about the world map is that if someone gets aust. or SA early then they have a huge advantage. In this map every player should be able to get a small bonus quickly. I designed this map with the random start and 3 on each territory in mind. I think it will work better and be a more fair start than the world map.

and about the 1's and 2's, the map clearly states that the +1 is for controlling both territories.

The 3 territories that are region-less are there to make it interesting. It's time for something different.

Also, I don't think there is any need to worry about large battles and the 5 minute limit. there are only 36 territories. It won't take that long to wipe the whole board. There are so many connections in this map that there will be a lot of attacking. I don't think there will be a lot of building up. It's better than the world map where someone always builds up on Siam.

The only way to know if the map is really playable and worth keeping is to try it out. I will do some work on the roads and then I say it's time to test it out.

We need an advanced map.