Hoodlum wrote:
Timor Island (click to show)
100% view

Timor Islands.

Small map, recommended for 2-4 players
26 territories.
6 regions

Theme East Timor Crisis 1999

Map initially developed in the map dabble thread, in likeness of gameplay of the popular Caribbean map 4p capital settings.
Graphics further developed by Caribbean map maker -NoXoN-

I've been interested in tackling the popular 4p Caribbean map topic. It's a popular setting even though it's probably only fair as a 3 capital map.
There was some discussion in alternative Caribbean map with different connections to make it suited to 4 players, but it was proposed that it might be better to just create a new map. Fans of Carib like myself, I think would probably have interest in a very similar set up. here's the attempt.
The reason Caribbean is popular is the same reason Australia region is popular in classic. Easy to hold region/s. There are likely scenarios for stalemates, but most Caribbean players continue to play it. It's a bit like Russian Roulette. You don't want that Clarence drop. You hope to get good early dice. Anyway, the Timor Island map tackles the 4 player drop, and gives alternative sharing territories in the end game stand off. The theme I feel is fitting, as a Crisis is a brewing in the East Timor region. End game Luck of the cards, blocked paths. fun in the fog.
4 player Cap East Timor Crisis (click to show)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Clarke wrote:
The only initial feedback I have is that there should be a "red/green" territory so that there is a balance between all four. There is already green/purple, purple/blue, and blue/red. So red/green would balance it out.

Even without this change, I really like the map and would love to see it get published!!!
Cireon wrote:
It feels red and green would have an advantage in this map since they are closer to the larger land mass with more territories and bigger regions. Then again, they'd be blocking themselves in as well so maybe it'll work.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
naathim wrote:
Intriguing map. Not sure it'd be as popular for 4p caps as often as you would think. Too imbalanced for me.

Dili is unclear, color too similar and it's not readily apparent that it's just one territory between the island and mainland.

Consider taking out the ports. Part of the appeal is stagnant and blocked movement.

Make Pantar a special unit that gives +1 bonus if you already control a region. Not sure about the coding of that, but it would engender some fun competition.

As beautiful as your usual work Hood. I just ain't feeling the gameplay for 4p caps. Looks like it'd be a fine deathmatch map though.
Hoodlum wrote:
Pantar bonus is a cool idea. It gives it some purpose and between the nothern territories sharing it for cards,
it keeps that interesting. I think we have the coding in place already (eld world)
if one northern player doesn't want to open a path, it rewards the other northern player likely to help get an
+1 extra troop to try and get a card in the mainland. but then one of the southern players might have other ideas.
Where then I feel the necessity of ports.

I like the ports because it's only 1 or two steps away from taking a peek at any of your opponents force (fog scenarios). If you
commit yourself to peek, you risk blocking your self, but because the ports are peeking points, then it's very
likely that other players will keep opening at least Pantar, or one of the ports.

Dili, is the mainland bit, but that island (Atauro) is a subdistrict. I think as is I had pulled it towards the mainland a bit already, but it shouldn't be an issue to pull it a little bit closer so that it looks clearer. I'd rather keep it as one territory than make it two.
Hoodlum wrote:
Ti mor Islands 1 (click to show)
100% view

Pantar bonus edit. Colour edit

Cireon wrote:
With three brown regions on the map, I think it's unclear how exactly those regions work.

Also I am not so sure about the ports. Apart from the connectivity and gameplay thing, I find it a bit odd there are only two harbours. I would expect them to be connected with a dotted line instead of port icons, because right now I find myself expecting more than 2. I would also connect the island with the mainland in the Dili region probably to make the connectivity clearer there (though putting the territory icon sort of inbetween may do the trick as well).

Finally: I would replace the * description to say "adjacent region" instead of just "region".
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
@Cireon. I see your point about the ports. If there are only 2, then it's pointless. Covolima as a 3rd port would probably be the only other option if ports are kept.
Matty wrote:
I agree with the dotted line thing, though I haven't payed enough attention to see if it would work.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
I don't think I like the extra bonus for Pantar. It's not clear how it works, or how to input it in the system. You get a max of 1 extra troop or you get +1 per every region held?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
i think currently (programming wise) it's only going to work with +1 for every region held....sooo, it will probably be too unfair at end game. It could be specific to just the northern regions though (tug of war) which is a minimum of +1 or a maximum of +2. 
Hoodlum wrote:
edits. Colour tones. Bonus description. No ports. No flags.

Timor Islands 2 (click to show)

100% view
Jimi wrote:
I like

“While you were so busy forcing me into a boner, you forgot you were committing one yourself.”

Batman
Jimi wrote:
Pantar will be the new moron

“While you were so busy forcing me into a boner, you forgot you were committing one yourself.”

Batman