Remake
  • 165 posts
  • Page 6 of 11
aeronautic wrote:
Yes, it should have been "Same colour ports can attack each other".

I'm not sure where I can fit anything to do with Dragon skeletons, due to land size being about 3000+ miles in length... by scale it would be a dot.

Perhaps I will try something on the Title.

Artistically I can put anything anyone requests on the map, but as a game-board, I am governed by certain essential criteria. The land has to have a distinctive outline for bordering purposes. Therefore anything I make as land also has to have an outline and not be confusing to game-play. Things like frozen shore effects might be okay, but icebergs will look a bit cheesy with the thick outline.

I'll take the Mini Map font up a size.
Westeros & Essos 8 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
@Supiachao - I checked and I can confirm dragons are extinct in the era of the novel(s) since I vote for no dragon, it would result to be a wrong representation.

As for the supposed passage way between the wall and the river Supiachao is not the 1st saying that. For me it's clear there is no passage there, I think it's a problem of perspective. Moving the wall up a couple of pixels, partially covering the river, would make the difference. If it is possible.

I agree with the title looking a bit metallic. Because it is thin like a metal sheet. And I feel it would fill better the space if written in 2 lines: "Westeros" / "& Essos", moving it up left between Widows Watch and the port key. (Or even 3 lines maybe: "Westeros" / "&" / "Essos" ). By the way even as it is it is not bad.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
momagajic wrote:
Version 5 whit green Stormlands region is better for me ,also all that trees in Oldtown,now I cant recocnize Stormland and Dorne region is same on my display ,also that title on my monitor look more like stone than metall ...
aeronautic wrote:
I must have posted the same time as supiachao's last post.

You'll notice The Wall covers the river outline which signifies no visible gap. It is all the way up to the river which has mountains on both sides on the official maps, but not as intuitive for game-play, so I have made it what I thought was more intuitive.
It also contradicts the Impassable Key if it was assumed you can go around the wall, especially as The Wall only borders The Gift & The Fist of the First Men and the key says it is impassable.

The Title will be changed tonight.

@momagajic, thanks for the feedback. The trees and hills in Old Town were supposed to show a gradual blend of terrain to the plains, but I had a re-think about scale. On a game map, the forests have to look like trees to show they are forests, because at this scale the forest trees would actually just be a shape of green on the land and to put individual trees anywhere on the map kills the aesthetics of the map, so they had to go. Just to make it a little clearer if I haven't already, trees would never be this size compared to the mountains, but they are made to look like trees regardless, because otherwise we would not recognise forests.

The Turquoise of Stormlands was voted against as it didn't fit the natural looking colours of the map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
@ Bishop. Dragons are not QUITE extinct. There's three now!

Spoiler (click to show)

A small stylized dragon would look good right under your name in the mini-map region aero. It's a little bare spot right there. Of course, if you do that it might look too busy! Just can't win lololol

It's a little unclear what region Iron Islands belongs to. Might move the label on the mini-map up to cover it and make it clearer? No, don't think that'll work, especially if you make them bigger.... Um. Add a splash of yellow to one or both of the bigger islands? Or that might make it worse lol.
aeronautic wrote:
Those Sea labels just don't seem right to me, they are also spoiling the map, I will have to change their colour.
supiachao wrote:
same colour as the sea, but higher opacity?

I asked that because I am not sure if it is passable or not, like kinda ambiguous to me, maybe just me.

Putting a dragon in the title/background seems cool. 
aeronautic wrote:
You said you wanted Dragons, well here's dragons and swords, with an ice face on The Frozen Shore.
Westeros & Essos 9a (click to show)
Westeros & Essos 9b (click to show)
Matty wrote:
I like 9a yes, although the colour of "Wes eros & Essos" can be improved IMO.

The only problem is that it's hard to see anything but the title right now...
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
momagajic wrote:
hoodlums sword killing the litlle dragon haha ,great job aero ,i like every version i dont hawe nothing against version 5-9b ,all is great ^^
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks all. In my opinion 9a gives the feel of Game of Thrones.

Here's the dilemma, in order to have a really nice Title, this becomes a feature, which is not normally what we want on a game board.
However, this particular map is a story map and is all about the Theme.

My question is, do you think the title will be able to stay as a feature of the map, or shall I save time fine tuning it and make a simple title without all the effects instead?

One thing to consider, when given a choice between 2 identical titles, but the first one with eye-catching lighting effects, everybody chose that one. This says that, even though you are all aware that it is eye-catching / distracting, you would still have it on the map.
Matty wrote:
I really can't decide. The new title is cool, but it makes the text on the land look so small. The old title (version 8) was good as well, and more professional.

Edit: To clarify; the titles of both 9a and 9b are distracting. To me it's a choice between 8 and 9a, as 9a is just cooler than 9b.
I think the size of the title (fontsize), the closeness to the land and the huge sword are more distracting than the lightning effect.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria