new map, how do i submit it?
  • 50 posts
  • Page 2 of 4
aeronautic wrote:
My Chosen Text (click to show)
In the Spoiler above is my map and I would like to explain & discuss various things about the map here.

@PsymonStark thanks for your helpful advice.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
JS243
Also could you walk me through on how to upload maps on here? Thanks
I have written a tutorial of how to use the forum tools here for the purpose of showing and discussing your map and any subsequent updates.
The whole tutorial is in the black spoiler box below.
Tutorial (click to show)
I hope this is helpful and easy to follow?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
JS243 wrote:
Thanks guys. I originally made this map to be printed and made into a real board game for my uncle. We both love RISK. But then I stumbled across this cool website after the fact and I thought I would try and upload it on here for other people to play. Thats why a lot of the rules were skipped, because I didn't know about them. I will try to tweak it to fit your guidelines but I might be limited because I no longer have access to photoshop.
JS243 wrote:
I did a bit of research when I made this thing and was dealing with the balancing act of staying true to the geography while keeping good gameplay. I decided to go with a west indies theme vaguely around the late 1700s to the early 1800s. That's the reason for some of the weird countries and territories. I had to bend the rules a bit to make them both work, but I think it's pretty accurate. Besides, I don't think the original RISK board is entirely accurate anyway.
Vexer wrote:
Can we get a volunteer with photoshop to team up with JS243 on this?
PsymonStark wrote:
Yay, I'm in the tutorial! :P

I could give it a try, I hope the original file is bigger than this one though.

I will take a look to some 17th century map to get some inspiration.

EDIT:
Mitchell 1860 (beware, 3500x2200: huge resolution!) (click to show)

This is one of the most interesting antique maps of the place. We can remake the territories if needed based on this. It would be better if we can make a difference between the Mexico of this map, and the Mexico of this other map. The gameplay will already be very different because of the ports.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Yes, of course you're in the tutorial, you're a legend around here!
I shouldn't say Legend to a cartographer, he'll think he's a Written Key!!

But even Legends make mistakes, you mean 19th Century Map?

I was also going to volunteer my services here, but Spy Moon has 'point'. This should be a nice looking game map, I'm glad nobody rejected it and yes I understand that most West Indies maps also show the surrounding countries and also would have, no doubt, included them if I had made this map from scratch, for the sake of game play (too many tiny islands in the West Indies).

Good luck with this, you won't need me, but if you hit a graphic problem you wish to overcome or speed up, PM me.
PsymonStark wrote:
Yes, 19th century, I noticed it on that awful minute 16, and hoped no one would notice xD

I think it would be interesting to move some territories from Mexico to South America, so we can divide it in the two countries existing then. Always supposing that we choose that time, JS has to say something here.
The_Bishop wrote:
It looks pretty cool. I also have counted 44 territories, but I am not sure though. I would have preferred 45 really to be able to set a 5x9 game without using the old USA map. It looks so much like a map for games on the real board. Maybe texts are too small but I like the "similar-to-Risk" style, but obviously that word (Risk) cannot stay. Maybe Dominating 12? I have no problem with the legend for the bonuses; if Fendi gives permission, of course. But the map title is clearly missing, by the way there's room for that on the West side of the map, maybe on the top moving the compass down. Regions are very well defensible, the connectivity is pretty low, it seems cool to play. Have you already played it sometimes JS243? Also, please, show it on an appropriate size so that we can evaluate better the graphic and the game play.

Edit: looking better I think the territories are 43
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Wait a sec - is the Bahamas a territory? If so, then it's 44 territories and it needs a connection line, if not, then it's 43 territories.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

PsymonStark wrote:
Andros represents Bahamas, if I'm not wrong.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Ahh that makes sense.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

JS243 wrote:
The Bahamas are that entire chain of islands. The biggest of the represents the whole group. I've played the map in the following format and It seems to be very well balanced the way it is. I just can't decide on The Greater Antilles (Brown) value. 4 or 5
Heres how it goes...

Purple (Lesser Antilles)=2.....easy to hold
Yellow (Gulf Coast)=3.....some what easy to hold
Blue (Central America)=3.....moderate
Red (South America)=4.....difficult to hold
Brown (Greater Antilles)=4 or 5 can't decide......very difficult to hold
Green (Mexico)=6......very difficult to hold

This map has the same amount of territories as the original RISK and the same number of "continents" but I think it allows for a more balanced game.
PsymonStark wrote:
I think that the USA Gulf Coast should be a 2 and the Greater Antilles a 4.