new map, how do i submit it?
  • 50 posts
  • Page 3 of 4
JS243 wrote:
Hmm I don't think 2 would be enough for the Gulf Coast (yellow). It has 5 territories with 4 invasion paths. In the original RISK, Australia is worth 2 but it only has 4 territories and 1 invasion path and South America only has 4 territories with only 2 invasion paths. I think 3 is a good value for the Gulf Coast.
PsymonStark wrote:
Following the formula, the 5 territories 2 borders regions should have a bonus of 2.47. The fact that it is in a corner of the map, and not an attractive direct path for going through (many steps compared with brown region) makes me round down instead of up.

Australia is worth 1.73 and South America 2.13. It's quite a lot of difference but those regions are not on this map.

Let's wait though for others to give their opinion on bonuses.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Basically I agree with the bonus adjusting proposed by Psymon. We consider more important how many territories you have to defend to keep your region protected. In case of Gulf Region it's only 2 as it is for South America in classic Risk.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
JS243 wrote:
Yeah but you have to take into account the invasion paths. Sure you might only have to protect 2 territories like South America. But South America only has 2 invasion paths or threats that can attack it. The Gulf coast also only has 2 territories to protect but it has 4 invasion paths or threats, so it takes twice the amount of armies to hold it.
UltrasPlot wrote:
actually, no - people aren't just gonna attack you for the sake of attacking you and the ease of holding relative to south America is approximately equal. I could see 3's holding this earlygame (like every other region less than +4) - and 6 troops per turn for that would be high
The_Bishop wrote:
Sometimes it's better to explain the changes.
What I can see here you added the mini-map and a connection line between West Cuba and Bahamas.

That's cool. I hope to have this map among the D12 maps. Even if we already have 2 of a similar area of the world this one seems to me a better cut, honestly.

Some observation:

The mini-map it's too big in my opinion.
And the title is practically missing or let say it's very small.
"RISK - The World Conquest Game" should be changed, something like "DXII - The World Domination Site"
Windward Islands are a bit confusing.
The territory tags seems a bit too small at this size but still readable though.
You must try to fit the game circles on the map and let see how it look.

PS - I hope I have forgotten anything
PsymonStark wrote:
I don't know if you have forgotten anything but I will complement you. Please don't be scared of the long post, that means that I really like what I see! ^^

First, it looks great. I think that you should do two parallel copies, one for printing and another one for the website. The requirements are similar but differ in a few things. I can help you with both, if you need.

Then, some remarks. There are some incorrection in labels:

-Danish Antilles is not accurate, in fact Danish Antilles are three of the islands east to Puerto Rico but west of the territory line if my research is good. Virgin Islands would be a better name.

-Nuevo León, then New Santander is not coherent. It should be Nuevo Santander and the shape is different. I believe you have drawn the new state of Tamaulipas. It depends on the year though, Nuevo Santander covered part of Texas too. The map is accurate in 1821-1824 for this territory, so it can be considered as valid.

-Some issues with Spanish accentuation: Nuevo León, San Luis Potosí, México, Yucatán, Dominican Republic->República Dominicana, Bolívar, Panamá. May have missed some. I would be grateful if you corrected all these and changed RD label to Spanish as they are Spanish speaking countries.

-West Cuba, Venegas, East Cuba are not the best labels for Cuba, I would put La Habana, Camagüey, Santiago as they are (and were) the most important cities of Cuba, and there are too many regions. I couldn't find a place named Venegas on the map.

-The Bahamas label is too far from Andros and is difficult to connect them both. By now Andros seem a territory without label. Maybe you should try to put it between Andros and the other islands.

Other stuff, more important probably:
The connection between Moragas and Windward Islands is difficult to see. You should make it longer and let it go behind Trinidad to meet the Windward Islands label and it will be clearer.

There are a lot of connections now from Cuba to Bahamas, it looks cluttered. Maybe remove the middle one?

The labels are small... barely readable at 1024px width. Maybe if you remove the black outline it improves a bit? (only for the website version)

I am not a fan of the ocean labels font. I think it doesn't fit the map. Something more classic would work better I believe. Also, the Risk labels have to go (at least for the website version). I would say to get rid of the complete box for the website version, because it's similar to the copyrighted game and may bring a problem or two... This way we make sure that no problems will come from that side. You could fit the minimap there and leave the wind rose visible where it was.

I don't like either the division of México. There are many little territories clustered, then the big México territory. I would personally include Tabasco inside Yucatán and Coatzacoalcos inside Veracruz. After that, I'd divide México in Guerrero, México and the three states above it that are inside the map (Guanajuato, Querétaro and Hidalgo, check this map) merged in one (say Guanajuato because it's more populated). The paths remain equivalent, but the fast way is the eastern way (Yucatán-Veracruz-Puebla) instead of the western way (Chiapas-Oaxaca-México). This is for making bigger territories where you can fit the circles.

If you read all of this you'll be tired of me. Keep up the good work!
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
JS243 wrote:
Welp, unfortunately I don't think I will be able to make all those changes to meet your websites requirements. Had I come across this before I finished the map and my photoshop expired maybe I could do it. Ohhh well....
aeronautic wrote:
Don't give up on this, please collaborate with Psymon, he will assist with graphic changes.

Regardless of you not having the Photoshop program any longer, you will still have the PSD file (layers) and this can be edited by someone with Photoshop.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
JS243 wrote:
What value would you suggest for each color? Maybe Green should be worth 5 and brown also 5. Brown seems the hardest because it is sandwiched between everything and very hard to hold. Your thoughts?
aeronautic wrote:
It would be best to first confirm that you have the PSD (Photoshop) file that you used to create this map board and that you wish for our assistance to make the required changes.
The changes PsymonStark itemised above should first be achieved before deciding on the region bonuses, because he has suggested some territory quantity & connection changes.

The reason I suggested Psymon is he showed early interest in this map and has done all the relevant research to assist you in altering the map to suit D12 requirements, accurate timescale uniformity & best game-play.

If it is inconvenient for Psymon or if he does not have the time, I will take the PSD file from you in due course and make the graphic changes according to his recommendations above.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Is JS243 continuing with this map or handing it over to one of the cartographers? It's an amazing map and I would love to see it implemented.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

aeronautic wrote:
I am unsure. He is not responding to questions & concerns. Therefore, I don't know if he has the PSD file or if he would like D12 to develop the map?
The_Bishop wrote:
I am sure he has the file ("Caribbean Sea" tag and the "Vessel and Octopus" drawing have been swapped from the 1st version to the 2nd one) and I hope layers are not too much merged to allow modifications.

I feel like Psymon gave him a too much long list of changes! (LOL) I trust Psymon's accuracy but I think the use of Spanish names is debatable. I agree to remove the middle connection between Cuba and The Bahamas though, and everything can make the map historically and geographically more accurate.

I want to encourage JS243 to go ahead with this because I've rarely seen such a good job as first attempt. But things must be made following the XII Guide and the Cartographers' directions (unless you have solid reasons against them).

I think "The Bahamas" may be written horizontally so touching Andros in one side and the minor islands in the other side. And then, please JS, try to put circles on the map to see how it looks like.