a.k.a. Psymon's map #4 - 78 territories
  • 98 posts
  • Page 5 of 7
The_Bishop wrote:
Okay I am ready with the capitals, sorry for taking so long.

Here my proposal:
Caps234
Caps567
Caps89

I don't think Psymon's were bad, but I prefer mine. :P Also he did the job when the connection Kotka-Slantsy was not in place. I avoided the non-Baltic countries (Norge and Bielarus) except in case of 9 players. From 6p and higher there are always few caps with 2 outs only, but they are always placed in small conquerable +3 regions, useful for a different strategy in case they are blocked in. Where things can be undecided by one hope more or less in the paths, there I preferred the distribution looking esthetically nicest. Since it can happen some caps 4 hops distant when the others are 5 (example).
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
On a quick look I prefer mine too :P

Just joking, I just prefer my 2p caps because they are both in the +5 regions, in a pseudosymetrical way. The other ones, I will have to look at them later.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes pseudosymmetrical but I think Jonkoping has a positional advantage: Gotland island is such a strong point that he can easy take control on. The secondary path trough Polska is so long, since he can (probably / in most of games) clean the area around him and push to Gotland. That would be pretty embarassing for the player with the cap in Zemgale.

I was thinking on moving the Swedish cap to Halland but then I couldn't find something equal in the "yellow region". I get finally satisfied on putting one cap in Gotaland (brown region) and one in Polska.

They are equal regions, the caps have equal numbers of adjacences(4) and equal numbers of indirectly controlled region borders(2). There are 2 main equal 8-hops paths between them, completely separated: one trough Bornholm and Swedish land, the other a zig zag touching all the other Baltic islands represented on the map. I think it's cool. I think Dalarna is a bit easier to defend having only 3 entries but Kujawy has an easier control on the small Kaliningrad +1.

Really I didn't want to drill into technical details, mine are just suggestions, feel free to set capitals as you like Psymon. Also I don't really mind so much what the caps will be for 2, 3 and 4 players. But at least I hope you'll like the nice hexagon I've found for 6 players, thanks to the new connection in Kotka and the "fast route" by Dzukija and Latgale.
PsymonStark wrote:
To be frank, those 2p were the first option I came up with, but didn't like they were on the borders of the map. Well, it was not Vestlandet-Mahilyow, so I can't complain :P

Probably I will because I messed up my 6p diagram somehow. Anyway, maybe 6p Dalarna should go to Uppsala? Now Dalarna-Espoo is a hop longer than any other direct path.

After some comparing and noticing how stupid I am (a few times), I think that I will go with these:

Bishop: 2p, 4p, 5p, 6p(modified?).
Psymon: 3p(modified Sachsen-Anhalt->Lüneburg), 7p, 8p, 9p.

If you told me the technical details, I would probably end using all your proposal. But then I would probably stop trying to get caps done? As always if there is anything wrong or with room to improve, it can always be changed later.
The_Bishop wrote:
You are pretty punctilious on respecting the distances. It looks like you like better to have Uppsala instead of Dalarna, really both are okay for me. But Dalarna-Espoo is not the only 5 hops path (in my 6 caps proposal), because also Mazowieckie-Novgorod is.

Otherwise what about Uppsala instead of Dalarna, Helsinki instead of Espoo and Riga instead of Novgorod? So we'd have a hexagon with three edges of 4 hops and three edges of 5 hops.

Your 7, 8 and 9 are pretty good, probably better then mine.

There was an option for 4 caps with perfect equal distance. I mean like a rectangular shape with 5 hops in each edge (since it's more like a square!) ^^ and 8 hops in both diagonal (since it must be a non-Euclidean geometry!) :S But then the perfection is virtual bcoz many paths are overloaded...

Okay I am going to sleep now, see you tomorrow
PsymonStark wrote:
I guess I'll become better with caps with more practice. Yes, I give a lot of importance to distances as they are one of the few criteria that are objective and easy to fit. I prefer the Riga 6p set because there are more paths on the right side of the maps.

Let me input them on the system and then we'll just need Fendi final approval! ^^

You know, sqrt(50)=8 in some space... :P
PsymonStark wrote:
Ok, I inputted them, but in 9p changed Mahilyow for Kurzeme. It's analogous but Kurzeme has three paths instead of the two for Mahilyow.

The caps I finally input (click to show)
The_Bishop wrote:
Well they are nice... Just waiting for playing it now!
PsymonStark wrote:
I feel a sudden urge of throwing a connection line from Niedersachsen to Schleswig-Holstein to avoid Sachsen-Anhalt being the only 6+ cap with only two exit paths... Opinions?
Fendi wrote:
Sorry PsymonStark but I don't see much difference between the previous version and the latest one when it comes to Danmnark + Bornholm..or are my eyes going bad? Isn't possible to make the edges a shade darker or something of that sort.

And will the connection lines stay that way?
PsymonStark wrote:
I will add the connection and if someone opposes to it I will be open to remove it, also, I think I solved the problem of the label, I was relatively conservative when applying the change before, and now I'm afraid I may have gone too far.

I corrected too a small pixel deviation on the legend.

baltic13 (click to show)

@Fendi (click to show)
Fendi wrote:
Much better. :)

@PsymonStark (click to show)
The_Bishop wrote:
Fendi was right about the "special bonuses" legend.
PsymonStark wrote:
The map is now beta-able. Whenever Fendi gives her permission it can go beta. It is still open to changes in any case.