a.k.a. Psymon's map #4 - 78 territories
  • 98 posts
  • Page 4 of 7
naathim wrote:
Sweden is a red herring! Espoo!!

Looks great! Although I think you overdid the asterisks? Have them on the map or in the legend, but not both, kind of distracting to me. But redundancy is always good in case people would miss it.

Maybe move a few of the inland bonuses so they're not covered by territory lines. I know you don't want people to think holding that single territory is worth that bonus, but they're a little covered up. Could you superimpose them over the territory borders?

I'd leave them the way they were brightness wise as well. The legend is nice, but the inland bonuses are just really handy and I wish they were just a bit more noticeable and easier to read.

The legend looks much better, much easier to read for me. But Svealand still blends in, brown on brown, but there's not much you can do about that one I don't think.

Can't wait to play!!
PsymonStark wrote:
I want bonus to be noticeable but not on first plane so you can focus on the map and not on the bonus number. At the end of the day you only have to check the bonus a few times until you know how many troops a region is worth. Slightly hidden behind the territory lines the numbers achieve this purpose. I want them to be clear but not a main thing always present in plain sight. That's why minimaps are the best option, as they give precise info while not disturbing the game.

This said, I don't like the redundancy but I see it as the lesser evil... To be honest I liked the elegant only legend solution better.

I will reduce the Svealand blending later.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Sorry Psymon, those asterisks that I proposed are not nice, get rid of them please. Really I proposed them only for the "mean lands" i.e. Danmark and Rossyia. But okay as matter of fact there's no difference between "main lands" and "exclaves", except maybe Bornholm would need a +0 for consistence.

But really it's rare to see very small regions in your maps, I mean that little KGD Oblast... It's not something that make me really excited. What about to change it as a no bonus region that is worth +2 (or +1) only if owned together with Rossiya? Practically the same as it is for Bornoholm.

Territory font is not changed so much, still it's hard to read for me, and Ö looks too much like Ü, it's irritating. Inland bonuses I think must stay well visible, I liked as they were in this version and territory font as well. It should be a compromise between artistic style and practicality. Inland bonuses better without + in my opinion.

I hope the legend bar on the bottom is approved because I like it so much. She's the boss, you know who! I feel you are right about the empty spaces not looking nice, but maybe you'll come up with something better than dashes.

My capitals proposal is almost ready, maybe it needs some re-check but mainly I'm not in the mood to loads all the images now. I have considered also the added connection and I have set a cap on the territory where Fendi lives, it looks due!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
I prefer the new font, I mean, it's not a curly one, just mildly fancy. The other one was intended as a standard provisional font. I will make the Ö not look like an Ü though. If you have any other issues with the font, tell me.

Also, about those inland numbers, I realised that I don't want them as big as they were because they were overwhelming. I think that the smaller ones with the + are clearer than the big ones that we had before. They draw my attention of the borders and circles, and it's a thing that disturbs me. Plus, Fendi didn't like them if I'm not wrong.

The + is only to make clearer that the number is a bonus and nothing different. I will get rid of the * tomorrow.

I don't see why KGD's +1 should disappear. It's a small region, but a region itself. A region with 0 bonus is as weird as a broken region. Also, if I do what you propose, no one will be interested on it as a counterpart of being in the middle of one main path, that was one intended purpose of KGD originally when given a +1.

I will try diamonds in the legend, to see how they look like.
PsymonStark wrote:
baltic10 (click to show)

-Removed asterisks.
-Tried diamonds.
-Modified special characters.
-Reduced Svealand and REGION BONUS blending.
The_Bishop wrote:
Dang! I was typing and misclicked somewhere... I will rewrite in short:

I'm happy with the new Ö thanks Psymon. I think "i" and "j" need the same job, the dots a bit upper if you can please.

Maps with many +1 regions like Oregon Cities or Medi States are cool in my opinion, but only one is a bit weird and unfair.
Not that that little +1 will change the game so much but just saying.

Also in case of Denmark you'll conquer first the mainland and then the exclave. In case of Russia things would be probably opposite, first you take Kaliningrad and then you go for the motherland. I don't know how to say... The movement seems less realistic.

But as I said it's a minor issue. If nobody agree with me to change it then keep it as it is.
PsymonStark wrote:
There, i and j dots slightly lifted. There are a lot of i's for you to know :P

baltic11 (click to show)

Edit: the label contour opacity is 10% higher than it should be, I don't want to upload a new image for such a minor thing though.
The_Bishop wrote:
Okay it looks like the vote is to keep KGD bonus as it is... But something new came up in mind. There is a thing in gameplay/representation that looks a bit non logic for me; and now that I realized it I cannot stop anymore to think it.

I mean there's an extra +1 for completing Denmark, there's an extra +1 for completing Russia... Shouldn't be there an extra +1 also for completing Sweden?? (Orange and Brown regions) It's something that I would really like! I hope to find Psymon's agreement on that ;) What people think?
PsymonStark wrote:
Lol, it's true. I didn't come up with that because Kaliningrad was originally only one territory, but needed one more to 78 (81 was optimal but wasn't possible), so I split it. Keeping it balanced, maybe a +1 for Baltic countries too? I don't think that there is such a big difference but will listen any opinions.

Looking closer, it would be harder to hold Baltic countries than Sweden, I don't think that it deserves a bigger bonus. Calculating it as a complete region, the Vexer's formula gives 7.33 while Baltic would give 8.13 (8.06 adding Pskov). I think both at 9 is fairer. Plus, more extra bonus means more legend space required (on the map) and a more difficult to understand map.

I will be practically out of pixels though on the legend! Don't make me add any more asterisks :P Luckily, orange and brown are relatively similar colours. Not that much yellow and blue.

BTW, "the vote" means no one voted... I don't want another one like that one, so please give your opinions.
Fendi wrote:
I don't really care much for the +1 bonuses but if they play a big part in the game-play then I guess they have to stay.

There are some labels that I find are a bit hard to read, like Danmark + Bornholm and Bielarus due to the colour and the background. There are also some region bonuses that in my opinion feel a bit too saturated, like the 5 on Svealand, 3 on Soumi, 4 on Eesti and 4 on Rossiya.
Other than that, this map looks pretty much done to me. Really nice work.
The_Bishop wrote:
Really the whole Sweden (Svealand + Gotaland) is already a pretty well defensible hyper-region since it doesn't need so much an extra +1; as shown also by Psymon's calculations. Plus my proposal would ruin the perfect balance of the 2 biggest regions, that was one of the initial purposes. Since I have quickly changed my mind (sorry for the loss of time) and I think the map must stay as it is.

So we are close to the final version, apart from some minor issues as remarked by Fendi. Plus I am going to post my capitals proposal very soon! (really they were already done some days ago but I was lazy to do that)
PsymonStark wrote:
I fixed the points that Fendi remarked. It is really nice to read that.

baltic12 (click to show)
baltic12nocirc (click to show)
PsymonStark wrote:
Now that I have some time and Fendi said that it is almost done, I will go ahead and input the map in the system. I will prepare it for beta as soon as Fendi gives her final ok.