Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 35 of 40
ProblemChild96 wrote:
Cool idea ely, but I think doing that could diminish the individual territory lines, but if it was done well I think it could give a really cool look
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
Hoodlum wrote:
future earth.. redone connections. land shading stuff. symbol blending

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
elysium5 wrote:
Nice. Looks a lot less flat and a little more dangerous/mysterious.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
elysium5 is online.
aeronautic wrote:
The territory effects have made a big difference to the colours, as ely stated, "a lot less flat".

I am still concerned about the contrast of some of the symbols. I think it's the dark colours that make them stand out more. Can you spray them with the average region colours... these need to be illustrations, very much 2D if possible. The lion is the benchmark.

I am also concerned about the amount of connection lines, especially in the centre and bottom left areas. Is there anything that can be done to reduce these?
Would it ruin the game-play and map movement to reduce the number of connections? (Not my field).

The centre left and upper left regions are quite similar in colour, I think the upper left region is the common denominator, this maybe needs to be a completely different colour.

The overall land & water itself, has a very nice look and a good theme.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
quite a few changes in this edit. new heraldry symbols. Place names moved around to fit a territory better. colour change region (green). re-connections. redraw of territories for the region bottom left for more movement, capitals gameplay in consideration. re-evaluated bonuses

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
aeronautic wrote:
Awesome, the difference in the last two edits is poles apart.

I have nothing more to say about the colours.
The connections now look more subliminal, fit the map much better and now seem intuitive.

4 of the Heraldry Symbols still focus the eye.
It is only because of dark colours in the symbols. If you can reduce all the dark colours and mostly make them match the region colours, they will slip away into the background.
Green, Grey, Coral & Blue.

Don't forget to sign the image.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
recolouring of the symbols edit

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
aeronautic wrote:
Wow what a difference that made, the whole map just balanced.

I can't remember, did you test the game-play on this?
I should have asked you to make a map thread for this... forgot. You still need one though for official scrutiny.

I would be happy to put this one straight into Beta, but it needs some team feedback, I'm just graphics.
maafi wrote:
I know both Matty and Bishop don’t like the gameplay of Jungle of Despair but I remember having some great fog games on that map. I like what Hood has done to it. Can we go forward with it?
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
aeronautic wrote:
The Jungle of Despair got Marmite feedback, loved & hated.
I'm not sure if it's worth bringing it back when it was one of the rare discontinued maps and nostalgia is not a good enough reason.
I'm happy to take a vote on it?
However, for me, the look of the map is still not right.

What happened to Persia?
Hoodlum wrote:
marmite feedback lol. like that expression..love/hate

I think i accidentally deleted the latest graphics (the one i last posted) of the Persia map (textures etc) but still have the layout

dough_boy wrote:
I never played the original, but it looks gritty and dark. A departure from Hood's normal style if you will.
Matty wrote:
I don't like it, but if other ppl do, then sure go agead.
Providing Aero gives the final ok for looking good enough and all B|.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Hoodlum
jungle of despair playaround -
tree dabble (click to show)
Jungle of Despair
I never played the jungle of despair map. I can see why it would be a good map for fog games, but personally I don't find the gameplay appealing. Hood's version is definitely better graphics-wise. I don't know if it's a map the site needs. A few veterans want it back, but does that mean it should be brought back? Maybe as a premium-only map? Maybe not at all...

I guess it boils down to:
1. Why was it discontinued? If it was for gameplay or thematic reasons, it should probably stay discontinued. If it was for graphical reasons only, there's no reason why it couldn't return.
2. Would it get played? Completely fictional maps tend to get played less here.
3. Does it bring something new/unique to our repertoire of maps?

Hoodlum
recolouring of the symbols edit

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
Earth 20200
I've stayed quiet on this map, not sure why, maybe it's because I hate saying when I don't like things... the map is a very fine piece of work! Graphically stunning! And it is definitely unique gameplay for this site. Having said that, I almost feel as if the regions are completely irrelevant - in increasing cards games by the time anyone has conquered 10+ territories to gain a region, everyone will have already turned in twice, making the card bonus very high. When the card bonus is 50+ by the time anyone holds a region, the regions have played a nonexistent role in the strategy of the game.

For capped games, and especially fog capped games, the gameplay could be very good. I'm no expert in capped games though.
Capitals could also be good on this map. Again, not my area of expertise.

Personally I would advocate splitting every single region into two, in order to make regions viable. This would, however, require a massive graphical overhaul (on colours) and the nation symbols probably wouldn't fit if you needed to double their numbers (which would be a shame because they look cool). On another note, the theme is not meant to be taken seriously, but it does make it sound like the geography is based on scientific projections, when I'm guessing it's not haha
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Hoodlum wrote:
jungle of despair. i was just playing around with my wonderdraft program and wanted to make some trees and there were lots of trees in JOD,
I don't have much enthusiasm to attempt it anytime soon.
i don't mind the gameplay. i've had a few fun fog games on it.

Earth 20200, I had fun with it. i have dabbled with a few large fantasy maps and they all had lots of small bonuses, i deliberately wanted to make a balanced futuristic world, where any continent could seem to be the super power.