If you can't beat the computer, you have no chance of beating me
  • 35 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
Vexer wrote:
I'm gonna be honest here and simply state that a lot of the players on this site don't really understand the game that well.

A couple years ago I helped program computer players for the game TurboRisk. If you can't beat the computer players on level 'very hard' with the default rules then you should probably practice before trying to play real players.

It's also a good way to pass the time while you are waiting for games to start.

There is also a computer player I programed called 'Vexer', if you can't beat the computer version of Vexer, how do you ever expect to beat the real thing? I only got around to programming Vexer for increasing card games. Vexer can't win fixed card games.

The default map is kinda lame but there are other map options - and i will be updating a map for TurboRisk soon.

If you have any questions about TurboRisk or you can't figure out how to play against the computer version of Vexer, post your problem here.

Download Link:
http://www.marioferrari.org/freeware/turborisk/turborisk.html

The game is free by the way - no ads.
Thorpe wrote:
Yes I have played against Vexer on TurboRisk and is one hard player to beat, but beat him I did!

But he is still ahead of me in wins!...Dang lucky! and Tricky guy!
What the graphics lack, the game play with the players makes up for!

I would love this on D12!
With better graphics!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
you have to change player to vexer
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
cody224 wrote:
I think I got lucky the first 3 times against computer vexer, but I've lost the other 5.
Vexer wrote:
Most players on the site don't seem to know how many troops you're going to need in order to be able to kill a player off. I wrote the Vexer bot for TurboRisk to show everyone that in increasing card games, killing a player for their cards is more important than taking regions. So it's important to know how many troops you are going to need.

After running thousands of game simulations with Vexer on TurboRisk, I came up with a formula for determining how many troops you will need that rarely fails to kill the player.
In the formula the word player refers to the player you are trying to kill.
Here it is:

player armies + player territories + player territories/3 + 3
If you have to place troops in multiple locations in order to make the kill then you should add 3 for every additional location.

If you need a quicker formula for live games that is a close approximation. use this:
player armies + player territories + 10
you can get player armies and territories from the stats table

If you have to go through another player in order to get to the player you are going to kill then you have to add the armies on those territories plus 1 for each territory and + 3 in case you get crap dice.

It's never wise to try to kill player 2 unless you are sure you have enough to kill them, otherwise you are handing the game to player 3.
Pntbttr wrote:
First of all I dont think you need to have to win very hard...I am pretty sure I have trouble with that (although I havent played in a long time). Try playing 7 Vexer bots it is kinda funny they only take a few territories and normally they dont kill each other and then you take over the world and they hold like 7-20 territories and then you just kill them off...^_^ Vexers cant work together
Vexer wrote:
That's funny pntbttr, never tried playing with 7 vexer's. At some point I will get around to modifying vexer so that it doesn't target human players. It should make it a more reasonable game.

I didn't say you have to be able to beat 'very hard', i said if you can't beat it, then you need practice.
Pntbttr wrote:
Is there any difference between the download you have on your extra thingy at the bottom of all your posts and the one you posted at the top of this page?
Vexer wrote:
nope, same link. I just wanted to bring extra attention to this cause we have a lot of new players that really need some practice.
Vexer wrote:
it used to get updates all the time back when version 2 was being developed but one of the programmers is satisfied with his bots and I have been spending my time on this site so there haven't been updates in awhile. But there will be updates to 2 of the maps soon. I have submitted them to the program's creator and he should be releasing them soon.