• 57 posts
  • Page 1 of 4
armstrong101 wrote:
Hi folks

It seems the extra time button doesn't work for me. This is a problem particularly in multi-player live games.
Is it just me or is something going on?

Thanks.
What am I on? I'm on my bike.
Matty wrote:
Ehhh, that should work. You are using it when it's your turn, right?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
armstrong101 wrote:
Yes.

I just get that red rectangular bar show up, and the circular clock thing spinning around by the button, but the extra time doesn't appear.
armstrong101 wrote:
Is it possible for the mods to deny a player the use of extra time. I recall some weeks back a player in a game I was playing complained that I used it because he thought I was delaying the game (I wasn't, I was at work), and he may have gone to complain.

I haven't had use of the button a while now come to think of it. Impossible to play multiplayer with this shortcoming.
elysium5 wrote:
I sen't you a PM
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
armstrong101 wrote:
https://dominating12.com/game/960351

This is the game that got your add-time function suspended.

-------------------------------------------

OK. That's pretty harsh. 

I see on two turns, out of 11, I took my time.

2 Dec, 19:58:17
armstrong101 ran out of time.

12 Dec, 19:47:18
armstrong101 ran out of time.

Umm... I thought it was in our right to use our extra time turns as we see fit? We're limited at 2 so that the option is not abused. So given the fail-safe, what issue do you have with the way I played? If people don't like others using extra time in live games, then they shouldn't play live games. I don't have an issue with others using extra time in the games I play, even when I have to go. Because it's in the rules for them to do that, and the option is there for them to use.

armstrong101 wrote:
The punishment I have for not being able to use extra time affects my ability to satisfy the first rule of this site, which is to "Play to win".

In multi-player, if I'm trying to take out another person, I have 3 mins to (1) decide whether I'm strong enough to eliminate someone, (2) deploy correctly, (3) eliminate all that opponent's troops, which is difficult if he has a lot of troops for me to kill. It'll prevent me from "playing to win" because without enough time, I probably won't have enough time to eliminate him, meaning, I"ll miss. So that'll basically look like a murder-suicide.

If you guys are OK with that, then I"ll go play multi-players, and miss my eliminations, thereby ruin games. I'll just point them to this thread. Not my fault, really. I wanted to win.
elysium5 wrote:
Ok, if you want to discuss it here instead...you didn't use your add time to try and make a play. You used it to purposely drag the game out for no good reason. That is not the intended use of the add time function. It is an abuse of the feature and it is certainly not "playing to win."
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
armstrong101 wrote:
Umm... I play at work. 98% of my games are live. That was the case in that game.

You have no idea why we might add time. You aren't here beside me.

Sometimes I play my turns slowly because I know in the next few minutes I might have to do something. I sometimes let time run out rather than end my turn. I'm not the only person who does this. I see this in 2p games, and the guy eventually disappears because he had to leave, but was obviously trying to do stuff and remain in the game. How can you tell what the intent was?

I was occupied doing other stuff. Every other one of my moves was played efficiently. You don't have proof of intent. All you have is an accusation and I"m denying it.

elysium5 wrote:
Ok, then. You want to quote the play to win rule to justify ruining multi player games in the future because of the restriction but you want to ignore the other rules like this one?

7. Take your turns or resign
Missed turns ruin games. It is disrespectful to make players wait for your timer to run out before they can take their turn. Disrespect is not tolerated on this site.
armstrong101 wrote:
elysium5
That is not the intended use of the add time function. It is an abuse of the feature and it is certainly not "playing to win."

I'll mention that sometimes opponents complain about everyone playing "too slow" and that person requesting everyone to play faster. Usually, it's because they need to leave. 

An appropriate tactic, in that case, is to play slowly if one doesn't have any time constraints. Is that playing to win? It is, because in addition to gameplay, winning risk requires the time to play the game. If people in live games with me don't want to commit the time to play the game, that's on them, and a reason for them to lose.
armstrong101 wrote:
Missed turns ruin games. It is disrespectful to make players wait for your timer to run out before they can take their turn. Disrespect is not tolerated on this site.

I was busy on those 2 turns.

Again, you are accusing me of something without any proof.
armstrong101 wrote:

Speaking of disrespect, in the chat:

12 Dec, 19:34
kitoos: u are a kid

Umm... that was disrespectful. Was he punished for that? The intent in that comment is pretty clear.

elysium5 wrote:
So which is it? You were using it as a strategy or you were busy working?

Please don't try and bend the rules to fit what you did.

If you were too busy at work, you should have resigned and let people know in the chat (and probably should rethink playing while working as well as your attention certainly can't be that focuses on playing to win if you have no time to play.

If you were supposedly using it as a strategy, what exactly was the strategy? You started your turn and then added extra time not doing anything after and let your time run out without making any moves.

And before someone called you a kid, you called someone a dork. That is also disrespect, is it not? I guess you should receive the same punishment you have requested for that?
armstrong101 wrote:
Both. I was a work, busy, and trying to keep myself in the game, so it was strategy.

He was a dork. I let him finish a continent, then he attacked me, breaking up mine, then I broke up his on my next turn. It was a stupid play for him. If he had just left me alone, I would've left him alone.