The site will encounter several hours of complete downtime (Tuesday, January 12) to migrate to a new codebase.
  • 20 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Matty wrote:
Server downtime: site migration
The site will encounter several hours of complete downtime to migrate to a new codebase.

The past couple of months, two programmers (Matty and Cireon) have completely rewritten the site on a new framework. This means the site will be easier to maintain, and it will be easier to add new features as well.

During the migration, we need to take the website down entirely. Around 9:00am GMT tomorrow (Tuesday January 12) starting turns and adding time in long term games will be disabled, as well as the creation of new games. At roughly 10:00am GMT, all remaining live games will be ended and the site will go down entirely. It is unknown how long exactly the migration will take, but it will be at least several hours.

The new website made some improvements to account security. Since we are unable to retrieve your passwords to translate them to the new system, all passwords will be invalidated during the migration. Once we finished the migration, we will gradually be sending out password reset emails, but you can also use the "forgot password" option on the new site if you can't wait.

The first few days after the migration we will be actively monitoring for bugs and performance. Please be reminded to purposely using bugs to gain an unfair advantage can lead to disciplinary action. If you encounter a bug, report it on the forums and our programmers will try to fix it as soon as possible.

Our apologies for the inconvenience in advance.

About the rewritten website
The site is currently written on top of a framework that is no longer maintained. To make sure that Dominating12.com can guarantee security, quality, and performance in the future, it was decided last Summer that the site would be rebuilt from the ground up.

The new website looks almost the same as what you are used to, but the entire backend is new. This means you will be able to enjoy the website just as you're used to, but it will be possible to add new options and make improvements to the website more easily.

The rewrite also gave the programmers a chance to work on all the small little itches the site had given them. You will notice that a lot of small things have changed to make the website more user friendly. Some things have moved, so it may take some getting used to, but the feedback from all the testers has been exclusively positive, and we're sure you will enjoy the new site with us.

There are also a few new features to enjoy, including but not limited to:
- A friends & avoid list;
- Customisable game settings, including the already existing colour blind popups and the option to hide your rank in games manually;
- Small animations that show you what is changing on the battlefield, making it easier to watch/observe a game;
- The ability to filter invites based on their turn length or inviter;
- Using preset chat in team games;
- A limit on the number of live games per day and a way of getting around them using tokens;

There are also an all new map browser and lobby layout, and the programmers have worked closely together with the team - in particular the map makers - to improve the staff tools.

While the list of things to improve is still big, we feel that the new website has done a good job in turning Dominating 12 in an even better experience. Please let us know what you think on the forums once the site is up, we love to hear your thoughts.

Credits
Programming: Matty, Cireon
Testing: aeronautic, BETA, cbt711, Crystal, elysium5, Fendi, Hoodlum, PsymonStark, Stratosphere, Sygmassacre, The_Bishop, Vexer, Virtuosity98 (I apologise if I forgot somebody!)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
zaovisier wrote:
Thank you for the heads up. Live games will be ended, but am I reading right, long term games will simply be .. "inaccessible?"
Matty wrote:
Long term games will be paused and once the site is back online everyone will have another day (or maybe two) to take their turns and continue like normal.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks Matty and Cireon for the great job and everybody who helped in some way.
New features look very interesting, I can't wait to see the new site!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I love the filter in the Long Term Games lobby. Looking forward to the changeover. :) Thanks Matty and Cireon!
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

momagajic wrote:
What can I do ,i cant log in into my mail ,its impossible ...how can I get a my pasword
Cireon wrote:
Get in contact with the staff through the contact form. An administrator can help you with changing the provided email address.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Vexer wrote:
If anyone used a temporary email address to create their account they will need to get their email updated by messaging an Admin. If you can't access your account you do not need to create a new one in order to contact an admin. Use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
Quadrod wrote:
Virtuosity98
I love the filter in the Long Term Games lobby. Looking forward to the changeover. :) Thanks Matty and Cireon!
I really do not like the new configuration settings! My dislike isn't between one configuration or another, but it's the whole thing ! Just it UNDO and every thing will be fine .
Thanks
Quadrod
robit wrote:
love the work! it's nice.
Question - https://dominating12.com/game/594951

in that map, I just finished my turn and my partner is next (all other players have been eliminated) and the timer has 1 hour left not 24 hours left. 

Team Map, I finished my turn and then my partner is next up due to players being eliminated.
Not sure if I posted this in the correct spot, if not please let me know.

Thanks!
robit wrote:
NM, it just reset, took about 5 - 10 minutes. not sure if that is something to look into.
overall, thanks for the updates, pretty cool stuff so far.
Anok wrote:
i dont like the new configuration either.
1. hitting the attack button repeatedly but when you concour it the "attack" button automatically becomes the "move" button..that ends up moving you armies when you dont want to.
2. The action buttons are off to the top right of the screen, attack,move, etc. But the more prominent line of sight is the top middle unfortunately its been reserved for notification of what stage of your turn you are in. 

Cireon wrote:
We are going to take another look at the new configuration, Anok, but we're focussing on the more critical bugs right now.

Thanks for you patience.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
DamoreNemesis wrote:
Quick note on another bug - nothing critical, but:

In fog of war games, when the game ends, the game log doesn't show the full history - it still only shows what you could see during the game.